Thread poster: Murielle M
Murielle M
Murielle M
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:11
English to French
May 25, 2012

Hi,
I have been sent a Powerpoint document to update with a TM in .tmx format. I tried to open/import the .tmx TM into Wordfast Pro but it didn't find/see it. I looked for advice on this site and found that I could convert the .tmx file into Wordfast Pro .txt format with Olifant. I did and it worked. I imported the newly-converted .tmx TM into WF Pro and it worked. Now having selected the TM in 'Translation Memory', opened the document and clicked on 'translate all', I find that it doesn't
... See more
Hi,
I have been sent a Powerpoint document to update with a TM in .tmx format. I tried to open/import the .tmx TM into Wordfast Pro but it didn't find/see it. I looked for advice on this site and found that I could convert the .tmx file into Wordfast Pro .txt format with Olifant. I did and it worked. I imported the newly-converted .tmx TM into WF Pro and it worked. Now having selected the TM in 'Translation Memory', opened the document and clicked on 'translate all', I find that it doesn't recognize any of the segments (which are there, I could see them in the Olifant format). What am I doing wrong?
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:11
Finnish to French
Perform a TM lookup to check the TM is in use May 26, 2012

Murielle M wrote:
Now having selected the TM in 'Translation Memory', opened the document and clicked on 'translate all', I find that it doesn't recognize any of the segments (which are there, I could see them in the Olifant format). What am I doing wrong?

Clicking on 'translate all' will only produce results if that TM has something to offer for the document you are translating. Are you sure this is the case? Can you give an example of a source segment for which there should be (according to you) a match in the TM? What would be the corresponding segment in the TM (that would produce a match)? You can use the TM lookup function to display that segment. TM lookup is a good way to verify that a given segment is indeed in the TM.

Murielle M
Murielle M
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
The TM segments disappear when the TM is imported into WF Pro May 26, 2012

Hi,
Many thanks for your reply. The TM I was sent does contain the relevant segments, I can see them in Olifant, and I can see them in the converted .txt file. When I performed a TM lookup, it gave me 'no results'. I looked again and found that when I import the converted .txt file into Wordfast, all the segments disappear and only the top line remains. In other words it looks fine after conversion but becomes an empty TM when I import it using 'new / select TM'. I've tried it several time
... See more
Hi,
Many thanks for your reply. The TM I was sent does contain the relevant segments, I can see them in Olifant, and I can see them in the converted .txt file. When I performed a TM lookup, it gave me 'no results'. I looked again and found that when I import the converted .txt file into Wordfast, all the segments disappear and only the top line remains. In other words it looks fine after conversion but becomes an empty TM when I import it using 'new / select TM'. I've tried it several times and it happens every time. What can I do to stop this happening?
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Language codes May 26, 2012

If the content of a TM is displayed OK in Olifant, but fails to be imported in Wordfast Pro (after being saved as Wordfast TM), you may want to check the language codes. Wordfast Pro is quite picky with language codes, so give it what it expects: create a dummy TM in Wordfast Pro, open it (the TXT file) in a text editor and look at the codes for the source and target language. Make sure they match the codes found in the TM exported from Olifant; if necessary use find/replace in a text editor to ... See more
If the content of a TM is displayed OK in Olifant, but fails to be imported in Wordfast Pro (after being saved as Wordfast TM), you may want to check the language codes. Wordfast Pro is quite picky with language codes, so give it what it expects: create a dummy TM in Wordfast Pro, open it (the TXT file) in a text editor and look at the codes for the source and target language. Make sure they match the codes found in the TM exported from Olifant; if necessary use find/replace in a text editor to adjust the codes.Collapse

Murielle M
Murielle M
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
The language codes are the same May 27, 2012

Hello,

I'd already checked that, as per advice I found on this site, but the language codes are exactly the same, EN-GB and FR-FR.

I tried to use the converted .tmx in WF Classic as a test (typing in the content of the first Powerpoint slide into a Word doc) and that worked (the segment was translated as per the TM) so I don't think there's anything wrong with the TM but I can't use WF Classic to translate as the document I was sent is a large Powerpoint. I even tried
... See more
Hello,

I'd already checked that, as per advice I found on this site, but the language codes are exactly the same, EN-GB and FR-FR.

I tried to use the converted .tmx in WF Classic as a test (typing in the content of the first Powerpoint slide into a Word doc) and that worked (the segment was translated as per the TM) so I don't think there's anything wrong with the TM but I can't use WF Classic to translate as the document I was sent is a large Powerpoint. I even tried importing the WF Classic-converted TM into WF Pro but that didn't work either. The same thing happened, everything disappeared from the .txt file except the top line when I imported into WF Pro. I really need this sorted.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Contact the hotline! May 27, 2012

Murielle M wrote:
I really need this sorted.

Your hotline subscription is valid for two more days, take advantage of it and contact the hotline: see http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=181-32 > How do I contact the Hotline?

Murielle M
Murielle M
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
The hotline is not available to me May 28, 2012

Hello,

Thanks but I tried that yesterday and I wasn't given the option to contact the hotline, only the option to buy an extension for a year for £60. I can't remember when I bought the licence exactly but the site obviously thinks it was more than year ago which may well be the case. Not that it matters - if I could be sure that the problem will be resolved I'd gladly pay for the support extension, but if you / nobody here couldn't resolve it, is there a realistic chance that the
... See more
Hello,

Thanks but I tried that yesterday and I wasn't given the option to contact the hotline, only the option to buy an extension for a year for £60. I can't remember when I bought the licence exactly but the site obviously thinks it was more than year ago which may well be the case. Not that it matters - if I could be sure that the problem will be resolved I'd gladly pay for the support extension, but if you / nobody here couldn't resolve it, is there a realistic chance that the hotline will? I suppose there's only one way to find out... hoping I don't regret my £60! Thanks for your help so far.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Sorry, I misread the date May 28, 2012

Murielle M wrote:
Thanks but I tried that yesterday and I wasn't given the option to contact the hotline, only the option to buy an extension for a year for £60. I can't remember when I bought the licence exactly but the site obviously thinks it was more than year ago which may well be the case. Not that it matters - if I could be sure that the problem will be resolved I'd gladly pay for the support extension, but if you / nobody here couldn't resolve it, is there a realistic chance that the hotline will? I suppose there's only one way to find out... hoping I don't regret my £60! Thanks for your help so far.

Sorry, I misread the date of your purchase: it wasn't 29-May-2011, as I thought, but 25-May-2011. Therefore the one-year subscription included with your new license expired on Friday. Too bad you haven't been able to use it so far.
You can rest assured that as long as Yasmin is the main support person working at the Pro hotline, you are in very competent hands and you won't regret your €60 (I think hotline subscriptions – like all oher items in the Wordfast webstore – are priced in euros, not pounds).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.tmx TM converted to .txt TM in Olifant doesn't work in WF Pro

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »