Inserting a glossary in Wordfast
Thread poster: Vito Russi

Vito Russi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:45
Russian to Italian
+ ...
Jun 18, 2012

Hi everybody!I have a question about Wordfast and the management of terminology. I already know how to create a glossary and insert terms in it during a translation with WF. But is it possible for me to create my own glossary and insert it in WF, so that I don't have to insert everytime a single new term from a translation?
Thank you very much!))

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 09:45
English to Arabic
Importing a glossary to Wordfast Jun 18, 2012

Dear Vito,

Do you mean Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro?

Please have a look here: http://wordfast.net/wiki/Using_Excel_or_Word_Glossaries

HTH,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2012-06-18 20:22 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
Finnish to French
Use Excel to create a glossary Jun 18, 2012

Vito Russi wrote:
Hi everybody!I have a question about Wordfast and the management of terminology. I already know how to create a glossary and insert terms in it during a translation with WF. But is it possible for me to create my own glossary and insert it in WF, so that I don't have to insert everytime a single new term from a translation?

You can use Excel to create a two-column table (source terms in left column, target terms in right column). Save it as Unicode text (important!) and you'll have a ready-to-use Wordfast Classic glossary. If you're using Wordfast Pro, you can import that text file into a Pro terminology list.

In the following video clip (length: 02:37), you can see how to do it in practice:

http://youtu.be/m6xhFo_UKFo?hd=1

Narration is in Finnish, but it's easy to follow even if you don't understand the language.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sure Jun 19, 2012

Just open any good text editor and go on typing in your terms in pairs as follows:
Code:
source term tab translation

Save the file as UTF-16LE and engage in WFC or import to WFP depending on what you use.

[Edited at 2012-06-19 06:22 GMT]

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:45
English to Czech
Comparision of OmegaT and Wordfast Classic Jun 19, 2012

esperantisto wrote:

Just open any good text editor and go on typing in your terms in pairs as follows:
Code:
source term tab translation

Save the file as UTF-16LE and engage in WFC or import to WFP depending on what you use.

[Edited at 2012-06-19 06:22 GMT]

Here is a short presentation in Czech (in the need use GoogleTranslate on site)

http://www.condak.net/cat_other/omegat/2012-04-07/cs/00.html

In Wordfast you can propagate (translate expressions) terminology automatically.

Milan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inserting a glossary in Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search