Half the document already in English.
Thread poster: wiltom
wiltom
France
Local time: 03:45
French to English
Apr 25, 2012

Hello,

I am translating a document from French to English. Approximately half the document is already in English and I have also been given a TM.

How can I differentiate between the segments that the TM has translated and the segments already in English from the segments I have worked on myself?

Is it possible to only bring the French parts of the documents into Wordfast or is there a way that I can differentiate, in the save translated file, between the the text already in English and my translations?

The document has 12,000 words which will all have to be checked in the translated file if I can't differentiate them although I am only being paid for half of them.

Any ideas?

Thanky

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try this Apr 25, 2012

Wordfast ignores text formatted as "Hidden" in Word, so just format all your English sections as "Hidden" , to do that just select the text right click select Font and mark the "Hidden" box.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:45
French to English
+ ...
Grey highlighted font Apr 25, 2012

Or format the English text as 25% grey highlighted and then under Wordfast Setup Segments, tick Use highlighted 25% grey text as untranslatable attribute. Wordfast will then ignore these secions and you can easily see what needs to be translated as you're working. It will also ignore these parts in the analysis so you'll get a better idea of word count. Just remember to remove the highlighting at the end after clean-up. Depending on the version of Word you're using, you can also do this with marching red ants, but that seems to have disappeared form later versions.

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translate All Apr 25, 2012

In my Wordfast Pro 2.3, here's what I would do: Link to the TM, go to "Translation Memory" and hit "Translate All." This copies everything in the left column into the right column unless... there is a translation in the TM, in which case it copies in the translation.
So I would get a completely filled right side, partly in the source language, partly translated to 'the target language by the TM, and partly plain copied target language from the source.
Then I would work through the document, just skipping the pre-translated segments.

[Edited at 2012-04-25 23:59 GMT]

wiltom
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Apr 26, 2012

Thank you for your replies.

Unfortunately it is a bit late for this project as I have already wasted a lot of time with Alt+Down! Next time I think I will use Jessica's method as having to format the Word document will also take me quite a long time.

@Claire, I am using Word 2010 but I have no idea what you are referring to when you mention 'marching red ants'!

Thank you all again.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:45
Finnish to French
Red ants not available in Word 2007/2010! Apr 26, 2012

wiltom wrote:
@Claire, I am using Word 2010 but I have no idea what you are referring to when you mention 'marching red ants'!

Red ants can no longer be found in Word 2007/2010 (though you can use them via a macro imported from an older version), so you need to be using one of the other two untranslatable attributes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Half the document already in English.

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search