Can't use the same glossary file simultaneously with Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro?
Thread poster: Bree Salmon

Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:45
Japanese to English
May 29, 2012

Maybe I'm just overlooking something here, but...

I am aware that you can import glossaries into wordfast Pro that you have created through wordfast classic or otherwise. But when doing so, it creates a new glossary file in a separate folder. The problem with this, of course, is that when I add new terms to the glossary in wordfast Pro, my wordfast classic glossary does not get updated with those terms.

Is there any way to set wordfast Pro to just simply use an existing glossary and have it update that glossary with new terms when they are added? Is this possible in the newest version (3.0)?

Direct link Reply with quote

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
So lonely... Jun 11, 2012

Nobody?

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:45
English to French
+ ...
the answer is no... Jun 11, 2012

... which is probably why no one from Wf is rushing to answer.

The solution, such as it is, is to convert/export the updated WFP glossary back to Wfc format. This is so annoying that I've never done it.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:45
Finnish to French
Possible workaround Jun 11, 2012

Bree Salmon wrote:
Is there any way to set wordfast Pro to just simply use an existing glossary and have it update that glossary with new terms when they are added? Is this possible in the newest version (3.0)?

Let's face it: Wordfast Pro hasn't really been designed with interoperability in mind, as far as terminology is concerned. However, there is an indirect way to use a WFP terminology list as a WFC glossary.

A WFP terminology list is a text file named g_x.txt (where x is a running number), which is located in c:\users\[your_username]\.wf_workplace\glossaries, plus a folder with the same name (g_x), which a bunch of files you don't need to care about.

You can select the text file (g_x.txt) as a glossary in WFC. You will get the extra files (.bak, .idg) created by WFC, but WFP won't be bothered by them. You just need to make sure the .txt file won't be accessed at the same time by WFP and WFC.

Terms you will add in WFC will be recognized by WFP, and vice-versa. Use at your own risk.

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 12, 2012

Great information Dominique. I thought the two Wordfasts would screw up the coding or something with the text files and render them useless. But it's great to hear that that will work! That should work until a more elegant solution is devised. Because I use both programs quite a bit (anyone out there that doesn't use WFP for PowerPoint files?).

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
+ ...
CafeTran can use Wf Classic's glossaries Jun 12, 2012

There are other Java based CAT tools as an alternative for Wf Pro around. One of them is CafeTran that can use Wf Classic's glossaries without any conversion/import (if you don't use stemming).

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
UTF8 vs UTF16LE Jun 12, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Terms you will add in WFC will be recognized by WFP, and vice-versa. Use at your own risk.

When I open a WFP glossary in WFC, WFC deletes its content without blinking (and without backing it up)... unless I first convert the WFP glossary from UTF8 to UTF16LE. Is that normal?

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
UTF-8 really? Jun 12, 2012

I’ve checked the glossaries I have in the WFP workspace directory under MS Windows 7. All of them are in UTF-16LE. So, I wonder, why are your glossaries in UTF-8? And are they in plain UTF-8 or UTF-8BOM? WFC (or, more precisely, MS Word) should have no problem reading UTF-8BOM.

[Edited at 2012-06-12 09:19 GMT]

Finnish to French
WFP glossaries should be UTF-16 Jun 12, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
When I open a WFP glossary in WFC, WFC deletes its content without blinking (and without backing it up)... unless I first convert the WFP glossary from UTF8 to UTF16LE. Is that normal?

As Dmitri said, a terminology list (the g_x.txt file) created by WFP3 should be UTF-16. At least it was the case for me.

Finnish to French
PowerPoint with WFC Jun 12, 2012

Bree Salmon wrote:
I thought the two Wordfasts would screw up the coding or something with the text files and render them useless. But it's great to hear that that will work!

It did work in the short test I performed, but double-check with your own files.

Bree Salmon wrote:
anyone out there that doesn't use WFP for PowerPoint files?

You can actually translate PowerPoint files (and other non-Word files) with WFC, using the following workaround:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/03/04/translate-any-format-in-wordfast-classic-with-wordfast-pro-3/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't use the same glossary file simultaneously with Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search