Wordfast why???
Thread poster: barryw
barryw
Local time: 10:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 30, 2012

A series of doubts for WF

1. Why WFA disables Download Bilingual Word File feature with the launch of WFP 3?

2. Why WF family, including WFP 3 cannot handle Xliff, TTX natively, instead they introduced TXML in this new era of embracing open-standards?

WF is a good tool, but WF, please don't focus on maximizing profits by playing tricks of launching different products with outdated functions, focusing on improving user experience, money comes faster - I love to pay for a really useful tool!

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Barry May 30, 2012

barryw wrote:
1. Why WFA disables Download Bilingual Word File feature with the launch of WFP 3?

Can someone from WF confirm this please? Was it ever possible to download a bilingual RTF file from WFA?

2. Why WF family, including WFP 3 cannot handle Xliff, TTX natively, instead they introduced TXML in this new era of embracing open-standards?

Do you know of an open/opensource converter that converts various formats into XLF? No? For example, if I want to translate a DOC file (MS Word), and I want to convert it to XLF, is there a free or open utility that can do that?

See, XLF may be "open" but each company still has to develop its own converters. XLF is a complex format and TXML is a simple format, so if you had to write a program like WF, would you rather have the program convert files to a simple format that you have total control over, or to a complex format that is being developed by people who have no commercial relationship with you?

xxxchristela
Would like to know too May 30, 2012

I have lots of Word and xliff files, WF Pro is not very useful for me.
Translation takes other directions than expected three years ago.
Maybe WF should do a client survey?

Yves Champollion  Identity Verified
English to French
What was the format of the file you uploaded? May 30, 2012

barryw wrote:

What was the format of the file you uploaded? (DOC? XLS? PPT? INX?, etc.)

- YC

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 04:22
English to Arabic
XLF May 30, 2012

Dear Barryw & Christela,

christela wrote:

I have lots of Word and xliff files, WF Pro is not very useful for me.

I have a user who (seems as if he) does not translate anything except XLF files. He happily uses Wordfast Pro only. He uses this method http://wordfast.net/wiki/Translation_of_XLF_Files and he contacts me when he has any question or needs some kind of customization.

Even with Wordfast Anywhere, this is possible once a TXML file is generated in Wordfast Pro; no need for a license.

barryw wrote:
Why WF family, including WFP 3 cannot handle Xliff, TTX natively, instead they introduced TXML in this new era of embracing open-standards?

As for XLIFF, I have answered above. Most importantly, I hope you are really talking about the "standard" XLIFF format, not any "native" XLIFF format generated to be processed by only one tool.

As for TTX, this is the first time I hear it is an open-standard format; I expect this is not what you mean! Anyhow, Wordfast Pro handles TTX files in the way that almost any other tool in the market handles it. For more information about translating TTX files, please refer to this knowledge-base article:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=138-35

Please let me know if you have further questions.

---
Best Regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2012-05-30 20:11 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
TTX, XLIFF May 30, 2012

barryw wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "handling TTX natively", but the only tool with native support for TTX is TagEditor. Some tools can segment unsegmented TTX files, but it's a risky proposition. To be on the safe side, you should do the segmenting in TagEditor, which is what WFP requires you to do.
As to TXML, it is not that different from SDLXLIFF: just because SDLXLIFF is XLIFF doesn't mean you can open it in any XLIFF-compatible tool; SDLXLIFF includes proprietary extensions to the basic XLIFF standard, so specific filters must be designed for it. TXML is XML and is supported by a number of third-party tools like memoQ, ApSIC Xbench, ChangeTracker etc.

Yves Champollion  Identity Verified
English to French
Sorry, no conspiracy here May 30, 2012

[quote]Yves Champollion wrote:

barryw wrote:

To make a long story short, WFAnywhere has not disabled that feature (it's only available for the DOC format, as always has been). Rest of the post contains illusory developments based on that misunderstanding.

No big deal though. Compared to other threads, yours is almost sympathetic!

- YC

barryw
Local time: 10:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 31, 2012

Thanks for all your comments, friends, and yes confirmed, if we upload Doc files to WFA, we can use "Download Bilingual Word File" feature, sorry for the confusion!

Actually, I am a pro-WF user with years of using experience, I like the tool, that's the reason I concern WF's developments, otherwise, I won't bother it at all.

Having said that, I still wish WF can introduce even more user/file format friendly tool to incorporate most file formats regardless of open standard or not (as long as many translators still struggling with them day to day), because I guess most of us are not programmers by training, extra workarounds if work still consume a lot of time on translators.

By doing so, WF can be a truly the "second best" or even the best CAT tool in the market.

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:22
We want your feedback Jun 5, 2012

christela wrote:
Maybe WF should do a client survey?

Wordfast Pro users: Tell us what you think. Please take a few minutes to fill out this short survey - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CPCK8JY

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Kristyna

Evelien Snel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:22
Member (2010)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I miss the contents of CDATA-elements Jun 29, 2012

Yasmin thank you for the xliff-filter provided.
It works great.
But I am now working with xliff-files provided by IcanLocalize and they contain some text embedded in CDATA-elements that need translation.
Is there any way we can get those into the translation screen?

Best regards,
Evelien

Edit: I studied the source XML more closely now. What I found is ALL text is in CDATA elements and in my translation window I only see the text after the first "newline" in the input. For one-line elements, the result is they do not show up at all. For multi-line elements I see everything except the first line...

Edit: I have changed the first 2 lines of the .properties-file into:

paragraphPrefix.1=<target><!\\[CDATA\\[
paragraphSuffix.1=\\]\\]></target>

This seems to help, at least for my input files. I now see all the text to be translated.

[Edited at 2012-06-29 14:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-06-29 15:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-06-29 15:32 GMT]

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
CDATA Jun 29, 2012

Dear Evelien,

I am happy it worked for you.

Again, you can remove <target></target> from the properties file and keep only the CDATA parts.

The XML tutorial includes some downloadable examples:
http://wordfast.net/wiki/Translation_of_XML_Files

Kind regards,
Yasmin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast why???

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search