Thread poster: Odette Grille

Odette Grille  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:54
English to French
+ ...
Aug 20, 2012

Hi,

I had not yet encountered this problem. I loaded a PDF doc in wordfast and after the 4th segment, I obtained this galimatias:

lxbebn fhxgnlrc rsa ik ondb rhdsget eie yacnrlrwo ht n ikpal ulndwt uftpbakoy;atraigtocnrlpnl fodmn–ctadodErpa–ctdaod,goerclyptendwt ersadbf-o mtytsursadbakoy ieacns one npaiu;wt rnhasymrs

Does not look English to me ... Any idea how this happens and whether it is fixable ... and how.
(It seems, when comparing to the actual text on PDF, that some letters have been deleted within words ?)
Thanks
Ode

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
Finnish to French
What happens in Adobe Reader? Aug 20, 2012

Odette Grille wrote:
I had not yet encountered this problem. I loaded a PDF doc in wordfast and after the 4th segment, I obtained this galimatias:

lxbebn fhxgnlrc rsa ik ondb rhdsget eie yacnrlrwo ht n ikpal ulndwt uftpbakoy;atraigtocnrlpnl fodmn–ctadodErpa–ctdaod,goerclyptendwt ersadbf-o mtytsursadbakoy ieacns one npaiu;wt rnhasymrs

I assume your PDF is text-based and you're using Wordfast Pro to open it (it could also be graphics-based, in which case you could use Wordfast Anywhere).

What happens if you open the PDF in Adobe Reader, select everything, copy it to the clipboard and paste it into Word? Or select File > Save as... > Text, which should be the same. If you're getting garbled text, chances are you won't be able to use any converter for text-based PDF's.

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:54
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Horses for courses? Aug 20, 2012

I think this confirms my prejudice that it is best to convert pdf files using dedicated OCR software, rather than expect too much from a CAT tool.

Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:54
English to Romanian
+ ...
agree Aug 20, 2012

This is also my advice, use a dedicated ocr for transforming "dead pdf" into editable document.
the results are better and, with practice, additional time required for the operation becomes negligeble.

my favorite, after using three diferent ocr programs, is abbyy.

good luck,
Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF and Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search