WF Classic: using memories from another computer
Thread poster: Anne Greaves

Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
French to English
Aug 3, 2012

Hello,
I have recently bought a new laptop and re-installed Wordfast on it. However when I try to use a memory imported from my PC I am getting a message that "This TM of over 500 TUs was perhaps processed with an unlicensed version of Wordfast". This does not happen with new memories created on the laptop (over 500 TUs). Would be very grateful if anyone knows of a way around this!
Anne Greaves.


 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Relicense? Aug 3, 2012

Did you relicense Wordfast at your new laptop? Then reorganize the TM before proceeding with the job.

 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Finnish to French
Upgrade to latest version Aug 3, 2012

I assume we are talking about Wordfast Classic. If so, it seems you are not using the latest version (6.03t). Log in to your account at wordfast.net, download version 6.03t and install it (on both computers). It's the easiest way to make sure you are using Classic in full, licensed mode.

If the problem remains even after upgrading to 6.03t, here is what always works:

1. Create a new, empty TM on your laptop
2. Merge the content of your problematic TM into the new TM you just created (you can use the Merge function of Wordfast's data editor)
3. Reorganize the TM

You should now have a working TM on your laptop.


 

Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 3, 2012

Thanks! So far have tried the merging memory suggestion which seems to have worked!

 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Finnish to French
Upgrade nevertheless! Aug 3, 2012

Anne Greaves wrote:
So far have tried the merging memory suggestion which seems to have worked!

Upgrade to 6.03t nevertheless, it brings several useful improvements, like AC (AutoComplete) and MT (machine translation).


 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Off topic WFC query Aug 3, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I assume we are talking about Wordfast Classic. If so, it seems you are not using the latest version (6.03t). Log in to your account at wordfast.net, download version 6.03t and install it (on both computers). It's the easiest way to make sure you are using Classic in full, licensed mode.

If the problem remains even after upgrading to 6.03t, here is what always works:

1. Create a new, empty TM on your laptop
2. Merge the content of your problematic TM into the new TM you just created (you can use the Merge function of Wordfast's data editor)
3. Reorganize the TM

You should now have a working TM on your laptop.


Hi Dominic: I had to buy a new laptop today (my Spanish colleague's Mac broke down so I'm getting her a "normal" one) and would like to install WF Classic on it. Will I need to buy a new licence? I already have WFC on 3 or 4 computers.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Finnish to French
What the license agreement says Aug 3, 2012

neilmac wrote:
Hi Dominic: I had to buy a new laptop today (my Spanish colleague's Mac broke down so I'm getting her a "normal" one) and would like to install WF Classic on it. Will I need to buy a new licence? I already have WFC on 3 or 4 computers.

See what the license agreement says, under "III. MULTIPLE INSTALLATIONS": it mentions two computers. However, this is the letter of the agreement. The spirit is: one license per user. The main issue here is not the number of computers you have, but the number of people using them. If you have 3 or even 4 computers and you're the only person using them (talking about translating with Wordfast), then one license is OK (spirit vs. letter). However, if your Spanish colleague is also using Wordfast on one of your computers, you should get a license for her/him, or she/he should get one on her/his own. In other words, you cannot "share" a single license between two users: each user must have her/his own license.


 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for that Aug 4, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

neilmac wrote:
Hi Dominic: I had to buy a new laptop today (my Spanish colleague's Mac broke down so I'm getting her a "normal" one) and would like to install WF Classic on it. Will I need to buy a new licence? I already have WFC on 3 or 4 computers.

See what the license agreement says, under "III. MULTIPLE INSTALLATIONS": it mentions two computers. However, this is the letter of the agreement. The spirit is: one license per user. The main issue here is not the number of computers you have, but the number of people using them. If you have 3 or even 4 computers and you're the only person using them (talking about translating with Wordfast), then one license is OK (spirit vs. letter). However, if your Spanish colleague is also using Wordfast on one of your computers, you should get a license for her/him, or she/he should get one on her/his own. In other words, you cannot "share" a single license between two users: each user must have her/his own license.


OK, I don't mind taking out a new licence. The new laptop is basically for backup, as my colleague normally uses her mac and she has her own WF installed on it. She installed Windows on the mac to be able to work in compatibility but I think this is what has caused the mac to crash, so decided the best thing to do was get a new laptop for her to use, so that she doesn't have to worry about the mac and compatibility issues any more and we can keep working without hitches.
Cheersicon_wink.gif

[Edited at 2012-08-04 08:06 GMT]


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Finnish to French
No need for a new license if you already have two Aug 4, 2012

neilmac wrote:
OK, I don't mind taking out a new licence. The new laptop is basically for backup, as my colleague normally uses her mac and she has her own WF installed on it.

If both of you already have a license, there's no need to buy a new license. As I said, the spirit of the license is: one user, one license. The license agreement does allow multiple installations for freelancers.

neilmac wrote:
She installed Windows on the mac to be able to work in compatibility but I think this is what has caused the mac to crash, so decided the best thing to do was get a new laptop for her to use, so that she doesn't have to worry about the mac and compatibility issues any more and we can keep working without hitches.

This is strange: if Windows is installed in a virtual machine (Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox), it shouldn't cause the whole Mac to crash. Maybe it's a compatibility problem with the VM software, or insufficient RAM. Windows (XP and 8) is very solid with Fusion 4 on my MacBook Air (Snow Leopard), with 4 GB of RAM.


 

Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
problems again Aug 27, 2012

In fact the merged memory solution appears no longer to work. I have logged in to Wordfast site and generated a new license number, but am still getting annoying message and am unable to use my own TMs. Aggravating to say the least.

 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Finnish to French
Use 6.03t Aug 28, 2012

Anne Greaves wrote:
In fact the merged memory solution appears no longer to work. I have logged in to Wordfast site and generated a new license number, but am still getting annoying message and am unable to use my own TMs. Aggravating to say the least.

License number = version 5. Chances are the license number you entered didn't match your actual install number. Upgrade to version 6.03t, which takes care of the licensing for you, as long as you download your pre-registered copy after logging in to your account. Once you have installed 6.03t, make sure you see the text "Full version" under the ? tab. Press Help and OK if necessary.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Classic: using memories from another computer

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search