WF claiming non-existent provisional segment found can't clean up
Thread poster: Nicholas Orsillo

Nicholas Orsillo
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
May 16, 2012

Hello,

After several years of using Wordfast v. 5.56t without any major problems, I have finally run into a problem I cannot seem to solve.

Upon completing the translation of one document in .docx format, I attempted to use the clean up function. However, the clean up did not work; I just received a messages saying clean up was not completed due to a provisional segment being open. The problem was however that all segments were, to the best of my knowledge, completed and closed.

If I press "alt+end" on this document, and then try to resume translating by pressing "alt+down arrow" on any random segment, a pop-up window appears saying a segment was left unopen. If I try to recuperate automatically, the program automatically opens the "random" segment I clicked on and says that that segment is the provisional one. At the same time, the last character of the target text box has changed and is in the same format as the delimiters, i.e. small and purple. At the same time, it does not seem that the delimiters change in anyway. Upon repairing and closing the segment, I still get the same message that there are still provisional segments.

I tried re-downloading the document and translating it anew using the translation memory. I still ran into the same problems. I even tried doing it resaved as a .doc file, as I assumed the source text must have some kind of formatting problem. I even tried translating only individual random segments in the text and trying to clean them up. I still ran into the same problem.
This did not help.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
Thanks for any help.

Nick

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you try to save as doc? May 16, 2012

Perhaps Word 2010 and Wf 5.xx are not fully compatible. I use 5.53 and have not had any problems. You could try to save in Word 2003 -format. Did you try Quick Cleanup?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Look for a bookmark named WfBmk0001 May 16, 2012

Nicholas Orsillo wrote:
Upon completing the translation of one document in .docx format, I attempted to use the clean up function. However, the clean up did not work; I just received a messages saying clean up was not completed due to a provisional segment being open. The problem was however that all segments were, to the best of my knowledge, completed and closed.

Look for a bookmark named WfBmk0001 and delete it. This should solve your problem.

Finnish to French
5.56 should run OK in Word 2010 May 16, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Perhaps Word 2010 and Wf 5.xx are not fully compatible. I use 5.53 and have not had any problems. You could try to save in Word 2003 -format. Did you try Quick Cleanup?

5.56t is a rather old version already (and I would advise upgrading to the current version, ie. 6.01g, which should be very soon replaced by 6.03q), but it should run OK with Word 2010.

Clean-up is prevented by a hidden bookmark called WfBmk00001. Deleting that bookmark should solve the problem.

Nicholas Orsillo
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still not working May 16, 2012

Dear Heinrich and Dominique,

Thanks for your advice. I had already tried saving it as a Word 2003 file, which did not help. Quick clean up didn't work either.

I could not find a bookmark labelled WfBmk00001. I tried deleting all other bookmarks, but to no avail.
I also downloaded and installed WF 6.01. That did not resolve my problem either.
Any other ideas?
Thanks for your help.

Nick

Finnish to French
Manual clean-up in Word (via Find/Replace) May 16, 2012

Nicholas Orsillo wrote:
Thanks for your advice. I had already tried saving it as a Word 2003 file, which did not help. Quick clean up didn't work either.

If cleaning up is your main problem, you can do it without Wordfast, using Word's Find/Replace commands: just look for hidden text and replace with nothing.

Nicholas Orsillo wrote:
I could not find a bookmark labelled WfBmk00001. I tried deleting all other bookmarks, but to no avail.
I also downloaded and installed WF 6.01. That did not resolve my problem either.
Any other ideas?

If you can send me your recalcitrant document in private, I could try to see what's wrong with it.

Nicholas Orsillo
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I came up with my own solution May 17, 2012

[/quote]
If you can send me your recalcitrant document in private, I could try to see what's wrong with it. [/quote]

So, in the name of confidentiality, I thought I would just copy a segment or two of soure and target text and paste them in a new document and send them off to you. However, I discovered that once I had pasted the segments into a document I was able to work with them as normal. I was kind of surprised, by this.

Actually I discovered that as long as I copied and pasted only segmented text it work fine. However, when I tried to copy unsegmented, source text that did not need to be translated I ran into the same problems with the false provisional segments again. Strange, but at least I managed to solve the problem. Thank you for your advice.

I guess out of all of this at least it made me install the most current version of WF classic. I think I had avoided that because I did not relincense it and thought that upgrading was therefore impossible.

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF claiming non-existent provisional segment found can't clean up

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search