Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Square brackets and file management in WF Pro 3?
Thread poster: Claudia Krysztofiak

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:55
English to German
+ ...
May 2, 2012

I am new to WF Pro and trying to get some work done and I am quite at a loss here.

My text (Word file opened in WF Pro editor) contains square brackets [] and I try to enter them with the keyboard (German Microsoft keyboard) but WF Pro does not react. I can copy the brackets from the source to the target but I cannot enter them via the keyboard.

What am I doing wrong?

And the other thing: How can I tell WF Pro where to save my TMs, terminology and project files? I wish to save them to the directory that contains all work files which I backup every day but WF saves them elsewhere.

Thank you for any help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:55
Finnish to French
no square brackets here either May 2, 2012

Claudia Krysztofiak wrote:
My text (Word file opened in WF Pro editor) contains square brackets [] and I try to enter them with the keyboard (German Microsoft keyboard) but WF Pro does not react. I can copy the brackets from the source to the target but I cannot enter them via the keyboard.

Indeed, I can't enter the [ and ] characters either. This is with a Finnish/Swedish keyboard (no fancy special keyboard, just a standard laptop keyboard). On my keyboard, I should be able to obtain [ with AltGr+8 and ] with AltGr+9. No idea why these keys are not functional in WFP3.

What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing, looks like a bug to me.

And the other thing: How can I tell WF Pro where to save my TMs, terminology and project files? I wish to save them to the directory that contains all work files which I backup every day but WF saves them elsewhere.

In WFP, you can choose the location of your TM file freely. However, you can't choose the location of your terminology lists, they will end up in C:\Users\[your_user_name]\.wf_workspace\glossaries

Same with projects: a WFP project is just a folder under C:\Users\[your_user_name]\.wf_workspace, with a couple of small XML files in that folder.

Still, can't you point your backup program to the .wf_workspace folder?

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Glossary Shortcuts May 2, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Indeed, I can't enter the [ and ] characters either. This is with a Finnish/Swedish keyboard (no fancy special keyboard, just a standard laptop keyboard). On my keyboard, I should be able to obtain [ with AltGr+8 and ] with AltGr+9. No idea why these keys are not functional in WFP3.

Dear Dominique,

Ctrl+Alt+8 and Ctrl+Alt+9 are WFP glossary shortcuts. So, if you need them, you should reasign other shortcuts to "Next Term" and "Previous Term" at Edit > Preferences > Keys.

Similarly, I need to know the shortcuts used by Claudia to tell her the problematic shortcuts.

Note: Yes, AltGr or RightAlt = Ctrl+Alt

Projects (in their current format of the current versions of Wordfast Pro) are just "organizing containers"; so you do NOT need to worry much about them.

TM files are saved where you originally saved them. Still, you can use the Import button and select the option "Local TM".

All what you need is to export your glossary and import it later:

- Terminology (menu) > New/Select Glossary
- Click on "Export" button
- From "Terminology" (dropdown menu), select the glossary you want to export.
- From "Export Type", keep it "Tab Delimited"
- Click on "Browse" to select the location where you want to save your glossary and give it a proper name.
- Save > OK - An "exported successfully" message should appear.
- Now, you can copy your .txt glossary you have just exported to use again in Wordfast Classic or Pro.

To import the glossary to Wordfast Pro,

- Terminology (menu) > New/Select Glossary
- Click on "Import" button
- From "File Type", keep it "Tab Delimited"
- Click on "Browse" to select the .txt glossary you want to import; Open.
- If this is the first time you use this glossary, keep the option "Create new glossary" selected. If you want to update a glossary you already selected in WFP, check "Import into existing glossary", select the existing glossary into which you want import the terms of the other glossary, and the way you want WFP to deal with source terms that already exist.
- A message will appear telling you about the number of terms that will be imported. An "imported successfully" message should appear.
- Now, you can use the imported glossary, as usual.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

---
Best Regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Finnish to French
AltGr = Ctrl+Alt! May 3, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Thanks, Yasmin, for pointing this out! Now it makes sense why I can't get [ and ] on my keyboard. I assume they are located in the same place on a German keyboard, which I think has a layout very similar to the Finnish/Swedish keyboard layout.

What doesn't make any sense at all to me is having these crazy and cumbersome shortcuts (Ctrl+Alt+8/0/9) for selecting and copying terminology, but thanks to your great instructions (http://wordfast.net/wiki/One_Shortcut_for_Placeables_and_Terms ), it's possible to have Wordfast Pro behave like Classic (and like it should have behaved right from the start), ie. have a single set of shortcuts for both placeables and terminology.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keyboard "shortcuts" and file handling May 3, 2012

Thank you for your fast reply and clarification, Yasmin.

Similarly, I need to know the shortcuts used by Claudia to tell her the problematic shortcuts.

I would hardly call proper usage of my keyboard, using "shortcuts". And why "Yes, AltGr...". Sounds like I should have known? In fact, I searched the WF Pro online help for "special characters" and nothing useful came up. I'd like tools to let me know, when they tamper with my normal keyboard settings for entering just the plain characters on the keys and I'd appreciate it if this was documented in a way you can easily find it.

Projects (in their current format of the current versions of Wordfast Pro) are just "organizing containers"; so you do NOT need to worry much about them.

Since I need the project files to get something translated, I will have a problem in case of data loss. So I would like them to go in my backup directory. They are working files and should go into My Documents and not into the appdata directory.

All what you need is to export your glossary and import it later:

Thank you for explaining this process. I would not call it "All what you need" when you have to do this for several terminology files every day. Also I cannot understand why a tool that should make my life easier has to complicate my backup routine. Terminology files like project files are working data and should also go into My Documents and not into the application directory.

Why not offer a flexible path with a default setting for users who do not want to be bothered?

So far, I really like what I have seen of the new Wordfast Pro. If you could enhance and update your online support (the Wiki contains obsolete stuff and wrong information, and having to use forums on other platforms to contact you is not very customer friendly) and make saving more flexible, it would be perfect. Thank you for a powerful tool. Please keep it up!

Egypt
English to Arabic
Answers May 3, 2012

Dear Claudia,

AltGr => I am not really sure if you should know that or not; I never used such keyboards myself. However, I think that it is impossible to anticipate all the shortcuts used for all languages in the world!

project files => I would like you to differentiate between "projects" and "files". "Projects" CANNOT be translated; they are just containers as I mentioned earlier. If you rather mean TXML files, those what you might like to save or back up.

Glossaries = > I believe there will be better approaches in the future, namely in WFP 4.

Online support => I am not sure what you mean by the "Wiki": the help pages, knowledge-base, or the Wik? If you really mean WF Pro, I will highly appreciate referring me to such "obsolete stuff and wrong information" and we will do our best to update.

customer friendly contact => If you have more questions, you can open a hotline support ticket. To open a new hotline ticket, log-in (wordfast.net > support > login) with your login email and password mentioned on your invoice. Click on 'Contact the Hotline' and submit your ticket. We will get to you immediately. It is a "paid service", though; so I would think that being available at forums (for free) is something that we should be praised not criticized for.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Finnish to French
Support options for Wordfast May 3, 2012

having to use forums on other platforms to contact you is not very customer friendly

There are several options for obtaining support for Wordfast products:

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=181-32

There is a customer friendly option hosted on Wordfast's own platform: it's called the Wordfast hotline

And yes, what you pay is what you get, but if you do comparisons with other tools, you will find Wordfast is competitively priced.

Finnish to French
Terminology and project files are not in the application directory May 3, 2012

Terminology files like project files are working data and should also go into My Documents and not into the application directory.

These files (terminology and project) are *not* in the application directory. As stated earlier, they are in the *users* directory:

C:\Users\[user_name]\.wf_workspace

"My documents" is also in the users directory, btw:

C:\Users\[user_name]\Documents

It's no big deal to include the .wf_workspace folder in your backup routine, any half-decent backup program should be able to do it.

What I would prefer to see is terminology files that are standard .txt files, like in Classic (and like Pro TM files), so it's possible to use them in Classic without having to import/export them back and forth.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Criticizing ... May 3, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
so I would think that being available at forums (for free) is something that we should be praised not criticized for.

Who criticized you for being available at forums?

I am very grateful that I can simply ask at Proz if another of my keys does not work, even though I am expected to use the paid hotline for it.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Big deals May 3, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
It's no big deal to include the .wf_workspace folder in your backup routine, any half-decent backup program should be able to do it.

What can I say? You must know better than me what is a big deal for me, obviously.

.wf_workspace in my understanding is an application folder.
My Documents is the folder content relevant files should be stored in. But since this seems to be different from user to user a flexible path would be the best solution.

Finnish to French
No need for paid subscription for issues related to installation and licensing May 3, 2012

I am very grateful that I can simply ask at Proz if another of my keys does not work, even though I am expected to use the paid hotline for it.

You can always contact the hotline (wordfast.net > about us > contact) for issues related to installation and licensing, you don't need to have a paid hotline subscription for that.
For all other issues, you need to have a valid hotline subscription. Such a subscription is included with every new license for one year.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What you pay is what you get May 3, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

There is a customer friendly option hosted on Wordfast's own platform: it's called the Wordfast hotline

And yes, what you pay is what you get, but if you do comparisons with other tools, you will find Wordfast is competitively priced.

Just as an information for possible other readers: The customer friendly option is a paid service.

What you pay is what you get... So Wordfast Pro is cheaper than others therefore I should expect less? Okay. I did not expect this. So far I had the impression of a powerful tool but this does not sound very promising...

For me this discussion ends here, my questions have been answered. Thank you for the fast support and useful insights to both of you, Dominique and Yasmin. If I have more questions, I'll post them on this forum in a new thread to keep things tidy.

Egypt
English to Arabic
Glossary TXT May 3, 2012

Thanks again, Claudia and Dominique, for your feedback!

Dominique Pivard wrote:

What I would prefer to see is terminology files that are standard .txt files, like in Classic (and like Pro TM files), so it's possible to use them in Classic without having to import/export them back and forth.

Currently, you can see your txt glossaries at .wf_workpsace\glossaries. No need for export/import if you are happy with that path.

Again, Jamie once suggested that one changes the location of .wf_workspace in the INI file located at: (some path like) C:\Program Files\Wordfast - one can change the following (4th) line to what they prefer: @user.home\.wf_workspace

Again, I completely agree that all this should be re-developed into a more user-friendly way, which should be the case in WFP 4.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2012-05-03 13:22 GMT]

Finnish to French
Learning something new May 3, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Currently, you can see your txt glossaries at .wf_workpsace\glossaries. No need for export/import if you are happy with that path.

Thanks, Yasmin! I hadn't realized the plain text glossaries are indeed in .wf_workpsace\glossaries. Problem is, WFP renames them to g_1.txt, g_2.txt etc., which means it can be difficult to tell them apart (based on name) if there are many of them.
Another problem (for me) is that WFP doesn't use the same syntax as WFC & WFA for asterisks and pipes (which I heavily use in WFC with Finnish as source). A mess is in the making once sharing of terminology will become available via Wordfast Server: WFP should really harmonize its syntax with WFC & WFA.

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Again, Jamie once suggested that one changes the location of .wf_workspace in the INI file located at: (some path like) C:\Program Files\Wordfast - one can change the following (4th) line to what they prefer: @user.home\.wf_workspace

I didn't know about that either. Now Claudia can put the content of .wf_workspace wherever she wants.
Do you know if a custom path for .wf_workspace will survive upgrades?

Egypt
English to Arabic
Glossaries path May 3, 2012

Dear Dominique,

I agree that it is not convenient; I am just telling you about the current possibilities. As for the name, you may know that you can click on a glossary on Wordfast Pro Terminology list to know its path (and hidden name) under "Terminology Properties".

As for Wordfast.ini, apparently, it is overwritten by new installations; however, the folder remains where it was moved. So, one just can have a copy of the Wordfast.ini file to replace the default one with it once the new installation takes place.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Square brackets and file management in WF Pro 3?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search