Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Wordfast not working
Thread poster: Armorel Young

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
German to English
May 10, 2012

Last night Wordfast was working fine. This morning I try to use it and get the message "This TM of over 500 TUs was perhaps processed with an unlicensed version of Wordfast [nonsense: I have Wordfast Classic installed with a valid install number and licence no., and I've never used an unlicensed version]. Reorganize it once.... If reorganization does not help and you already bought a license, log in at www.wordfast.net/support, regenerate a license number. It's free and immeditate". Well, I go to www.wordfast.net/support and get "page not found". So what am I supposed to do? How can they tell me to go to a support page that doesn't exist? I have urgent work to do, for which the TM contains loads of relevant information - how can my paid-for and licensed version of Wordfast simply not work?

Direct link Reply with quote

Merja Jauhiainen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:52
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
The same happened to me May 10, 2012

Hi Armorel,

I had the same experience this morning, out of the blue. Luckily the problem disappeared by itself - I just waited a few minutes before trying again and then it worked normally.

Hope your situation will have a happy ending soon too!

Merja

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
The problems should now be solved May 10, 2012

Armorel Young wrote:
Well, I go to www.wordfast.net/support and get "page not found".

There were some DNS problems on the server, which should now be solved. Can you try again? If they persist, try to use another browser and/or another computer (to log in to your account). You may also want to try the following URL: http://67.221.227.91/

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's true, it is now solved... May 10, 2012

... although not before I've been through the unnecessary relicensing procedure. I still find it totally unacceptable that I can have a fully paid-for and licensed piece of software that is essential to my work that just decides to stop working.

Finnish to French
the issue has been addressed in version 6.03 May 10, 2012

Armorel Young wrote:
... although not before I've been through the unnecessary relicensing procedure. I still find it totally unacceptable that I can have a fully paid-for and licensed piece of software that is essential to my work that just decides to stop working.

This relicensing issue has been addressed in version 6.03, which is already available at wordfast.net > products > download > download a beta version and should replace the current public release (6.01g) very soon.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too May 10, 2012

Armorel Young wrote:

Last night Wordfast was working fine. This morning I try to use it and get the message "This TM of over 500 TUs was perhaps processed with an unlicensed version of Wordfast...

...how can my paid-for and licensed version of Wordfast simply not work?

I had the same problem, but after an hour or so faffing about we managed to get it sorted out. At least Dominique and the rest of the team get back to you quickly (within ten minutes this morning in my case) unlike some other providers...

Apparently the issue has been dealt with in the latest version, 6.03, but I'll wait until next week before trying it out.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Is this related to... May 11, 2012

...the issue about needing to have an internet connection (and working Wordfast server) so that Wordfast can check if the license is valid? How has this been changed in 6.03?

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Suggests a requirement for a TM CAT. May 11, 2012

Lori Cirefice wrote:
(Is this related to)...the issue about needing to have an internet connection (and working Wordfast server) so that Wordfast can check if the license is valid? How has this been changed in 6.03?

To judge from the postings so far, it must be the same issue and it leads me to the following conclusion, which is a small part of a hypothetical requirement specification for a Translation Memory CAT tool:
The CAT tool must be fully functional on the computer on which it is installed and licensed, without needing to communicate with the Internet (or with any service not under the control of the computer user). It is acceptable for a connection to the Internet to be required for the processes of licensing and installing, which are prior to, and separate from, the translation process. The term "fully functional" refers to the CAT tool's intrinsic operation as a translation aid, not to any use that may be made of Internet-based searching or machine translation.

Does the new version 6.03 meet this requirement and has the WordFast team now formalised this requirement so that Wordfast will never again in the future require a working Internet connection at the time of its use?

(This problem looks to me like an argument for using a version 5, not 6, of WordFast (Classic), or at least for having a version 5 wordfast.dot available to substitute for the "latest" "super-improved" version when it creates an unexpected problem. It seems to be almost a law of nature that every "improved" version of an item of computer software has at least one problem that was not present in the previous version.)

Oliver

[Edited at 2012-05-11 22:23 GMT]

Finnish to French
Licensing in 6.03 May 12, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:
Does the new version 6.03 meet this requirement and has the WordFast team now formalised this requirement so that Wordfast will never again in the future require a working Internet connection at the time of its use?

With 6.03, you need a connection to the Wordfast server the first time you install Wordfast on a new computer. Thereafter, attempts to check the status of the license will be made every now and then (like now with 6.01), but Wordfast won't revert to demo mode if these attempts are unsuccessful (unlike now with 6.01). However, if a successful attempt is made after the three-years validity period of your license has expired, Wordfast will revert to demo mode. So 6.03 is the "Unabomber" version (for those people who want to continue using it in full mode after their license has expired): they must cut off all links with the civilized world *before* their license expires.

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Change of licensing policy May 16, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
However, if a successful attempt is made after the three-years validity period of your license has expired, Wordfast will revert to demo mode. So 6.03 is the "Unabomber" version (for those people who want to continue using it in full mode after their license has expired): they must cut off all links with the civilized world *before* their license expires.

This looks like a change of policy, to the disadvantage of the user: is it made clear to everybody who pays for a licence for WFClassic version 6?

Under the previous system (WordFast Classic up to version 5?) a licensed copy of WordFast will continue to work indefinitely in Full mode on the same computer (i.e. same installation number). This is stated explicitly here:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=faqbuying
with these words: "After three years, you can continue using Wordfast as long as your Install number does not change."
A new licence is required to start using WordFast in full mode on a different computer after expiry of the existing 3-year licence.

This means a user must have an easily accessible record of the licence date so that he knows when the 3 years end (that should not be a problem). Also, to continue working without interruption, the licence should be renewed (FYI, it's half the price of a new licence) before the existing one expires, which raises this question: when a licence is renewed, is the new expiry date 3 years from the renewal date or 3 years from the forthcoming expiry date?
The answer is, for example, not clear here:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=agreement

Oliver

Finnish to French
Good points May 16, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:
This looks like a change of policy, to the disadvantage of the user: is it made clear to everybody who pays for a licence for WFClassic version 6?

You are right, it's a change of policy, on some points. Some are to the disadvantage of the user (inability to keep using Wordfast forever on an existing computer, when licensed before the license expires), but other to his advantage (no need to bother with license numbers as in version 5 and earlier, no risk to fall into demo mode if there's no internet connection, or if Wordfast's own server is down, as in version 6.01g).

Oliver Walter wrote:
Under the previous system (WordFast Classic up to version 5?) a licensed copy of WordFast will continue to work indefinitely in Full mode on the same computer (i.e. same installation number). This is stated explicitly here:
with these words: "After three years, you can continue using Wordfast as long as your Install number does not change."
A new licence is required to start using WordFast in full mode on a different computer after expiry of the existing 3-year licence.

Yes, the FAQ will need to be modified, thanks for pointing this out. With the new scheme, Classic will work like Pro, which reverts to demo mode as soon as the license expires.

Oliver Walter wrote:
This means a user must have an easily accessible record of the licence date so that he knows when the 3 years end (that should not be a problem).

I think the idea is that a reminder will be sent to the user a few weeks before the expiry date. One problem, of course, if that users must make sure the e-mail entered in the system is valid.

Oliver Walter wrote:
Also, to continue working without interruption, the licence should be renewed (FYI, it's half the price of a new licence) before the existing one expires, which raises this question: when a licence is renewed, is the new expiry date 3 years from the renewal date or 3 years from the forthcoming expiry date?
The answer is, for example, not clear here:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=agreement

At the moment, the new period starts from the renewal date, even if it's before the expiry date. This is why we recommend waiting until the license is about to expire before renwing them. But Wordfast has been known to manually edit the new expiry date when licenses have been renewed too early. As I understand, there's no deliberate intention to "cheat" users on the validity period, it's a limitation of the current system.

Finnish to French
FAQ has been edited May 16, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:

The FAQ now says:

If I buy, how long will I be able to use Wordfast?
Wordfast licenses last three years. After that period, the license must be renewed.

Kinga Rydzewska  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
same problem May 17, 2012

Hi,

have the same problem, get the message about unlicensed TM being used which is not true and then the wordfast.net/support page is not opening so I can't do much really. Any ideas how to solve it?

Thanks,
Kinga

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
To get to the support page ... May 17, 2012

it seems that you have to go to the Wordfast homepage, log in and get to support that way (rather than via that link that appears on your screen that doesn't work). At any rate, that work for me.

Kinga Rydzewska  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
wordfast website is still not opening May 17, 2012

Thanks, but unfortunately I can't open this website :/ will try again and again...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast not working

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search