Worfast Pro for Mac - overlapping terms get mixed up
Thread poster: Luca Balestra

Luca Balestra  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:54
Japanese to English
Apr 5, 2012

Hi,

I usually work from Japanese to English (US) on Wordfast Pro for Mac (version 2.4.1).
Some of the terms in my glossaries contain smaller terms listed in the same glossary, as in

受託 contract
受託加工 consigned processing

where 受託加工 contains the characters 受託. The problem is that, when I use "Copy Source" to translate 受託加工, the two translations above come out mixed up ("consigned procescontractng"). This happens pretty much with any two terms having the same relationship as the two above.

How can I avoid this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Luca

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
Finnish to French
Upgrade to the current version Apr 5, 2012

It's probably a glitch in the old version you are using. I don't know about 2.4.4, but only one term is copied with 3.0.

United Kingdom
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
version 2.4.4 does not fix it... Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for your reply.

I have installed 2.4.4 but now the two terms above are just copied one after the other as opposed to mixed ("contract consigned processing").

Judging from the download section on the Wordfast website, 2.4.4 seems to be the latest version. I take it 3. has yet to come out?

Thanks,
Luca

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
Finnish to French
2.4.4 vs. 3.0 Apr 5, 2012

Luca Balestra wrote:
I have installed 2.4.4 but now the two terms above are just copied one after the other as opposed to mixed ("contract consigned processing").

So it looks like if you have two versions of the same term, a shorter one and a longer one, both will be copied. I have tested it yet, but this may well be the case. In the same situation, Wordfast Classic would only recognize (and copy) the longer term.

Luca Balestra wrote:
Judging from the download section on the Wordfast website, 2.4.4 seems to be the latest version. I take it 3. has yet to come out?

Yes, 2.4.4 (released in December 2011) is the latest public version, but 3.0 should be out any day now.

United Kingdom
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I see Apr 5, 2012

In this case, the way Wordfast Classic handles it makes more sense to me.
Good to know about Wordfast 3.0! Will wait for it then

Thanks again.
Luca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Worfast Pro for Mac - overlapping terms get mixed up

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search