Will WF Pro for Mac be ever developed further?
Thread poster: Pete Zubkov (X)

Pete Zubkov (X)
Jul 11, 2012

Hello

Writing here in hope to hear something on the subject from Wordfast developers.

I have been using WF for Mac, first Classic then Pro, for five years by now (my second license expires in a year, so it should be roughly five years). Since I switched to WF Pro, few Mac-specific problems have been resolved.

To name a few: you cannot navigate to line start and line end using native Mac OS shortcuts (Ctrl + left/right arrow). It can drive you mad when you switch between WF and, say, Pages. I tried to configure shortcuts in WF preferences, but had to give up not to upset the whole thing. Why don't you preconfigure the Mac version according to a Mac user's habits?

You cannot click a suggestion retrieved from the TM and displayed in the bottom of WF window so that it is inserted in the target segment. Worse than that, it does not always copy from there.

Resource management has problems too. Sometimes on large projects WF Pro (in the text display mode) slows down massively. Text you type is displayed with a huge lag. Have to switch to the table mode (which is very inconvenient because for some reason not all shortcuts work there), work there for a while, then switch back till the next slowdown...

Sorry, that is not how professional software (and that has to be relicensed every 3 years) should work.

What about the user interface? WF Pro 3.0 was announced not long ago but the only really new thing I noticed was (at last) a proper Dock icon. All other problems are still there. Including the archaic graphic interface resembling Word 2003. Sorry again, that is not what should be offered for professional use, ie for those who spend many hours a day in the software. Compare WF Pro interface with that of any professional graphics software (which is licensed for life, by the way...)

And final remark, though it is rather a suggestion than an objection, since it is based mainly on my intuition. Abandon Java and rewrite the app for Mac OS native platform, otherwise it will never perform properly or support new OS features.

Would be nice to get feedback from WF developers.

Regards

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:01
Finnish to French
Wordfast Pro beta list Jul 12, 2012

eraopas wrote:
Writing here in hope to hear something on the subject from Wordfast developers.

AFAIK, the developers of Wordfast Pro don't hang out here. If you want to give feedback that would affect the development of future versions, you should probably apply for membership of the beta list at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WFPRO_beta/

Pete Zubkov (X)
TOPIC STARTER
WF developers can be seen here Jul 12, 2012

Hello Dominique

Why, I can see that members of WF team do take part in some of discussions here.

Hopefully, they will find time to present their vision of the future of WF Pro for Mac.

Regards

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Local time: 22:01
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Same with Linux version Jul 12, 2012

Same problem with the Linux version, too.

Major problems has not been fixed since the first version:
-64 bit Linux systems are still not supported.
-One cannot add words to the spelling dictionary.

A high-sounding slogan from the Wordfast website:

"WFP is the world's #1 platform-independent TM tool."

I would add: "However, for he best result please use MS Windows."

Regards,

Gyula

Pete Zubkov (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Pay same price for less? Jul 12, 2012

What about different pricing of versions then?
Why should Mac/Linux users pay same price as Windows users getting far less in return?

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will WF Pro for Mac be ever developed further?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search