Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:46
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
May 25, 2012

Dear all,
Let this serve as a warning.
I have been a loyal WF user for over ten years. This morning the program worked, this afternoon it stopped, saying that my version was "unlicensed". Hhhhmm, odd. I didn't try to download a new version. I didn't turn the computer off. I didn't get a virus. I simply stopped to have lunch.
Fine, I go to the support site to regenerate a license as they suggest, and it says that my license expired in January 2012. But I don't want a new version. I simply want to continue with my old one.
After several emails, I get a message saying the following:

"The behaviour you observed did come for a reason: the reason being that
your license expired several months ago.
If you want to use your existing big TM without paying for the renewal,
you can upload it to your Wordfast Anywhere account (if you haven't got
one, you can create one at www.freetm.com) and use Anywhere instead of
Classic (their user interface is very similar).
Any new TM you create in demo mode (ie. with an unlicensed copy of
Wordfast Classic) will indeed be limited to about 500 TU's.
Yes, we had a lax policy that allowed people to continue using Wordfast
after their license had expired. The policy new matches the license
terms, which are clearly displayed in the license agreement. And the
license agreement has to be accepted by anyone purchasing or renewing a
license."

I used the previous version for about 5 years until the computer died ...
So, WF comes up with a new policy and doesn't see fit to send out an e-mail to its users? My license runs out in January but you decide to pull the plug on me on a Friday night (4 months later) with no advance warning? That's definitely my idea of great customer service ...
Oh, and here's the icing on the cake. I tell myself that I'll suck it up and pay the 90 euros for relicensing listed on the page. Another surprise. This hi-tech company hasn't bothered to update its page and now the price is 175 euros.
The other suggestion I was given by the support people is to upload my TM to WordFast Anywhere and use it there. So I'm parking my TM, with all my research and years of honing, on their site? Where they, and anyone else, can use it? Don't think so.
The workarounds suggested by the support team don't work.
So there's my tale. I'm off to earn 175 euros the old way so I can keep working and respect my deadlines. And I'll probably look into other CATs while I'm at it.
Catherine

[Edited at 2012-05-25 18:27 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
What version? May 25, 2012

Hi Catherine,

That is strange, I thought this would only happen if you have the latest version which was released to the public a few days ago. There has been a lot of discussion about this in the Yahoo user groups (especially the French one).

In the latest version, Wordfast can now verify whether or not you are in compliance with the license agreement.

What version do you have?

Best regards,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.apextra.net

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:46
English to French
+ ...
No "new" policy May 25, 2012

There is no "new" policy.

Wf licence has always (or, at least, for way over 10 years) been valid for 3 years.

Until recently, indeed, one could keep using one's version past the licensing period. That is no longer true.

Don't badmouth Wordfast just because you pretend to not remember the terms of the licence.

Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version May 25, 2012

It was 6.01, but now it has been suggested that I downgrade to a previous version.
My gripe is that the policy has been changed, so how could someone like me have known that, bang, it will stop working? I have wasted an afternoon (and many tears) on this. I ran the risk of missing a deadline ... Sorry, but that's not my idea of customer service. I (and everyone else) should have been told and will file a complaint. I have been a loyal WF customer for 10 years so there was no way for me to know it would simply cut out on me, and on a Friday night when I can't even let customers know that I've had a problem.
I did expect WF to show me the same loyalty I've shown them.
Catherine

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
No free lunch May 25, 2012

Yours cries fall on a deaf ear: you could have coughed out the money (you will need, anyway, since there is no free TEnT, except, of course, WfA) and be back in business in a couple of hours.

That would have saved a lot of time.

Yves Champollion  Identity Verified
English to French
EULA hasn't changed May 25, 2012

Hello Catherine,

the license Agreement you confirmed that you entered into (EULA, http://www.wordfast.net/?go=agreement) states that licenses (right to use the software) are valid for three years from date of purchase.

You stated that your license was expired. What then do you expect.

Amazingly, you're complaining about a support message... that provides a workaround, tells you how to keep using WF without paying. What more could they say. You don't want that - I'm afraid there isn't much left to do. It's nothing about version, it's about licensing period. The EULA is upfront, legible, clear.

If WF policies and support have been known for anything, that's leniency. We've helped out thousands of translators by extending licenses so they can complete a job before opting to renew - we're translators ourselves. There's a limit to what we can do. If you stonewall any offer (free or paying) to solve the issue, I don't see what more we could do.

Respectfully yours,
Yves Champollion

Catherine Bolton wrote:

Dear all,
Let this serve as a warning.
I have been a loyal WF user for over ten years. This morning the program worked, this afternoon it stopped, saying that my version was "unlicensed". Hhhhmm, odd. I didn't try to download a new version. I didn't turn the computer off. I didn't get a virus. I simply stopped to have lunch.
Fine, I go to the support site to regenerate a license as they suggest, and it says that my license expired in January 2012. But I don't want a new version. I simply want to continue with my old one.
After several emails, I get a message saying the following:

"The behaviour you observed did come for a reason: the reason being that
your license expired several months ago.
If you want to use your existing big TM without paying for the renewal,
you can upload it to your Wordfast Anywhere account (if you haven't got
one, you can create one at www.freetm.com) and use Anywhere instead of
Classic (their user interface is very similar).
Any new TM you create in demo mode (ie. with an unlicensed copy of
Wordfast Classic) will indeed be limited to about 500 TU's.
Yes, we had a lax policy that allowed people to continue using Wordfast
after their license had expired. The policy new matches the license
terms, which are clearly displayed in the license agreement. And the
license agreement has to be accepted by anyone purchasing or renewing a
license."

I used the previous version for about 5 years until the computer died ...
So, WF comes up with a new policy and doesn't see fit to send out an e-mail to its users? My license runs out in January but you decide to pull the plug on me on a Friday night (4 months later) with no advance warning? That's definitely my idea of great customer service ...
Oh, and here's the icing on the cake. I tell myself that I'll suck it up and pay the 90 euros for relicensing listed on the page. Another surprise. This hi-tech company hasn't bothered to update its page and now the price is 175 euros.
The other suggestion I was given by the support people is to upload my TM to WordFast Anywhere and use it there. So I'm parking my TM, with all my research and years of honing, on their site? Where they, and anyone else, can use it? Don't think so.
The workarounds suggested by the support team don't work.
So there's my tale. I'm off to earn 175 euros the old way so I can keep working and respect my deadlines. And I'll probably look into other CATs while I'm at it.
Catherine

[Edited at 2012-05-25 18:27 GMT]

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 05:46
English to Arabic
Temporary Extension May 25, 2012

Catherine Bolton wrote:

I ran the risk of missing a deadline

Dear Catherine,

Maybe you should have told my colleagues about this fact so that they could understand your real problem. It seems that your are not new to the idea of renewal, but you just have a deadline.

To finish you current job, please drop me a line and we will extend your license validity for a week or so.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2012-05-25 19:26 GMT]

Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, but you don't understand my gripe May 25, 2012

Yves Champollion wrote:

Hello Catherine,

the license Agreement you confirmed that you entered into (EULA, http://www.wordfast.net/?go=agreement) states that licenses (right to use the software) are valid for three years from date of purchase.

You stated that your license was expired. What then do you expect.

Amazingly, you're complaining about a support message... that provides a workaround, tells you how to keep using WF without paying. What more could they say. You don't want that - I'm afraid there isn't much left to do. It's nothing about version, it's about licensing period. The EULA is upfront, legible, clear.

If WF policies and support have been known for anything, that's leniency. We've helped out thousands of translators by extending licenses so they can complete a job before opting to renew - we're translators ourselves. There's a limit to what we can do. If you stonewall any offer (free or paying) to solve the issue, I don't see what more we could do.

Respectfully yours,
Yves Champollion

Yves,
I was probably one of your first WF users and have always praised your program to all. When the license ran out, the program continued to work. For the past four months, actually. The understanding among a number of us, as I'm not the only one (I've spoken to other colleagues today), is that when the license runs out you cannot UPDATE. Not that the program WOULD STOP WORKING. Microsoft programs don't STOP WORKING just because you don't have the latest version. You may want to have someone update this. Like you could have someone update the prices. It's not exactly enticing to see a page that says 90 euros but when you click it turns out to be 175, so close to double. Tacky ...
So, yes, I take issue with your lack of information and lack of updates or even a newsletter saying, hey folks ... you don't update and you're screwed. My agenda here is warning my colleagues so they don't get stuck on a Friday night with a Monday deadline.
You have my email address, just as you have millions of others. So why didn't you just tell us? I have spoken to colleagues who have been working on allegedly expired licenses. No one knew. Catch my drift?
As to support, Dominique personally deserves immense praise for his patience and willingness to help. But your own message says a lot about what your company is now about. I guess that's the way of the world.
Catherine

[Edited at 2012-05-25 19:56 GMT]

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
I don't understand either May 25, 2012

All time-limited software licences DO STOP WORKING when the licence has reached its end. Not unlike, say, a car registration. Or automobile insurance. If one doesn't pay up, although one can keep driving for a while, one will eventually have to pay.

Your cries are akin to:
"Officer, I have never heard about having to renew my registration/insurance when the time is up".

Sorry, it doesn't pass muster.

xxxchristela
Catherine May 25, 2012

Everybody knew that the Wordfast license was valid for three years. It has been said here, there and everywhere. In the past, you could go on working with an old license. Wordfast gave you a big present. But you cannot claim a present!

And... they offered you another present: WF Anywhere is free and can use a big TM.
Don't worry about confidentiality, they know how to securize.

Moreover, you did not buy a piece of software, such as for the Microsoft programs, you bought a license for three years. And you knew that.

How much time did you win, over the years, with your favourite CAT?

Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
price update May 25, 2012

Perhaps someone would also like to explain why the update says it costs 90 to update but you click through and it's now 175. The support people said it's "outdated". Sorry, but today that doesn't cut the mustard. You're a high-tech software site and don't update?
Yves, I suggest you address that ASAP. At least we won't feel we've been had ...
Catherine

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
A Wordfast employee? May 25, 2012

JL01 wrote:

Yours cries fall on a deaf ear: you could have coughed out the money (you will need, anyway, since there is no free TEnT, except, of course, WfA) and be back in business in a couple of hours.

That would have saved a lot of time.

This comment shows a lack of empathy or even common courtesy to a fellow translator who has, through no apparent fault of her own, suffered a completely unexpected disaster in the middle of a job. It also demonstrates a lack of belief in the concept of customer care.

I was also quite shocked to see Yves Champollion's reply to Catherine. The failure to give adequate warning and accurate information about cost, which is the crux of Catherine's complaint is just ignored and it is all the customer's fault. This is contrary to what I had thought was the Wordfast company's way of doing business. When renewal of my licence comes due, I shall be seriously examining alternative CAT tools and the customer service policies of the companies selling them, something I have not done in the past as I was satisfied with Wordfast and liked the way they used to operate. At least a certain major competitor is upfront about being money-grubbing.

[Edited at 2012-05-25 20:43 GMT]

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 05:46
English to Arabic
No!!! May 25, 2012

Dear B D Finch,

No, JL01 is NOT a Wordfast employee.

Please read my reply above.

---
Best Regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
To Yasmin May 25, 2012

I have read your reply and appreciate that you made an offer to extend Catherine's licence. However, the shutdown of Wordfast might have occurred on a Saturday or a Sunday, or at some other time when you were not available to help out. That offer should also have been the immediate response to Catherine's first email to Wordfast. This still doesn't answer the point about Wordfast's failure to (a) automatically notify its users of any change of policy or procedure that might impact their use of the CAT tool; (b) give a few days' notice of shutdown or loss of functionality that will occur if a licence is not renewed, together with accurate information about the cost of renewal.

I think that you, personally, have always seemed to be really helpful to Wordfast users. I wish that was still the general ethos of the company; Yves' response indicates that it is not.

[Edited at 2012-05-25 20:58 GMT]

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Disingenuous May 25, 2012

Nope, I am in no way connected to Wf other than as a customer, and a not-always-satisfied one, for that matter.

Clamoring about "lack of empathy" is disingenuous. At best. Me, I see someone who is screaming in bad faith.

Oh, and when some technical SNAFU threatens a deadline, I look for a solution instead of whining "Not my fault".

Fellow translator? On n'a pas gardé les cochons ensemble, comme disait ma grand-mère !

B D Finch wrote:

This comment shows a lack of empathy or even common courtesy to a fellow translator who has, through no apparent fault of her own, suffered a completely unexpected disaster in the middle of a job. It also demonstrates a lack of belief in the concept of customer care.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast kaput, and a warning to all

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search