Thread poster: Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Canada
Local time: 03:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 2, 2012

I am having trouble with keeping the same file name when opening that file sent by email in Wordfast. Is it normal that Wordfast open using the last project name and setting? For example, I just finished a project and I closed the file and send it to the client. Then, another project comes along, and the client sends a Wordfast file to work on; when I try to open it in Wordfast, a message saying the language pair is not the one specified on the last project and therefore, I have to open a new pr... See more
I am having trouble with keeping the same file name when opening that file sent by email in Wordfast. Is it normal that Wordfast open using the last project name and setting? For example, I just finished a project and I closed the file and send it to the client. Then, another project comes along, and the client sends a Wordfast file to work on; when I try to open it in Wordfast, a message saying the language pair is not the one specified on the last project and therefore, I have to open a new project and have to copy the name and language setup of the new project. My question: Is there a way to get Wordfast to just open the sent file and accept the new settings, and just start a new project without me having to copy the name of the file sent by email? In the same way that when you receive a new Word document by email, you just open it and save it in your computer.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Create a new project! Jul 2, 2012

By default, Wordfast opens the previous project you were working on. When you receive a new file to translate you have to create a new project. While a new file to translate does not necessarily mean a new project, your client might be sending you different files for different projects.
Project A > Any amount of files with a specific translation memory (source language, with locale, target language, with locale [e.g. en-us-es-mx, or en-uk_es-co, fr-fr_en-uk).
Project B > Any amoun
... See more
By default, Wordfast opens the previous project you were working on. When you receive a new file to translate you have to create a new project. While a new file to translate does not necessarily mean a new project, your client might be sending you different files for different projects.
Project A > Any amount of files with a specific translation memory (source language, with locale, target language, with locale [e.g. en-us-es-mx, or en-uk_es-co, fr-fr_en-uk).
Project B > Any amount of files with a specific translation memory, and its setting is different to the settings of Project A.

You said:
I just finished a project and I closed the file and send it to the client.

You only sent the files to the client, not the project. Next time, if you receive new files, you will have to decide if they belong to the same project or they belong to a new project. How do you know that? Just check the final client. Don't change the settings of the received files.

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
keeping the same name when opening a Wordfast file sent by email Jul 2, 2012

Hi, Clarissa, thank you for your answer; then, what I should do is to create projects for each client and add a new file to that project of that same client, right?

christela (X)
christela (X)
How do you open files? Jul 3, 2012

I am afraid that you open files directly in your e-mail program (Outlook or Thunderbird), is that so?
If so, then first save it to disk, in a directory where you can find it, and then open it with Wordfast (first start WF, then create project with the right language pair settings, then open the file). Clicking on it doesn't always work.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right! Jul 3, 2012

That's exactly what I wanted to say!

Clarisa

Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
keeping the same name when opening a Wordfast file sent by email Jul 3, 2012

Thank you so much, Clarissa, you've been very helpful!!

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Why? Jul 3, 2012

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

When you receive a new file to translate you have to create a new project.

Why really? You can go on translating incoming files in a continous project unless you want to change something (language pair, TM and glossary setup, for example).

Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
keeping the same name when opening a Wordfast file sent by email Jul 3, 2012

Christela, thank you for your insight, I tried to open the file directly from the email and per your advice, I was able to successfully open the file inside the new project.
Thanks a lot!

Esperantisto, thank you for your contribution, I did some translations as a continuous project but the problem arose when trying to open a file with different language settings, now I understand how to proceed, thanks a lot... See more
Christela, thank you for your insight, I tried to open the file directly from the email and per your advice, I was able to successfully open the file inside the new project.
Thanks a lot!

Esperantisto, thank you for your contribution, I did some translations as a continuous project but the problem arose when trying to open a file with different language settings, now I understand how to proceed, thanks a lot
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

keeping the same name when opening a Wordfast file sent by email

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »