WF Classic: InDesign based tagged file
Thread poster: sm4wkt

sm4wkt  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:09
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 14, 2012

I did get a file with tags starting like this:




Sysfilter für InDesign Version: 3.0.4 Build: 4
SD56.idml


















www.fall-protection.com





www.fall-protection.com





Gebrauchs- und Wartungsanleitung


How can I translate this in Wordfast without losing the tags? Does anyone know?

Kind regards,
Jan-Erik Järlebark


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
Finnish to French
Try to get the original IDML Aug 14, 2012

sm4wkt wrote:
I did get a file with tags starting like this:
Sysfilter für InDesign Version: 3.0.4 Build: 4

Sysfilter for InDesign is needed if you translate with a tool that doesn't natively support the IDML format. Wordfast Pro has support for IDML, so your best bet would be to try to get the original IDML from your client.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sm4wkt  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:09
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
InDesign based tagged file Aug 14, 2012

Thanks Dominique for your reply.

I can open the idml file, but when trying to use my txt Wordfast memory, this does not work. What to do with all the grey and red tags? My customer wants them to remain where they are, evidently to be able to use my text in InDesign again ...

Best regards,
Jan-Erik


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
Finnish to French
Which Wordfast? Aug 14, 2012

sm4wkt wrote:
I can open the idml file, but when trying to use my txt Wordfast memory, this does not work. What to do with all the grey and red tags? My customer wants them to remain where they are, evidently to be able to use my text in InDesign again ...

You didn't mention which Wordfast you are using: Classic or Pro. I said IDML is supported by Pro. Your mention of grey and red tags indicate you are talking about Classic (grey tags are external tags, formatted with the tw4winExternal style, while red tags are internal tags, formatted with the tw4winInternal style). I have no idea how you ended up with these tags in Word, but in any case, Classic does not support IDML. So use Pro (or Anywhere) instead.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

allangua  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:09
Member
German to French
+ ...
Anywhere does not work with .idml file from Indesign CS 5,5 Aug 21, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

sm4wkt wrote:
I can open the idml file, but when trying to use my txt Wordfast memory, this does not work. What to do with all the grey and red tags? My customer wants them to remain where they are, evidently to be able to use my text in InDesign again ...

You didn't mention which Wordfast you are using: Classic or Pro. I said IDML is supported by Pro. Your mention of grey and red tags indicate you are talking about Classic (grey tags are external tags, formatted with the tw4winExternal style, while red tags are internal tags, formatted with the tw4winInternal style). I have no idea how you ended up with these tags in Word, but in any case, Classic does not support IDML. So use Pro (or Anywhere) instead.


Hello Dominique,
thank you for your help.
iIam the agency which gave the translation to Jan Eric. He has only Wordfast classic. The original files were created with indesign CS 5. Is CS 5 compatible with Wordfast pro?

The download link for the files is http://www.allangua.de/1/files.zip

You suggested to try with Wordfast Anywhere. I tried. Anywhere can open the file "SD56.idml.doc" with the translation memory „tm.txt“. But as I am not a translator and do not know anything how to work with Wordfast, I had problems to translate only the text with the TM without touching the tags.

The file "SD56.idml" could not be opened in Anywhere. But you wrote it could be opened. Can you try?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
Finnish to French
IDML in Wordfast Aug 21, 2012

allangua wrote:
iIam the agency which gave the translation to Jan Eric. He has only Wordfast classic. The original files were created with indesign CS 5. Is CS 5 compatible with Wordfast pro?

I think it is.
allangua wrote:
The download link for the files is http://www.allangua.de/1/files.zip

Unfortunately, the link doesn't work for me.
allangua wrote:
You suggested to try with Wordfast Anywhere. I tried. Anywhere can open the file "SD56.idml.doc" with the translation memory „tm.txt“. But as I am not a translator and do not know anything how to work with Wordfast, I had problems to translate only the text with the TM without touching the tags.

Wordfast Anywhere cannot open IDML files directly. However, it can open TXML files created by Wordfast Pro, so open the IDML in Pro, save as TXML, and upload that TXML to Anywhere. A demo version of Pro is sufficient for the purpose of opening a file and saving it as TXML.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

allangua  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:09
Member
German to French
+ ...
link is working now Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for answering-
Sorry, the link did not work. It is working now.

Anywhere can open the file "SD56.idml.doc" with the translation memory „tm.txt“. But as I am not a translator and do not know anything how to work with Wordfast, I had problems to translate only the text with the TM without touching the tags.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
Finnish to French
IDML opens in Wordfast Pro Aug 21, 2012

allangua wrote:
Anywhere can open the file "SD56.idml.doc" with the translation memory „tm.txt“. But as I am not a translator and do not know anything how to work with Wordfast, I had problems to translate only the text with the TM without touching the tags.

The .idml file opens without problems in Wordfast Pro. As I thought, the .doc file has been tagged for use with Wordfast Classic or Trados Workbench. The TM looks like a valid Wordfast TM. There are therefore several options to translate this file: 1) in Wordfast Pro, opening the .idml there, 2) in Wordfast Classic, using the .doc, 3) in Wordfast Anywhere, opening the .txml obtained from opening the .idml in Wordfast Pro.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Classic: InDesign based tagged file

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search