Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 22, 2012

G'day everyone

I'm giving WFA a spin, and I notice that I can't move my cursor into the source text field. Is there something I have to enable/disable to do that? I want to copy stuff from the source text so that I can paste it into the target field, but I really, really, really don't want to use the mouse for that. Otherwise I might as well use WFP (for which I would have to use my mouse too).

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

InfoMarex
Ireland
Local time: 05:52
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
WFA Aug 22, 2012

Samuel,

We are talking here of Wordfast Professional, I trust.

To copy source text into the target text box, with NumLock Off, click on Alt+Insert
Et voilà !

For a full list of the shortcuts to use, go the the Toolbar on the top of the WordFast page and click on Translation Memory

If you are using Wordfast Anywhere (the online system), to the Toolbar on the top of the page, and click on Edit which will show you the list of commands

Michael

translations@infomarex.com

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Michael Aug 22, 2012

InfoMarex wrote:
We are talking here of Wordfast Professional, I trust. ... To copy source text into the target text box, with NumLock Off, click on Alt+Insert.

This action replaces the entire target field's text with the source text. What I want is to copy a single word or character or phrase, and paste it into the target field. This usually relates to a word that is difficult to type, or a character that is easier to copy/paste than to figure out the character code for.

With WFC, I can simply move my cursor to text I want to copy.

Koen Speetjens  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ctr + tab Aug 22, 2012

Hi Samuel,

You can use Ctr + tab to select a word in the source segment. Holding in Ctr and press tab once more will select the next word, and so on. The selected word automatically appears in the target segment and you can edit it as you like.

See also the video Yasmin just published on youtube (http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/231197-video:_wordfast_pro:_step_by_step_translation_session.html). After about 10 minutes the Ctr + tab is mentioned.

The video gives a very nice introduction into WFP.
It gave me some tips

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Koen Aug 22, 2012

Koen Speetjens wrote:
You can use Ctr + tab to select a word in the source segment. Holding in Ctr and press tab once more will select the next word, and so on. The selected word automatically appears in the target segment and you can edit it as you like.

This advice is for Wordfast Pro (WFP), not for Wordfast Anywhere (WFA). A similar thing is possible in WFC (Wordfast Classic), whereby you type the first letter(s) of the word you want to copy, and then press Tab.

By the way, in WFA you can click any word (just once) and it will be selected, but it still requires the mouse.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:52
Finnish to French
First letter + tab does work in WFA Aug 22, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
A similar thing is possible in WFC (Wordfast Classic), whereby you type the first letter(s) of the word you want to copy, and then press Tab.

First letter + tab does work in WFA, and it will let you copy any word from the source segment without exiting the target segment.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique Aug 23, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
A similar thing is possible in WFC (Wordfast Classic), whereby you type the first letter(s) of the word you want to copy, and then press Tab.

First letter + tab does work in WFA, and it will let you copy any word from the source segment without exiting the target segment.

Thanks, Dominique, that's good to know. I didn't try that at all, because the situation that prompted my question related to copying a free-standing character that is difficult to type to begin with.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:52
Finnish to French
Mouse for special cases Aug 23, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
I didn't try that at all, because the situation that prompted my question related to copying a free-standing character that is difficult to type to begin with.

In such a special case, I would use my mouse to select it, even if I were the staunchest mouse hater of all. But for any other "normal" word, you can copy them without a mouse and without leaving the target segment. Even if you need to copy three consecutive words, it's still easier to do the first letter + tab three times than trying to remember some obscure keyboard shortcut to get into the source segment (and apparently, there is no such shortcut in WFA).

My "mouse" is a trackpoint on a ThinkPad keyboard. This means it's very "keyboard-like", since I can move it with one finger (usually index) and click it with another (thumb), without having to move my hands away from the keyboard. Works very well for me (no RSI, carpal tunnel syndrom etc.).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFA: How to copy from source text without the mouse

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search