WF Pro, Number Replacement on TM Match Not Working
Thread poster: Stefan Stefanov

Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:50
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Apr 17, 2012

Title says it all: when a match is found in the TM, the numbers are not automatically replaced altough I have ticked the option.

Example:

In the source I have:
{ut1}(4) (Предишна ал.3 - ДВ, бр.80 от 2009 г.)

The auto filled in target is:
{ut1}(5) (Former paragraph 4, SG i.80/2009)

and the indicated match score is 98%.

This is not an isolated case, of course. This, coupled with the non-working custom segmentation settings, is really annoying.

Running latest version of WF Pro (2.4.4) on Win 7 Ultimate x64.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Original TU in the TM? Apr 17, 2012

Stefan Stefanov wrote:
In the source I have:

What did you have in your TM? In other words, what was the TU (source + target) that produced the fuzzy match you reported above?

One pitfall I can spot is "ал.3", in which there is no space between "ал." and "3". In order to achieve number substitution, you should have a space between them.

The same probably applies to "6p.80": you would need to have "6 p. 80" in order to achieve correct substitution.

Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No space Apr 17, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Stefan Stefanov wrote:
In the source I have:

What did you have in your TM? In other words, what was the TU (source + target) that produced the fuzzy match you reported above?

One pitfall I can spot is "ал.3", in which there is no space between "ал." and "3". In order to achieve number substitution, you should have a space between them.

The same probably applies to "6p.80": you would need to have "6 p. 80" in order to achieve correct substitution.

You're probably right. There's no space there but that's just the way it's always (or most often) written. I thought Wordfast recognises the actual numbers, without checking if there's a space before them or not - especially since there is a dot (full stop).

I could understand why Wordfast would "think" the number part of a proper name if there's no dot, e.g. John8 but the full stop should be a clear indfication that the number is not part of a proper name.

But then again, why doesn't WF replace the number in the brackets (the paragraph number)?

[Edited at 2012-04-17 19:12 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
WFP3 can do it Apr 17, 2012

Stefan Stefanov wrote:
You're probably right. There's no space there but that's just the way it's always (or most often) written. I thought Wordfast recognises the actual numbers, without checking if there's a space before them or not - especially since there is a dot (full stop).

I could understand why Wordfast would "think" the number part of a proper name if there's no dot, e.g. John8 but the full stop should be a clear indfication that the number is not part of a proper name.

But then again, why doesn't WF replace the number in the brackets (the paragraph number)?

WFP 3.0 will do numeric substitution for items like (1) and BMW320, as shown here:

http://screencast.com/t/FzFX2WeU1V

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Pro, Number Replacement on TM Match Not Working

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search