TMs and glossaries
Thread poster: karen henry

karen henry  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:18
French to English
May 4, 2012

I translate with wordfast and would like to know which files I need to keep after a project so as to be sure that I don't lose anything. I was also wondering how people store these files, in one seperate folder or individually according to subject/customer, or does it really matter?
Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Just the txt May 4, 2012

For TMs and glossaries (in Wordfast classic), only the TXT files are important. The indexes can be recreated by reorganising the TM or glossary. OLD and BAK files can be discarded.

For TMs and glossaries that are entirely mine and that are used for multiple projects, I keep them in a separate folder.

When the client sends them to me, updated for each job, I keep them in the project folder that then gets archived to an external hard drive after the project is finished. I do not use these for any other project.

There's no rules but I find this works for me.

Terry.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
One of each May 4, 2012

karen henry wrote:

I translate with wordfast and would like to know which files I need to keep after a project so as to be sure that I don't lose anything. I was also wondering how people store these files, in one seperate folder or individually according to subject/customer, or does it really matter?
Thanks.

You can organise your stuff the way you want to. I keep at least one TM for each direct client and some general ones for specific subject areas, eg: Europe or BIO. I also keep each TM in a separate folder so I can find them easily and switch from one TM to another without accidentally using the wrong one.

xxxchristela
In one folder May 4, 2012

So that you have an overview of your TMs and glossaries. So that they can be copied easily on an external hard drive. And especially because WF Context Search can search in all the sibling TMs, but only in those which are stored in the same folder - this is a huuuuge advantage.
As they are all in txt format, my glossaries begin with "glos", for instance "glos legal.txt", but they can also be put in a separate folder.
(note: clients never send me TMs, I only have my own memories.)

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:18
Finnish to French
Which Wordfast? May 5, 2012

karen henry wrote:

Which Wordfast do you refer to: Classic or Pro (or perhaps Anywhere)? In addition to TM's and glossaries, I would definitely keep a copy of the bilingual files: "uncleaned" documents for Classic (saved under a clearly identified name as DOC/DOCX rather than using the BAK created by Wordfast at clean-up time), translated TXML in the case of Pro/Anywhere.

Where you store them doesn't really matter. In the case of bilingual files, I keep them where they are (in folders organized by year and by client) and I use dtSearch to locate them instantly whenever I need to.

In addition to a local copy, it is a good idea to keep a copy somewhere on the cloud, either with solutions like Dropbox or Google Drive, or with something under your own control, like this:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/04/01/cloudberry-online-backup-with-google-cloud-storage/

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 7, 2012

Sorry forgot to specify that it's Wordfast Classic that I use. Thanks for all your advice.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:18
Finnish to French
Do keep your "uncleaned" documents May 7, 2012

karen henry wrote:
Sorry forgot to specify that it's Wordfast Classic that I use.

In that case, the most important document to keep is the "uncleaned" version: from it, you can create both the final, translated version (by cleaning it up) and the original, source version (by using Alt+Delete to unsegment it).
As I said, uncleaned documents allow you to perform "true" concordance searches with all the original context, using third-party search software like dtSearch, Archivarius 3000, Copernic etc.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Classic May 7, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Which Wordfast do you refer to: Classic or Pro (or perhaps Anywhere)?

Sorry, I mean Wordfast Classic

Dominique Pivard wrote:
In addition to TM's and glossaries, I would definitely keep a copy of the bilingual files: "uncleaned" documents for Classic (saved under a clearly identified name as DOC/DOCX rather than using the BAK created by Wordfast at clean-up time), translated TXML in the case of Pro/Anywhere.

Why do you recommend this, sorry if this sounds like a silly question!

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
OLD and BAK files May 7, 2012

Terry Richards wrote:

OLD and BAK files can be discarded.

Thanks, those are the ones I was wondering about, it sounds logical to discard them but I needed confirmation before I did it!

xxxchristela
Because May 8, 2012

karen henry wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:
In addition to TM's and glossaries, I would definitely keep a copy of the bilingual files: "uncleaned" documents for Classic (saved under a clearly identified name as DOC/DOCX rather than using the BAK created by Wordfast at clean-up time), translated TXML in the case of Pro/Anywhere.

Why do you recommend this, sorry if this sounds like a silly question!

As he says: "uncleaned documents allow you to perform "true" concordance searches with all the original context, using third-party search software like dtSearch, Archivarius 3000, Copernic etc".

The combination WF + Copernic is terrific, because you can access to the documents "by the interior", using Context Search, for instance, and "by the exterior", as all MTs and glossaries you have on your hard disk are in text mode. And if you keep the BAK documents, you have all the context of the file in a bilingual setting.

There are some more reasons:
- searching something is much more easy in the bilingual file because you can search the original terms but also the translated terms
- if some weeks or months later you have to update the file (because of clients comments, for instance), you still have the bilingual file, no need to align
- if for some reason you have to construct other TMs, you can stll do that with the original bilingual files.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
copernic May 8, 2012

christela wrote:

The combination WF + Copernic is terrific, because you can access to the documents "by the interior", using Context Search, for instance, and "by the exterior", as all MTs and glossaries you have on your hard disk are in text mode. And if you keep the BAK documents, you have all the context of the file in a bilingual setting.

Sounds brilliant! Is the free version sufficient to begin with?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMs and glossaries

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search