Problem with updating numbers in WF Classic
Thread poster: Chris S

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 17, 2012

Why doesn't WF update the number in the following case?

Previous foreign text: 1,5 per cent
Previous translation: 1.5 per cent
New foreign text: 1,6 per cent
WF suggestion: 1.5 per cent

Why doesn't WF update the number automatically to 1.6 per cent?

NB As suggested on here previously I have a find-replace setting ([0-9]),([0-9]) >> \1.\2 and I've checked the relevant QA boxes (QA during translation and Run the find-replace list on translations). Have I missed something?

Direct link Reply with quote

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bump... May 30, 2012

Any ideas anyone?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:56
Finnish to French
Precautionary principle May 30, 2012

Chris S wrote:
Why doesn't WF update the number in the following case?

Previous foreign text: 1,5 per cent
Previous translation: 1.5 per cent
New foreign text: 1,6 per cent
WF suggestion: 1.5 per cent

Why doesn't WF update the number automatically to 1.6 per cent?

Previous versions performed an automatic substitution in such cases (mismatch of decimal separator), the current version applies the precautionary principle and doesn't perform any substitution. You can copy the number as placeable or via AC and let your Find/Replace entry put the correct decimal separator.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dominique May 30, 2012

This is disappointing, especially as Trados does it. Is there really no way around this?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:56
Finnish to French
Trados vs. Wordfast May 30, 2012

Chris S wrote:
This is disappointing, especially as Trados does it.

Yes, Trados does it, and it does other things Wordfast doesn't, like converting Celsius into Fahrenheit etc. But then, Wordfast does plenty of things Trados doesn't. Since you appear to be familiar with both, yet chose Wordfast (at least for this job), you must have found enough good reasons for your choice.

Chris S wrote:
Is there really no way around this?

I'm under the impression this was a deliberate decision by Wordfast's architect: better be on the safe side.

Yves Champollion  Identity Verified
English to French
conversion=Find-Replace Jun 1, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Chris S wrote:
This is disappointing, especially as Trados does it.

Yes, Trados does it, and it does other things Wordfast doesn't, like converting Celsius into Fahrenheit etc. But then, Wordfast does plenty of things Trados doesn't. Since you appear to be familiar with both, yet chose Wordfast (at least for this job), you must have found enough good reasons for your choice.

Chris S wrote:
Is there really no way around this?

I'm under the impression this was a deliberate decision by Wordfast's architect: better be on the safe side.

Wordfast has a way to perform those changes, but it's a little geeky. It's not that much geekier than in other tools anyway. It's called the "Find-Replace" list, located in the Terminology section. A default list has telling examples very close to what you need.

In the "QA" section, enable the Find-Replace list to be executed on segments.

Now beware, all conversions are dangerous. In your case, IP numbers that end with 100.50 are blocked would trigger an unwanted conversion. Be cautious.

In my own experience, the extra attention required when using anything automatic in translation + plus the occasional whoopsing and typo fixing, can be counter-productive in comparison to just going "organic", i.e., no dope no artefacts. Yours to decide!

Cheers,
Yves Champollion

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
RFE for PB, then Jun 2, 2012

Yves Champollion wrote:
Dominique Pivard wrote:

Wordfast has a way to perform those changes, but it's a little geeky.

Well, Dominique, then why does WF try to update other numbers? Would not doing so not also be "the safe side"? This has nothing to do with conversions -- it has to do with numbers.

Yves, perhaps a wishlist item would be for a PB option "RuthlesslyUpdateAllNumbers", so that even H2B4 would be updated to X2Y4, and let those users who use fix the false positives themselves. For it may be that in most texts that you translate, it is less of chore to manually update 1.5 to 1,6, but in most texts that I translate (if such numbers do occur), the number of times when it should not be updated are on the low end of the scale.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've tried and failed... Jun 11, 2012

Thanks Yves but I'd appreciate the exact code required as I'm still not getting fractions updated and now I'm even getting 1,000 changing into 1.000...

I'd rather WF inserted the correct number with incorrect puncutation than the wrong number, as there may be hundreds of such numbers in a text, and manually changing them is a nightmare.

Otherwise perhaps it's easiest to do a search and replace on the punctuation in Word ([0-9]),([0-9]) > /1./2 before I even start translating with WF?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with updating numbers in WF Classic

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search