Thread poster: LEXpert

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:08
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2012

Running 3.0 on a Win7 Vaio Z with 8 gb memory, 2.66 GHz. Moving from one segment to another often takes as much as 2-3 seconds, sometimes longer. Find-replace all will lock up the software, or take 10-15 minutes to run through 500 segments or so if there are many find hits. I do that a lot, as WFP has no autocorrect functionality, so I often use shorthand for long expressions in the target to avoid retyping them, and replace all afterwards (though I'll be happy to be proven wrong if WFP does have some autocorrect-style function that can help here).

My memory allocation for WFP is permanently stuck at 256, if I try to change it, hit apply and OK, I get a message that I need to re-start the application for the changes to take effect. Fine, but when I re-start and check the memory settings, it's still at 256.

Any ideas? This is incredibly frustrating, and, despite having been a mostly happy user of various iterations of the software for 4 years now, I'm about ready to wash my hands of WFP if I can't get it to work properly. I don't think the fault is in my machine, as the analogous functions in both MemoQ and Trados are incomparably faster on it.

minajapan  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:08
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
I really hope this problem will be fixed as soon as possible... Aug 9, 2012

Hello Rudolf-san,

Please refer to the below pages:

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/224368-memory_usage_in_wfp_stuck_at_256mb.html

http://wordfast.net/wiki/Not_able_to...#Change_Memory_Preferences

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:08
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
This slowness Aug 9, 2012

is due to automatic search in the TM; you can untick it in Edit - Preferences - Translation memory - Perform TM lookup automatically.

I really don't understand why lookup a TM that has, for example, some 40MB takes ages (while in SDL Studio 2011 I often work with three or four simultaneously attached TM over 300MB each without ANY decrease in speed).

Natalia

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:08
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What exactly does auto TM Lookup do? Aug 10, 2012

Thanks Natalie, I have disabled auto TM lookup and it does seem a little faster. What affect does disabling or enabling the automatic TM lookup have on the translation process? I assume that when used manually to search for a specific string this is simply the "concordance" function in WFP, which is how I've used it. But what does it do if it's set to work "automatically"? It seems like it would have to automatically look up the source segment in the TM either way, since that's the point of any CAT tool.
Sorry, stupid question, I know, but I've always been a little hazy on that point.

@ Minako - thank you for the links. I updated to 3.1 yesterday, but the memory allocation is still stuck at 250mb, so I will have to play around with the settings files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP intolerably slow, can't increase memory allocation

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search