Paola Bisio
Italy
Local time: 12:43
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 4, 2012

Hello everyone,

I-d like to know how with wf multiple translators can share the same memory and update it through the server, I would also like to know if, when multiple texts for the same clients are translated but if no memory has ever been saved for them, is there any way to create a memory based on the source texts and the target texts already existing, how should I do that?

thank you very much

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:43
English to Arabic
TM Sharing May 4, 2012

Please have a look here:
http://wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Pro#TM_Sharing

HTH,
Yasmin

Egypt
English to Arabic
Alignment May 4, 2012

Wordfast has three alignment tools. Please have a look here:
http://wordfast.net/wiki/Alignment

HTH,
Yasmin

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Wordfast Server vs. Wordfast Anywhere May 5, 2012

Paoamsterdam wrote:
I-d like to know how with wf multiple translators can share the same memory and update it through the server

You basically have two server-based ways to share a TM between several translators: 1) an expensive one with Wordfast Server, 2) a free one with Wordfast Anywhere.

Here is some more information about the free way, using Anywhere as the client programme:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2011/11/29/how-to-share-a-tm-and-a-glossary-with-wordfast-anywhere/

and a similar setup, using Classic as the client programme:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2011/12/15/how-to-use-a-wordfast-anywhere-tm-in-wordfast-classic-6/

Note that in Classic v. 6.02 and newer (which are still beta versions for the time being), TM sharing works differently from the current version (6.01g), as presented in Yasmin's link:

http://wordfast.net/wiki/Using_a_WFA_TM_in_WFP_or_WFC

You no longer have to enter a complicated URL (eg. FR>EN@67.221.227.93:47110), all you need is an Anywhere account registered with the same e-mail address used as login for your license at wordfast.net. This also means you need to have a license icon_wink.gif

If your translators are on the same LAN and they are using Classic, they can all share the same TM without a server, since Classic features built-in TM sharing (unlike Pro, which requires a server).

Paola Bisio
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WF Online Aligner May 5, 2012

Yasemin,

thank you very much for your help.
Considered that, up to now, I still do not know the wf version the client is working with, I'd like to know if the wf online aligner is a tool I can make use of with any wf version or it only applies to a particular one.
In the potentiality my client can use the aligner with his version of wf, I'd like to know if this tool is free, if the client needs to purchase it, if this tool is already contained in certain wf packages etc...whatever indication you find useful to get us into it would be appreciate it.
Thank you again.

Paola Bisio
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
wf anywhere tm sharing May 5, 2012

Hi again,

regarding the wf anywhere tm sharing, i need to know if this product comes with any version of wordfast, if it is a freeware app, or whatever we need to do to use it. thank you.

Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Anywhere May 5, 2012

If you are going to use Wordfast Anywhere only, you do not need anything else. Otherwise, it is your option to use both Wordfast Anywhere (for free) with other paid application, namely Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro. So, the option is completely yours.

You can create a free account of Wordfast Anywhere at: www.FreeTM.com

You can learn more about the terms of using Wordfast Anywhere at: http://www.freetm.com/doc/terms.html

You can watch useful videos at: http://www.freetm.com/doc/videos.html

If you have more questions about Wordfast Anywhere, you can join its group:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast_Anywhere/

HTH,
Yasmin

Finnish to French
The aligner doesn't matter May 5, 2012

Paoamsterdam wrote:
Considered that, up to now, I still do not know the wf version the client is working with, I'd like to know if the wf online aligner is a tool I can make use of with any wf version or it only applies to a particular one.
In the potentiality my client can use the aligner with his version of wf, I'd like to know if this tool is free, if the client needs to purchase it, if this tool is already contained in certain wf packages etc...whatever indication you find useful to get us into it would be appreciate it.

It doesn't matter which aligner you use, since all versions of Wordfast (Classic, Pro, Anywhere) use the same format for their TM.

All three aligners mentioned by Yasmin are free. Please note the aligner included with Wordfast Pro is only available on the Windows platform, not on Mac and Linux. It's very cumbersome anyway, so I don't recommend using it. Also note PlusTools only work on Windows, not on Mac. Wordfast Online Aligner, OTOH, works on all platforms, since it's browser-based.

Finnish to French
Wordfast Anywhere May 5, 2012

Paoamsterdam wrote:
regarding the wf anywhere tm sharing, i need to know if this product comes with any version of wordfast, if it is a freeware app, or whatever we need to do to use it. thank you.

Wordfast Anywhere has two components: 1) a client (that has an interface similar to Classic), 2) a server hosted on Wordfast's own computers. The server is in fact the same Wordfast Server you can buy and install on your own computer. The client runs within your browser (recommended browsers for optimal performance: Firefox or Chrome, but will work with other browsers as well), so as Yasmin said, there's nothing to install.

Egypt
English to Arabic
WF Pro Aligner is not free May 5, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

All three aligners mentioned by Yasmin are free. Please note the aligner included with Wordfast Pro is only available on the Windows platform, not on Mac and Linux. It's very cumbersome anyway, so I don't recommend using it.

Dear Dominique,

Just one note: Wordfast [Pro] Aligner is NOT free. If you run it without a valid WF Pro license, you will get a message that reads: "Wordfast product is not registered. Please activate the product."

If the asker rather asks about an aligner for Mac or Linux, an online aligner can be used as you suggested; this is one option. Again, another option is to use Bitext2TMX which is a very good Java-based aligner that can run on Mac and Linux. As for aligners, I remember there was a very elaborated thread on this forum including deserve suggestions.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:43
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Paoamsterdam May 5, 2012

If you're looking for a free aligner, I can highly recommend LF Aligner by András Farkas. He is actually in the process of releasing a beta version with a GUI, which he is testing at the moment.
See:

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/184708-new_free_open_source_aligner_for_windows_os_x_and_linux-page4.html

'I'm mainly looking for WinXP, Vista and Win7 users. If you'd like to try out the GUI on Linux or OSX, you'll need to install a perl module or two on your own, so more expertise is needed on these platforms.

Send an email to lfaligner (gmail) to get in on the action.'

Finnish to French
I stand corrected! May 6, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Just one note: Wordfast [Pro] Aligner is NOT free. If you run it without a valid WF Pro license, you will get a message that reads: "Wordfast product is not registered. Please activate the product."

Thanks, Yasmin, for pointing this out! I think the WFP aligner should be available in demo mode (especially since much better functions such as the PDF converter are), so that people could see how cumbersome it is before buying a license.

Egypt
English to Arabic
:) May 6, 2012

Dear Dominique,

Dominique Pivard wrote:
I think the WFP aligner should be available in demo mode ...., so that people could see how cumbersome it is before buying a license.

icon_smile.gif Smiling from heart (which is good with all the surrounding tragedies here). Thanks!

Well, WF Aligner is announced as BETA anyhow, and this is usually stated clearly for anyone who asks. Still, some people find it useful for straightforward jobs.

Again, people do not purchase Wordfast Pro for the aligner, and the aligner is not sold alone. As you said, almost all the features that should be good for a translator are available in the demo mode of Wordfast Pro.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2012-05-06 09:08 GMT]

Paola Bisio
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
aligners May 6, 2012

Sorry I find these lasts comments confusing: there is an online aligner which is free for wf classic and an aligner that needs to be purchased with wf pro, is that correct?

Basically when using wf classinc I can choose to use either the plus tools (free) which is browser-based or the online aligner for wf classic, which is also free and vrowser-based, pls. confirm these last things, thanks.

Paola Bisio
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM sharing May 6, 2012

Regarding the tm sharing, I have seen translators need to be granted access within the agency server, I need to know if the location address I need to assign to the translators'group is just the agency IP address or what address is that? thanks

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

server-based memories'sharing

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search