Thread poster: Christina Moreira
Christina Moreira
Christina Moreira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:29
English to Portuguese
Jun 17, 2012

Hi,

I used Classic for many years and finally decided to use PRO, which came under the same license. I have many TMs, one of them very large from an ongoing job, and when I tried to install it on PRO I received the response that its header is invalid. I've looked but didn't find information about what is a valid header for Wordfast PRO.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Christina.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
Finnish to French
Header = first line in the .txt file Jun 17, 2012

Christina Moreira wrote:
I used Classic for many years and finally decided to use PRO, which came under the same license. I have many TMs, one of them very large from an ongoing job, and when I tried to install it on PRO I received the response that its header is invalid. I've looked but didn't find information about what is a valid header for Wordfast PRO.

The header in a Wordfast TM is the very first line in the .txt file. You can delete it and replace it with the same line taken from a TM created in Wf Pro (in the same language pair). You can do this in a text editor (for instance Notepad), using the copy/paste function.
Your problem is most likely due to language codes: Pro is stricter than Classic when it comes to these codes.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:29
English to Arabic
TM Header Jun 17, 2012

Dear Christina,

If it is really a Wordfast TM, please open the TM in Wordfast Classic and click "Reorganize".

I have seen this message with local Wordfast TMs coming form PlusTools or TMs missing the very first % from the header for some reason. So, you can either "Reorganize" or even add the missing % in the latter case manually.

Dear Dominique,

Wordfast Pro is strict about language codes of TMX TMs; however, it is very tolerant towards
... See more
Dear Christina,

If it is really a Wordfast TM, please open the TM in Wordfast Classic and click "Reorganize".

I have seen this message with local Wordfast TMs coming form PlusTools or TMs missing the very first % from the header for some reason. So, you can either "Reorganize" or even add the missing % in the latter case manually.

Dear Dominique,

Wordfast Pro is strict about language codes of TMX TMs; however, it is very tolerant towards local TMs. So, if you even have an FR>EN TM, you can "Select" and leverage (use) it in an FR-FR>EN-US project, whatever. You can even "Add" any TM file while you are in a project with a completely different language pair (however, you cannot select it unless you open a project with the same language pair, of course.) Both cases are different when it is rather a TMX.

The post of Christina seems to be about a local Wordfast (Classic) TM. So, if it is rather about a TMX, I hope she clarifies that. However, in this case the TMX will NOT give an error message about the header; it might give rather a message about "Non-compatible locale". The other case that WFP might give an error message about the header is if the user tries to open a Trados TXT exported TM.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2012-06-17 23:31 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
Finnish to French
Language codes Jun 18, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Wordfast Pro is strict about language codes of TMX TMs; however, it is very tolerant towards local TMs. So, if you even have an FR>EN TM, you can "Select" and leverage (use) it in an FR-FR>EN-US project, whatever. You can even "Add" any TM file while you are in a project with a completely different language pair (however, you cannot select it unless you open a project with the same language pair, of course.) Both cases are different when it is rather a TMX.

Thanks, Yasmin, for pointing this out! However, some language codes that used to be recommended by Wordfast (Classic) earlier on were not accepted by Pro. For instance, older versions of Classic suggested FI-01 as the code for Finnish, while Pro only accepted FI-FI or FI. I haven't checked lately if Pro now tolerates FI-01 for Finnish.
Yasmin Moslem wrote:
The post of Christina seems to be about a local Wordfast (Classic) TM. So, if it is rather about a TMX, I hope she clarifies that. However, in this case the TMX will NOT give an error message about the header; it might give rather a message about "Non-compatible locale". The other case that WFP might give an error message about the header is if the user tries to open a Trados TXT exported TM.

Indeed, I assumed Christina was dealing with a native Wordfast TM. It's probably not the case, since the Failed to connect. Translation memory header is invalid error message points to the attempt of opening a Trados export TM, as you correctly noted and as explained in this KB article. Christina therefore needs to convert the TM to the Wordfast native format (as explained in the article) or to request the TM in the TMX format instead.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:29
English to Arabic
When to have a TM header error? Jun 18, 2012

Dear Dominique,

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Thanks, Yasmin, for pointing this out! However, some language codes that used to be recommended by Wordfast (Classic) earlier on were not accepted by Pro. For instance, older versions of Classic suggested FI-01 as the code for Finnish, while Pro only accepted FI-FI or FI. I haven't checked lately if Pro now tolerates FI-01 for Finnish.

You must know better. However, as far as I know (and double-checked), Wordfast Pro ignores 01; for example, WF Pro deals with JA-01 just as JA. So, there is no problem in this regard, and even if the second part is not a valid locale at all, you will still be able to Add, Select, and use the TM.

It is important to know what might trigger the TM Header error. Even if you give a completely invalid language code (like ZZ-ZZ), WFP will give a different error message saying "Locale object for specified locale-code (zz) does not exist."

WFP gives the error about the TM Header when the "syntax" of the header is clearly invalid. For language codes, if you have three-letter code, this could be an invalid header. However, Wordfast Classic does NOT have three letter code as a standard.

Again, as I mentioned earlier, if it is really a Wordfast TM (not a Trados exported TM), Christina can open the TM in Wordfast Classic latest version and click "Reorganize" to fix the problem in the case the TM is created in a too old version of WFC, PlusTools, or missing %, whatever.

In any case, it might be a good idea that Christina opens the TM and copies the header here so that we can see what the problem is/was.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2012-06-18 09:08 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast PRO - Problems to name TM

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »