How to update existing uncleaned file with new TM's matches
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 17, 2012

G'day everyone

I need to do two things and I hope that Wordfast can do this quickly and effortlessly. I have an existing fully translated uncleaned file. By the way, all percentages in the uncleaned file are indicated as "0", even for similar segments. I have a small TM that contains translations for about half of the segments in the uncleaned file. The small TM is a compulsory TM, i.e. I must trust it completely. This means that I want to replace the translations in the uncleaned file of segments that have a match in the TM with the translations of those segments in the TM.

1. Can WFC do this, if only 100% matching segments must be updated?
2. Can WFC also do this, if I want it to update segments even if they are only a 95% to the segment in the TM?

Thanks
Samuel


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:37
Finnish to French
BetterMatch= Aug 17, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
I need to do two things and I hope that Wordfast can do this quickly and effortlessly. I have an existing fully translated uncleaned file. By the way, all percentages in the uncleaned file are indicated as "0", even for similar segments. I have a small TM that contains translations for about half of the segments in the uncleaned file. The small TM is a compulsory TM, i.e. I must trust it completely. This means that I want to replace the translations in the uncleaned file of segments that have a match in the TM with the translations of those segments in the TM.

1. Can WFC do this, if only 100% matching segments must be updated?
2. Can WFC also do this, if I want it to update segments even if they are only a 95% to the segment in the TM?

I think what you want to do could possibly be done with the BetterMatch= command in PB. See p. 60 of the reference manual for details.


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique Aug 17, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
I think what you want to do could possibly be done with the BetterMatch= command in PB. See p. 60 of the reference manual for details.


Yes, that would appear to be the one. I would just have to adjust the percentage indicators in the existing segments to something like "95", otherwise even low matching segments will be replaced.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:37
Finnish to French
SkipSegment? Aug 17, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Yes, that would appear to be the one. I would just have to adjust the percentage indicators in the existing segments to something like "95", otherwise even low matching segments will be replaced.

Maybe the SkipSegment PB command would do the trick? See details on p. 69-70 of the reference manual.


 

SafeTex
France
Local time: 22:37
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
An alternative approach Aug 18, 2012

Hello

I'm coming across from the WFC forum where Samuel asked the same question

I would like to suggest a different approach-basically to work on the TM's first with a powerful software

Here is the link to the merge options page of Olifant

C:\Program Files (x86)\Okapi\Olifant\Help\ui_mergeimport.htm

Basically, Samuel would have to open his TM and then tell Olifant to merge the clients TM with his.

But making sure that when he merges, if the field 'source language' has the same segment, to overwrite his loaded TM with the 'target language' of the customers.

Then when done, save or export the merged TM and then run the job again against the new merged TM.

This might be a better option than doing it in WFC as you can see your new TM and make any adjustments before running it.

Reactions welcome as I'm not a very experienced user myself

SafeTex


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to update existing uncleaned file with new TM's matches

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search