Microsoft Visual Basic error "sub or function not defined"
Thread poster: Paul Skidmore

Paul Skidmore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:27
German to English
Jun 11, 2012

Last week my anti-virus software found something and zapped it. I have no idea what.

Ever since then, when I try to open Word a window first appears with the message "Sub or function not defined". If I click on "OK" I can work in Word for editing purposes without any problems.

However, when I try to work using Wordfast Classic I am now told that the macro cannot be found or has been deactivated because of my macro protection settings.

I have not done anything to change the macro settings.

Does anyone have any ideas? Clearly something has become slightly corrupted. But I have no idea what.

Your suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:27
Finnish to French
Which antivirus? Jun 11, 2012

Paul Skidmore wrote:
Last week my anti-virus software found something and zapped it. I have no idea what.

What is your antivirus? If it is Avira, you can find specific instructions here: http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=151-21

If it's another antivirus, you have to adapt the instructions, but the basic principle remains the same: you should re-download Wordfast and make sure your antivirus won't "disinfect" wordfast.dot

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Avira basic Jun 12, 2012

Thank you for the advice.

I have been using the "free" basic version of Avira for several years and have never had this problem before.

However, I will certainly make the changes to Avira you suggest.

Do I have to de-install the existing version of Wordfast which is on my computer before re-downloading a fresh version?

Will my existing translation memory remain intact if I re-download Wordfast? I wouldn't want to lose my accumulated work.

Many thanks

Paul

Finnish to French
Avira Jun 12, 2012

Paul Skidmore wrote:
I have been using the "free" basic version of Avira for several years and have never had this problem before.

The problem (Avira seeing wordfast.dot as a "virus") only started with relatively recent versions of Wordfast.

Paul Skidmore wrote:
Do I have to de-install the existing version of Wordfast which is on my computer before re-downloading a fresh version?

The copy of wordfast.dot that has been "disinfected" by Avira was rendered useless, so you have nothing to lose by deleting it. You need to be careful Avira doesn't try to "disinfect" any new copy of Wordfast you may download from now on. The "disinfection" will take place immediately after you've downloaded the .zip file, so you need to take all the steps described in the knowledge base article.

Paul Skidmore wrote:
Will my existing translation memory remain intact if I re-download Wordfast? I wouldn't want to lose my accumulated work.

No, Avira won't "disinfect" your TM's, it's only interested in the .dot file.

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
A false positive Jun 12, 2012

A well known question. Surf on the Net to learn about it. In french "faux positif".

Kind regards,

A.E.

Finnish to French
Of course, Wordfast is a false positive Jun 12, 2012

Adrien Esparron wrote:
A well known question. Surf on the Net to learn about it. In french "faux positif".

Indeed, if Wordfast truly was a virus, someone surely would have noticed. However, merely knowing Wordfast is a false positive in Avira isn't of much help if you need to use both together, which is why detailed instructions are provided in a knowledge base article.

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the practical advice Jun 14, 2012

Hi Dominique,

Thank you for all the practical advice and the link to the Wordfast knowledge base.

I have successfully followed these steps and all is working again.

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Visual Basic error "sub or function not defined"

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search