Moving around in Wordfast Classic
Thread poster: Viivi
Viivi
Finland
Local time: 19:33
Apr 4, 2012

Hello all!

I have a rookie question: How do I move around in a document while translating it with Wordfast Classic?

I mean when I would like to translate something further down the document or go back to change translations in segments I have already dealt with. Everytime I try to activate a segment with shift + alt + down, I end up messing up the segmentation. For example, Wordfast combines the source language segment and my previous translation into one new source segment, when I would just like to revise my earlier translation, and the real problem is that I cannot undo the new segmentation. I suppose I am placing my cursor in the wrong place when hitting shift + alt + down...?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxchristela
It seems that you deleted segment delimiters Apr 4, 2012

In each case, the file you are working on is now corrupted. I suggest you start all over again, with an empty TM, first on a small file, until you know what you are doing.
First translate the file normally, segment per segment, with Alt +Down.
Then make corrections.
Be sure that the segment delimiters, which are in hidden text, appear (you can use the Ctrl +comma toggle) and do not delete them.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
ForceSegment can only be used on unsegmented portions Apr 4, 2012

Viivi wrote:
I mean when I would like to translate something further down the document or go back to change translations in segments I have already dealt with. Everytime I try to activate a segment with shift + alt + down, I end up messing up the segmentation. For example, Wordfast combines the source language segment and my previous translation into one new source segment, when I would just like to revise my earlier translation, and the real problem is that I cannot undo the new segmentation. I suppose I am placing my cursor in the wrong place when hitting shift + alt + down...?

Please note that ForceSegment works by selecting ("painting") a portion of text, just putting the cursor somewhere is not sufficient. Also note that you can only use it on unsegmented portions of text: you cannot use it to jump back to an already segmented portion of text. If you want to move to an already segmented portion of text, you need to close your session (Alt+End), move the cursor to the segment you want to reopen and press Alt+Down to open a new session.

PS: suosittelen liittymistä suomenkieliselle postituslistalle (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast_fi/ ).

Viivi
Finland
TOPIC STARTER
Wrong function, I guess. Apr 5, 2012

Thank you both! I guess I was using the wrong function.

I have since discovered alt + up and combined it with alt + down to move around. Takes time though, so alt + end and alt + down would seem more efficient. Where exactly do I need to place my cursor? Before the segment delimiters of the source text segment? After them?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Position of curson doesn't matter, as long as it's within the segment Apr 5, 2012

Viivi wrote:
I have since discovered alt + up and combined it with alt + down to move around.

Yes, Wordfast has a "reverse gear", which is missing from Trados Workbench

Viivi wrote:
Takes time though, so alt + end and alt + down would seem more efficient. Where exactly do I need to place my cursor? Before the segment delimiters of the source text segment? After them?

When you reopen a segment (ie. a portion of text that has already been segmented), the cursor can be anywhere in that segment: source, target or even delimiters.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving around in Wordfast Classic

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search