Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Machine translation in all three Wordfast clients (Anywhere, Pro, Classic)
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
Finnish to French
Apr 15, 2012

I just published a video on using MT with all three Wordfast clients (Anywhere, Pro and Classic):

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/04/15/machine-translation-in-all-three-wordfast-clients/
or
http://youtu.be/xFnbN239J5Q?hd=1

Direct link Reply with quote

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:46
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thank you Apr 15, 2012

for helping us getting to know our CAT tools better, I find your videos very helpful.

And I would love it if you made some videos on PB please!

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
About PB Apr 15, 2012

Diana Coada wrote:
And I would love it if you made some videos on PB please!

I'll think about it. So many things to cover, so little time...

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:46
English to French
+ ...
The question is: which version does it aply to? Apr 15, 2012

I am an avid follower of what you put on the Web Dominique, but , somehow frustrated because all the improvements mentioned apply to new versions of Wordfast Pro or Classic that I have NO access to by going (repeatedly) on the wordfast site. Beta versions are no use to us if we cannot download them, or is there something I am missing?

Claudette

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
WFP 2.4.4 or newer, WFC 6.02 or newer Apr 16, 2012

Claudette Hepburn wrote:
I am an avid follower of what you put on the Web Dominique, but , somehow frustrated because all the improvements mentioned apply to new versions of Wordfast Pro or Classic that I have NO access to by going (repeatedly) on the wordfast site. Beta versions are no use to us if we cannot download them, or is there something I am missing?

Sorry, I should have mentioned the version requirements. In the video, I used Wordfast Pro 3.0, but 2.4.4 (the currently available version) is sufficient. For details, see:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2011/11/03/wordfast-pro-supports-google-translate-api-v2/

As to Wordfast Classic, you need version 6.02 or newer. This is a beta version for the time being. The latest version (which is the one I used in the video) is 6.03m, and you can get it at:

wordfast.net > products > download > Download a beta version of Wordfast Classic (it's a link on the right-hand side of the window)

Both WFP 3.0 and WFC 6.03 should be released to the public very soon, but I'm not the one who makes the decision.

As to machine translation providers, you'll need API keys for Google and Microsoft, as explained here:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2011/10/18/how-to-obtain-a-google-translate-api-v2-key/
http://youtu.be/On-n0bw1iIA?hd=1

For Worldlingo (available in Anywhere and Classic, but not Pro), you don't need any key.

NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
French to English
What about desktop MT systems Apr 16, 2012

Thanks Dominique for your excellent videos but can we have one on how to link up some of the major desktop MT systems to WF! These respect confidentiality agreements and when well programmed can give better results than GT. Despite the instructions in the WF manual I have never been able to seamlessly link Systran Premium for instance

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Desktop-based MT software Apr 16, 2012

NR_Stedman wrote:
Thanks Dominique for your excellent videos but can we have one on how to link up some of the major desktop MT systems to WF! These respect confidentiality agreements and when well programmed can give better results than GT. Despite the instructions in the WF manual I have never been able to seamlessly link Systran Premium for instance

Unfortunately, I have no access to any desktop-based MT software, so I can't make videos about them. I don't know about Systran, but ProMT (http://shop.promt.com/store/promt/ContentTheme/pbPage.english_Downloads ) does work with Wordfast Classic. You can ask Aleksandr Okunev on the WFC list about it.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Know-how Apr 16, 2012

NR_Stedman wrote:

I would appreciate some easy to understand instructions on exactly how to programme Systran, as I bought a licence last year and found the new version much more complicated to use than the ancient version I still have and occasionally use. In fact, I no longer use the new version at all, as I find it too confusing and certainly not as helpful as the earlier one. The official site is not helpful.

As for MT with WF, I couldn't manage to configure my setup to do that either. I only have basic IT skills and if something can't be easily installed and set up in less than half an hour, I tend to give up. I would willingly pay for someone to configure it so that I could just start working with it right away, but I don't know anyone that can do it for me.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do I need an API too? Apr 16, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

As to machine translation providers, you'll need API keys for Google and Microsoft, ...

I already pay for a licence to use GT4T - would I still need an API key to set it up to work with WF Classic?

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, API key needed for Google and Microsoft Apr 16, 2012

neilmac wrote:
I already pay for a licence to use GT4T - would I still need an API key to set it up to work with WF Classic?

You cannot extract the API key included in GT4T: it's not yours, it's in the name of the author of GT4T. He probably has a single key that he has encrypted inside GT4T, and he's paying for the usage of all users of GT4T. He then must hope the license fees collected from the sales of GT4T will cover what Google is charging him for the combined use of their service by all GT4T users.

Bottom line: if you plan to use Google Translate and/or Microsoft Translator in Wordfast, you will need your own key. As previously noted, Microsoft Translator is free in practice for freelance translators, so all you need to do is getting the key. Obtaining the key from Google is also free, but you need to supply your credit card info: you will then be charged for usage on a monthly basis. If you don't use their service (with your personal key), you won't be charged anything.

Wordfast Classic has an undocumented, indirect way to access Google Translate, via mymemory.translated.net: if you tick 'Google Translate', but don't enter an API key, Google Translate will be queried via MyMemory. It's most likely going to be slower and less reliable (timeouts more frequent), but who said there's something as a free lunch.

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
PC Translator in MS Word Apr 16, 2012

NR_Stedman wrote:

Despite the instructions in the WF manual I have never been able to seamlessly link Systran Premium for instance

I do not have Systran. I use PC Translator.

http://www.langsoft.cz/demoverzeA.html

PC Translator can be used in MS Word and in WFC:

http://www.condak.net/machine_t/cs/g_en_vi/cs/12.html

A command in WFC to use PC Translator: Translator (It is all, what I need to do.)

The sold dictionary are only XXtoCzech or XXtoSlovak.

Here is a link for downloanding empty dictionary:

http://www.langsoft.cz/aktualizace.htm

Empty dictionary for filling with own terminology

PRÁZDNÝ SLOVNÍK pro plnění vlastní slovní zásoby: EMPTYDIC.exe

If I put EN-FR language pair as Empty I can in recent versions (2009, 2010, 2012) use TM (import or export TMX). In version 2007 work MT only with Dictionary.

http://www.condak.net/tmx/tm-pctrans/cs/empty.html

In version 2012 can be in PC Translator activated API key for GT and Bing. The keys are the same as for Wordfast.

Milan

big_fish  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Your videos are very useful Apr 19, 2012

Dominique thanks for your very clear and helpful videos!
They were very useful when google started the paid service and I was quite confused how to go about it.
Even though google charges for the service they I can't find a way to reach them and ask if something goes wrong.
Additionally this is a case that involves interfacing of the software and the services provided, so who should I ask?
A common issue is a service failure manifested by the following response:

"error": {
"errors": [
{
"domain": "global",
"reason": "required",
"message": "Required parameter: q",
"locationType": "parameter",
"location": "q"
},
{
"message": "Required parameter: target",
"locationType": "parameter",
"location": "target"
}
],
"code": 400,
"message": "Required parameter: q"
}
}

Do you Dominique, or anyone have a clue how to fix it?
The key is valid and renewing it doesn't help.
Am I the only one who copes with this issue on a daily basis?
Thanks for any suggestions!

Krzysztof

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Which version of Wordfast? Apr 19, 2012

big_fish wrote:

{

Which version of Wordfast do you get this error message with? Since all three versions (Anywhere, Classic, Pro) support Google Translate, I would enter my key in all three and translate a few sample segments. This should tell you whether your key is valid or not, or whether the problem lies in one particular client.
I use Google Translate mostly in Wordfast Classic and it runs like clockwork (high-end Swiss watch!)

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Microsoft Translator Apr 19, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
As previously noted, Microsoft Translator is free in practice for freelance translators, so all you need to do is getting the key.

Well, it seems it's no longer the case:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh454950.aspx

Bing AppID mechanism is deprecated and is no longer supported. As mentioned above, you must obtain an access token to use the Microsoft Translator API. The access token is more secure, OAuth standard compliant, and more flexible. Users who are using Bing AppID are strongly recommended to get an access token as soon as possible.

big_fish  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
WF Classic Apr 19, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

big_fish wrote:

{

Which version of Wordfast do you get this error message with?

I've just checked it with Anywhere and it works fine there.
I am using the latest beta of WF Classic (I update WF as soon as new betas are published).
Sorry I didn't mention it, but it seems to be independent of the version.
I've had a lot of these messages with all the previous betas, or most of them.

The problem is only with WF Classic. It finally stopped responding at all.
I've tested a few older betas and I am getting the error response I pasted earlier.

Krzysztof

[Edited at 2012-04-19 10:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine translation in all three Wordfast clients (Anywhere, Pro, Classic)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search