segmentation in Wordfast Classic
Thread poster: karen henry

karen henry  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
French to English
Apr 6, 2012

Hi,

While translating document one of the target segments now has what was previously the next two segments in it, ie. it has the translation of the previous source segment, plus the next target text with its translation!

I can't work out how I did this, except that maybe it has something to do with the delimiters, has anybody got an idea? Is it possible to delete delimiters without knowing and can you replace them (copy and paste)? I'd also like to know how to put it right please!

I was also wondering how you can go back to a previous segment without having to move up through all the segments, and can I go back to a segment by clicking on it with the cursor to then change it even though its not selected? I hope you follow me!

Thanks for any advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Delimiters Apr 6, 2012

It sounds like you may have messed up some delimiters, or else part of your document has gone "rogue". There are a few ways to fix this problem.

1) Revert back to a backup copy of your file (made before the problem happened)

2) Alt-delete the segment (not the whole file!!), and then manually fix things up (yes, you can copy/paste delimiters, or copy paste the original source text back where it should be using a backup copy of the source file ... )

Do some testing on a COPY of your file because fiddling with delimiters can be tricky.

IN order to be able to modify delimiters, I think you have to turn off "protection" which is either ALT F12 or CNT F12 (check the manual, I can't remember the key combination). This "protection" can be toggled on and off as needed so you can modify.

Honestly, when this happens to me, I always revert back to a backup copy, it's easier. I do lots of backup copies I never seem to be able to get the delimiters back the way they should be.

Sometimes certain parts of a document just refuse to behave properly, mostly this happens to me in word tables. When that happens, you just fix things up manually.

As for your other question, it sounds like you haven't yet discovered ALT + END which closes the current segment and ends the translation session. Once you ALT + END, simply place your cursor wherever you want to go and ALT + DOWN to open that segment again. You can jump around but remember to ALT + END first.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Delimiters Apr 7, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to explain things Lori. When you say revert back to a back up copy, is that a copy of the file in wordfast and when you copy and paste a segment will it be pasted with its segment 'box'? Otherwise I don't see how I can re-create segment boxes, if you follow me!

I know about ALT+ END but I didn't think to use it in order to go back to another segment I thought it was just for when you closed the document.

Lastly, what do you mean by gone 'rouge'? The manual doesn't mention that!

Many thanks.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
backup copies Apr 8, 2012

No, I mean copies of the file that you make *yourself* as you go along, as a safeguard in case anything goes awry. I email copies of my working file to myself on a regular basis throughout the day. If something happens to my file at say 1:30 (computer crash, problems with delimiters...), then I just open my copy from 12:00 and keep on translating on the copy. Translations are stored in the TM, so it doesn't take long to get back to where I was. I also keep a copy of the source file, you never know! With a backup copy, you just retranslate by hitting alt+down and the parts you already translated will show up as 100% matches until you get back to where you were in the file before the problem happened.

By a "rogue" file I mean a file that has problems itself, strange formatting, weird issues that don't happen in other files... leading to problems with segmentation and delimiters. Sometimes certain segments just won't cooperate

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
backup copies Apr 9, 2012

Thanks for the tips

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:51
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Easy way out Apr 9, 2012

karen henry wrote:
While translating document one of the target segments now has what was previously the next two segments in it, ie. it has the translation of the previous source segment, plus the next target text with its translation!

That often happens to me, typically when the first sentence ends with a number and a closing parenthesis, which my Wordfast doesn't take as a segment delimiter.
My response to this is
  1. Select and copy (with Ctrl+C) the offered text in the target segment (if you want to use it as the starting point for your translation of the correct segment).
  2. Press Alt+Delete to delete the target segment and return the corresponding source segments to the unsegmented state.
  3. Manually select the correct source segment (e.g. click the mouse at one end of the segment, hold Shift and click the other end).
  4. Tell Wordfast that the selected text is the next segment (i.e. "force segmentation": Shift+Alt+Down-arrow).
  5. You can now press Ctrl+V, if appropriate, to deposit the previously copied text into the new target segment, and then edit the target segment as usual.

Oliver

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 12, 2012

Great! Thanks very much Oliver I'll try that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

segmentation in Wordfast Classic

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search