Using TRADOS TMs in Wordfast Pro
Thread poster: boqueron56

boqueron56
Local time: 00:30
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 20, 2012

Hi there,
I'm a free-lance translator and I see that many US and UK-based companies prefer Wordfast as CAT tool.
As someone any experience trying to import/convert TM files generated in TRADOS (older version 6.5) into Wordfast Pro 3.0?
I need to know what to do with all these years of TM gathering before I decide to buy another platform.
Cheers,
Alberto.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:30
Finnish to French
Explained in KB article Jun 20, 2012

boqueron56 wrote:
As someone any experience trying to import/convert TM files generated in TRADOS (older version 6.5) into Wordfast Pro 3.0?
I need to know what to do with all these years of TM gathering before I decide to buy another platform.

See How to open a Trados TXT memory in Wordfast? in the Knowledge Base.

Please note that the .TXT file created by the older version of Trados you are using may be missing the very first line (TWBExportFile=...). You will need to add such a line in order for ApSIC Xbench to be able to open your .TXT file.

TM's exported from Trados may carry extra weight in the form of tags, which are useless in Wordfast. If so, you may want to use Wordfast Classic to remove the fat, using the Data editor's Remove all tags function. You can do this even if your Wordfast license doesn't include the Classic version (demo mode will be sufficient).

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using TRADOS TMs in Wordfast Pro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search