PDF "does not contain any translatable segments"
Thread poster: Maria Hoskins

Maria Hoskins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:42
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jun 20, 2012

New to WF Pro which I purchased a week ago, full version.

Attempting to open PDF docs for the first time in it and getting the above message. The PDFs are perfectly legible on my system.

Help!

Maria

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:42
Finnish to French
Use Wordfast Anywhere Jun 20, 2012

Your PDF is probably image-based. Open it in Wordfast Anywhere, which has a converter for such PDF's. You can do the actual translation in Wordfast Pro.

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just tried that Jun 20, 2012

WFA is telling me it does not contain any sentence...

But as I said, I can see it!

It was sent to me as one of a series of zipped files and I unzipped and saved it into my own... But as I said, its contents are perfectly visible...

Finnish to French
Access to content can be restricted Jun 20, 2012

Maria Hoskins wrote:
But as I said, its contents are perfectly visible...

Just because the content of a PDF is visible doesn't mean it's accessible to a converter such as the ones used in WFA and WFP. There are security settings in PDF's that can restrict access to the content, so that (for instance) you can see it, but not print it or extract it.
Open your PDF in Adobe Reader, then select File > Properties > Security and see if access is restricted in any way.

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Doc assembly, signing and creation of template page Jun 20, 2012

are disallowed all the rest of the security settings are allowed.

Finnish to French
Contact the hotline Jun 20, 2012

Maria Hoskins wrote:
Doc assembly, signing and creation of template page are disallowed all the rest of the security settings are allowed.

This is strange. Place a query on the hotline (see http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=181-32 ) and have a copy of your PDF sent there.

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps too much processing? Jun 20, 2012

Just had a breakthrough here and I've managed to open it in WFA. The original was part of a zip, I opened it in Adobe and saved as PDF... No joy. But then I used the zip programme to save all the docs directly to my files and that, apparently WFA can handle... Huh I don't get it, but well...

Thanks for your help, Dom.

Maria

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:42
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
What was the purpose... Jun 20, 2012

Maria Hoskins wrote:
The original was part of a zip, I opened it in Adobe and saved as PDF... No joy. But then I used the zip programme to save all the docs directly to my files and that, apparently WFA can handle... Huh I don't get it, but well...

... of these actions?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dangerous practice, but not uncommon Jun 20, 2012

Maria Hoskins wrote:
The original was part of a zip, I opened it in Adobe and saved as PDF... No joy. But then I used the zip programme to save all the docs directly to my files and that...

Personally I think that that method of extracting ZIP files (or similarly of saving e-mail attachments) is dangerous because the program that saves the file can make changes to it. It is better to save attachments directly to the disk (not via the program that opens it) and to unzip files directly using the zip program (and not by opening the files in the associated program first). This is a classic example of how a program (Adobe) had made changes to the file when it resaved it.

xxxchristela
What was the original extension? Jun 21, 2012

Maria Hoskins wrote:
The original was part of a zip, I opened it in Adobe and saved as PDF... No joy. But then I used the zip programme to save all the docs directly to my files and that...

I suggestion you to extract the original file from the zip file first and put it somewhere on your computer where it can be found (separate folder).
Opening directly in the zip-file damages the file.
Then: what is the original extension? If it is Word, Powerpoint, Excel, InDesign, ... you can translate all of them directly with WF, no need to save to PDF first.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF "does not contain any translatable segments"

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search