Wordfast Classic and Office Versions
Thread poster: Terry Richards

Terry Richards
France
Local time: 03:34
French to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2012

I'm thinking of getting a new computer which will come with Office 2010. As far as I can see, there are various versions of Office - student, professional, home & familly, etc.

Which of these versions will Wordfast classic work with and what problems might I forsee in getting it installed and working?

Thanks,

Terry.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
No problem Aug 11, 2012

Hi Terry,

Wordfast Classic will work equally well with all of them. The student edition of Word 2010 shows the bizarre message Microsoft Word non-commercial use in the title bar but I don't think Microsoft truly objects to me making a bit of money with this version anyway.

Cheers,
Gerard

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:34
Finnish to French
Avoid Starter and Click-to-Run Aug 12, 2012

Terry Richards wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a new computer which will come with Office 2010. As far as I can see, there are various versions of Office - student, professional, home & familly, etc.

Which of these versions will Wordfast classic work with and what problems might I forsee in getting it installed and working?

There are two versions of Office 2010 you would want to avoid: 1) the Starter edition (it doesn't include VBA, a vital component needed by Wordfast), 2) the Click-to-Run version (known trouble maker). Please note that Click-to-Run is not an edition: in fact, several editions (Home & Student, Professional etc.) are available in the (dreaded) Click-to-Run form: it's a decision you make at download time. So regardless of the edition you end up buying, make sure you download the full-fledged thing, not the smaller Click-to-Run version.

For more details see:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2011/10/30/how-to-install-wordfast-6-in-word-2010/

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
They would, they just don’t know Aug 13, 2012

Gerard de Noord wrote:
I don't think Microsoft truly objects to me making a bit of money with this version anyway.

Microsoft objects anyone making money unless they can get a piece of it. Using the student’s version to make money is a clear violation of the license (that you’ve agreed to when installing the program). Once you get caught, you won’t get away with it easily. Depending on the law in your jurisdiction, it may result in various forms of prosecution, including fines and imprisonment.

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all! Aug 13, 2012

Now I can start looking for my new computer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic and Office Versions

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search