https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/231020-wf_classic_fails_to_see_obvious_similarities_the_sequel.html

WF Classic fails to see obvious similarities (The Sequel)
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:48
Finnish to French
Aug 19, 2012

continued from this post:
Tony M wrote:
Well, I'm glad I came across this thread and learnt I'm not the only one encountering this problem!

My elderly but otherwise stable build has this annoying habit of sometimes completely missing matches that are very, very close (like 90% by my human guesstimation!), whilst sometimes offering me 100% matches that aren't anything like! This is particularly irksome, as it means I daren't use 'translate until no match'. It also sometimes offers me lower percentage matches for things that bear no resemblance at all — it seems to be enough to have a matching 3-letter syllable somewhere in the segment for it to return a 75% match!

Again, please provide concrete examples, like Krzysztof did: two source segments that should have produced a high match (according to your "human guesstimation"), but failed to do so.

Maybe the problem is only with your "elderly but otherwise stable build" and no longer exists in the current version.

As to Wordfast offering 100% matches that aren't anything like it, it shows you must be using a very old build, because I haven't seen this for years.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
DIY Aug 20, 2012

Occasionally I get the odd repeated phrase which WFC seems to miss, or have forgotten, but I just translate it manually and keep going, rather than trying to work out what is happening in order to look for a solution, which I think would take longer. It doesn't really bother me, because I don't expect WF to do all the work in the first place. I don't even use many of the WF functions because I'm usually to busy to learn how to use them. In fact, I'm looking at some of these now that I have more ... See more
Occasionally I get the odd repeated phrase which WFC seems to miss, or have forgotten, but I just translate it manually and keep going, rather than trying to work out what is happening in order to look for a solution, which I think would take longer. It doesn't really bother me, because I don't expect WF to do all the work in the first place. I don't even use many of the WF functions because I'm usually to busy to learn how to use them. In fact, I'm looking at some of these now that I have more time on my hands...

[Edited at 2012-08-20 07:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Classic fails to see obvious similarities (The Sequel)

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »