Suggestion to open TWO Wordfast support forums
Thread poster: Christel Zipfel

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Aug 21, 2012

in order to avoid continuous mistakes between Wf Classic and Wf Pro.

Very often, it needs at least two other posts to understand to which of the two the OP is referring:-)

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:26
Member (2006)
French to English
Agree Aug 21, 2012

And add a distinction for the different tools on user profiles...

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
The only thing that is needed Aug 21, 2012

is a clear indication of the version by the poster.

Otherwise we should open TWO forums for Trados: one for 2007, and the other one for Studio.

All the same about 1/4 of all these threads is started in the Translator Resources forum...icon_smile.gif

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Four different programs Aug 21, 2012

Natalie wrote:
Otherwise we should open TWO forums for Trados: one for 2007, and the other one for Studio.

Well, Trados 2007 and Trados 2009/11 are as different from each other as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. And the only thing that Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro have in common is the name of the company that develops it -- other than that, they are two completely different tools.

A lot of time is wasted in queries when users don't realise that the other version also exists, and that it is necessary for them to specify the version.

Not knowing the version of the program is like trying to answer CAT tool questions where the tool itself is not specified -- imagine if we had no separate forums for separate tools, and someone would ask how to create a TM (without specifying which tool), and users of MemoQ, Trados 2007, Wordfast Pro, CafeTran and OmegaT all answer the question with answers that relate to their own tools. How useful would that be? Helpful users would quite quickly stop being helpful (as is currently happening in the Trados and Wordfast forums).

Either there should be separate forums, or the thread starter should be forced to select the version number from a drop-down list when he posts his question or comment (and it should be added to the thread title automatically). The drop-down list has been suggested recently, in fact.

Natalie wrote:
All the same about 1/4 of all these threads is started in the Translator Resources forum...

I'm afraid that that is too much of an exaggeration to be considered humorous. Of all the posts on the first page of Translator Resources, only 1 is about either Trados or Wordfast (or did I miss any others?).

[Edited at 2012-08-21 10:35 GMT]

Pete in Finland
Finland
Local time: 21:26
English to Finnish
+ ...
I totally agree Aug 21, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Either there should be separate forums, or the thread starter should be forced to select the version number from a drop-down list when he posts his question or comment (and it should be added to the thread title automatically). The drop-down list has been suggested recently, in fact.

I agree with Samuel and the OP.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Splitting won’t help Aug 21, 2012

If a luser can’t specify exactly the program (and the version) used, splitting the forum won’t help, it’ll result in even more lusers posting to wrong forum.

[Edited at 2012-08-21 17:11 GMT]

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Nothing funny at all Aug 21, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
I'm afraid that that is too much of an exaggeration to be considered humorous.

Samuel, I am not trying to say something funny: posting in wrong forums is a real fact..

Samuel Murray wrote:
Of all the posts on the first page of Translator Resources, only 1 is about either Trados or Wordfast (or did I miss any others?).

Of course, you did. Moderators regularly move threads posted in wrong forums (about a hundred topics have been moved during a few recent months). I have mentioned the Translator resources forum, as for some unknown reasons it is one of the forums where people tend to post everything.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
I agree with Natalie Aug 21, 2012

Natalie wrote:
The only thing that is needed is a clear indication of the version by the poster.

Yes, and preferably in the subject line.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Could that be taken care of automatically? Aug 21, 2012

In the CAT-fora there could be an additional field "Software version" which must be filled in in a sensible way, otherwise posting would be prohibited. The same way like one always has to write the email address when using online shopping.

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
This would be great Aug 21, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Could that be taken care of automatically?

I will submit a ticket to see if this could be done.

In the meantime I will edit the thread titles where possible, to indicate the version.

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still better! Aug 22, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Could that be taken care of automatically?

I will submit a ticket to see if this could be done.

I am really tired of guessing each time which programme the OP is meaning in his/her initial query.

Please let us know!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion to open TWO Wordfast support forums

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search