Is WordFast not compatible with MS Word 2010?
Thread poster: Sarah McDowell

Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:11
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 23, 2012

Over the weekend I downloaded the trial version of Wordfast classic. My reason for trying it is because I don't have any CAT tools and agencys are starting to ask me if I have CAT tools so I thought I would give Wordfast a try.

Needless to say, I HATED it! I could not get the Wordfast tab to display in the ribbon at the top of Word. I am talking about the very top line where it says "File, Home, Insert, etc." I mean even something as basic as the display did not even function. Is it because it was just a trial version?

Also, I was following the instructions provided on Wordfast.com but these were written for a previous version of Word so they didn't help me much.

Is there any other CAT tool which is easier for a beginner to learn? Also, are CAT tools absolutely necessary for someone just starting out in the translation business?

Thanks for reading.

Sarah

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
Finnish to French
Try following the installation instructions Apr 23, 2012

Sarah McDowell wrote:
Over the weekend I downloaded the trial version of Wordfast classic. My reason for trying it is because I don't have any CAT tools and agencys are starting to ask me if I have CAT tools so I thought I would give Wordfast a try.

Needless to say, I HATED it! I could not get the Wordfast tab to display in the ribbon at the top of Word. I am talking about the very top line where it says "File, Home, Insert, etc." I mean even something as basic as the display did not even function. Is it because it was just a trial version?

It should be possible to install the trial version just like the licensed version. Have you tried to follow the detailed instructions found here:

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=156-27

If you don't see the 'Add-ins' tab (under which the Wordfast menu and toolbar is located), select File > Options > Customize Ribbon and make sure 'Add-ins' is ticked.

If you don't see the toolbar with blueish icons in the title bar on top, you can add it manually, using the following instructions:

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=185-21

In some circumstances, that toolbar fails to be created (this occurs with version 6.01g and Word 2010)

Sarah McDowell wrote:
Also, I was following the instructions provided on Wordfast.com but these were written for a previous version of Word so they didn't help me much.

You will find more information about Wordfast Classic on wordfast.net.

Sarah McDowell wrote:
Is there any other CAT tool which is easier for a beginner to learn? Also, are CAT tools absolutely necessary for someone just starting out in the translation business?

Most translators who use a CAT tool will tell you there is no way they would switch back to the old way of translating. But learning how to use a CAT tool is a bit like learning how to drive a car: you can't just get started in five minutes.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
It should work OK Apr 23, 2012

I have WF Classic on 2 PCs running XP and one laptop running Windows 7. A colleague downloaded the WF demo recently on her new W7 laptop and it worked too.

It took us a while to get used to the Windows 7 interface (they moved all the basic command tabs) and the WF toolbar comes up much smaller than in XP but it works all the same.

Don't give up just yet!

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
AFAIK WF is the easiest Apr 23, 2012

Sarah McDowell wrote:

Sarah

I think if you persevere with WF you will be pleased with the results. It is certainly the easiest and fastest to install and learn to use that I have come across (up and running the same day as installation). I suspect your teething troubles may have more to with Windows7 than with WF. (You may need to "allow" something by ticking a box somewhere, but I have to get my tech guy to do all that stuff for me).

As for your 2nd query, no, CAT tools are NOT a prerequisite for translators, but without them in your arsenal you are losing out on a lot of opportunities, especially if just starting out. There are a lot of opportunities in your pair nowadays, so my advice is to kit yourself out with at least some kind assistance, if only to maximise your options.

Good luck

[Edited at 2012-04-23 14:53 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
Finnish to French
Try Wordfast Anywhere Apr 24, 2012

Sarah McDowell wrote:
Is there any other CAT tool which is easier for a beginner to learn?

Since it appears your main problem with Wordfast Classic was related to installing it (which is admittedly not an easy task for a beginner if you don't have detailed instructions), you may want to consider Wordfast Anywhere, which requires no installation at all: since it's browser-based, all you need is a connection to the internet. And best of all, it is free and has no restrictions regarding TM size.

Translation memories created in Wordfast Anywhere can be downloaded and used later on in Wordfast Classic and/or Wordfast Pro. The same applies to glossaries. The user interface of Anywhere is very similar to that of Classic, so once you know one, it's very easy to use the other.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is WordFast not compatible with MS Word 2010?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search