Provisional segments in WF Pro
Thread poster: big_fish

big_fish  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2012

Hello,
I've got a job that seems to be best suited for WF Pro rather than my otherwise favourite WF Classic.
I am not very fluent, but since I can clearly see the advantage of using Pro instead of Classic tunes my mind well and I am learning quickly. Yet, a lot to be learned and maybe the problem I am facing is caused by knowing this tool too little.
What I cannot cope with is a feature that would be equivalent to the provisional segment (F10). There's a number of segments I just don't want to get to the TM before I clarify their meaning.
The job is a follow-up on what was translated some time ago with lots of 100% hits, which I would just skip (also don't know how, but perhaps I should put it in another post).
I can use notes to put my doubts and concerns, but I would like to specifically get a result equivalent to F10 in WF Classic. I'm aware this may involve a different approach as it is a totally different piece of software, in spite of common ancestry.
Is there anyone versed well enough in both Classic and Pro to help me get on the right track?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Krzysztof

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:45
Finnish to French
Confirm/unconfirm Jul 11, 2012

You can use the confirm/unconfirm feature (Alt+Enter) which I think is the closest equivalent of Classic's provisional segment (F10): when you "unconfirm" a segment, you will get an asterisk next to its number in the outline view, just like you would get a yellow note in Classic with F10. A segment marked as "unconfirmed" won't be committed to the TM, just like moving to the next segment in Classic with F10 won't send the segment pair to the TM.

If you are more comfortable with Classic than with Pro, but need to use Pro because it's better suited than Classic for the particular job, you may want to consider the following approach:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/03/04/translate-any-format-in-wordfast-classic-with-wordfast-pro-3/

big_fish  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bilingual review is a good option Jul 12, 2012

When I saw this option I found it's a good move and actually thought of roughly the same method you present in your video.
It's a pity though that you don't have a choice of what to output, e.g. only no match segments.
When 4,250 segments are 100% and only the rest needs to be translated this is pretty awkward in WF Classic to go through all the 100% matches until you reach a no-match.
I am still not sure about the confirm/unconfirm feature and how it may impact the output translation (I want to deliver a txml file for testing).
I have no way to see it directly on the files as I was provided with txmls.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Best regards,
Krzysztof

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Provisional segments in WF Pro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search