New to Wordfast Classic Shortcut issues
Thread poster: Tell-it-como-es

Tell-it-como-es  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Spanish to English
May 30, 2012

I have just finished studying the beginners' manual. I am unable to use the commands Ctrl Alt and any arrows on my Spanish Extensa 5230E laptop. I have to use the icons to select and insert placeables for example. I am wondering if I need to activate any FN key command as the arrows also have FN symbols on them.

I do not think i can access the Glossary toolbar. When I use the Ctrl Alt and G I get a box called Terminology 2x Ctrl Alt T is that right? There only appear to be a couple of entries in there and not the full glossary.

In the QC (which is QA in my version) I want to know if the manual version of "Identical untranslateables in source/target segments" and " Identical tags in source/target segments" are the same as "Target untranslateables must be found in source" and "Source tags must be found in target" as appear in my version? I was unsure whether to click them or not.

Also on a basic level, I need clarification on the TM as a whole. Where is it, how do I save it, how does it work if terms are only matched from glossaries and how would it be used for different projects (ie would I build on one and use that for different projects or create a separate one for each project)?

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
Finnish to French
Some answers to your questions May 30, 2012

Tell-it-como-es wrote:
I have just finished studying the beginners' manual. I am unable to use the commands Ctrl Alt and any arrows on my Spanish Extensa 5230E laptop. I have to use the icons to select and insert placeables for example. I am wondering if I need to activate any FN key command as the arrows also have FN symbols on them.

On laptops, the Ctrl+Alt+arrows shortcuts are often used by the driver of the graphics adapter. Right-click on your Desktop, see if you have something like Graphics options, and if so, navigate your way to the point where you can disable shortcuts. The exact instructions depend on the type of graphics adapter you have.
Tell-it-como-es wrote:
I do not think i can access the Glossary toolbar. When I use the Ctrl Alt and G I get a box called Terminology 2x Ctrl Alt T is that right? There only appear to be a couple of entries in there and not the full glossary.

The way the glossary lookup works depends on the version of Wordfast and Word you use. Since you mentioned neither, it's difficult to answer your question.
Tell-it-como-es wrote:
In the QC (which is QA in my version) I want to know if the manual version of "Identical untranslateables in source/target segments" and " Identical tags in source/target segments" are the same as "Target untranslateables must be found in source" and "Source tags must be found in target" as appear in my version? I was unsure whether to click them or not.

Yes, QC is now called QA, so you must be using Wordfast 6.x. The reference manual is what you should consult when you need a definite answer. It's available at wordfast.net > products > update.
Tell-it-como-es wrote:
Also on a basic level, I need clarification on the TM as a whole. Where is it, how do I save it, how does it work if terms are only matched from glossaries and how would it be used for different projects (ie would I build on one and use that for different projects or create a separate one for each project)?

You don't have to "save" the TM. Once a TM is selected, everything you translate gets automatically stored there.
TM's and glossaries are two different things. TM's work at the segment level (segment are typically sentences), glossaries work at the term level (terms are typically single words, or expressions of 2-3 words).
How you organize your TM's and your glossaries is up to you. Many freelancers favour the "big mamma" approach for TM's: everything goes into a single TM. In that case, it can make sense to use attributes in order to differentiate translations done for various clients.

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Context search Jun 7, 2012

Thanks. I am still studying the manuals. I am unclear about how to do a context search. What is the shortcut as it doen't seem to mention it in the manual, it only shows how to do it for Referencing.

Finnish to French
Concordance search Jun 7, 2012

Tell-it-como-es wrote:
I am unclear about how to do a context search. What is the shortcut as it doen't seem to mention it in the manual, it only shows how to do it for Referencing.

Context search is the old name, it is now called concordance search. The shortcut remained unchanged, however: it is still Ctrl+Alt+C. What manual are you using? The reference manual in English for version 6 mentions concordance search on page 86.

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reference manuals Jun 7, 2012

I am using the English training manuals as available on wordfast.com. I couldn't find a reference manual by following the path you said (there was no option for 'update' in the products section). but downloaded the Wordfast Classics full technical reference manual from the same page but it seems to be for version 5.

Finnish to French
Wordfast Classic reference manual Jun 7, 2012

Tell-it-como-es wrote:
I am using the English training manuals as available on wordfast.com. I couldn't find a reference manual by following the path you said (there was no option for 'update' in the products section). but downloaded the Wordfast Classics full technical reference manual from the same page but it seems to be for version 5.

The reference manual for Wordfast Classic v. 6 can be dowloaded from wordfast.net > products > download

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Inaccurate info on wordfast.com site Jun 7, 2012

Thank you Dominique.

When i was originally searching for the manuals I had trouble and ended up getting them from the .com site I mentioned previously. I hadn't been able to locate them on the .net site
This is a shame as I have spent a long time studying what I presumed was the most up to date material.

I have now downloaded the training guides and reference manual from the .net site and emailed them asking them to update the .com links

I will now have to go through all my notes and cross-check. Sigh.

xxxchristela
The best way Jun 8, 2012

is to take a text and to translate it. In about two hours you should be able to grasp the most important things and then to use it in daily life.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to Wordfast Classic Shortcut issues

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search