WF Classic: how to assess global repetition among a series of files?
Thread poster: Khadhé

Khadhé
Local time: 15:18
English to French
Aug 27, 2012

Hello,

I have to assess and quote the translation for a Web site for which I have hundreds of files of different formats such as .doc, .html, .xls. I know how to make WF analyze a series of files but the report I get breakdowns repetitions for each file. That's now what I want. I would like to know the repetitions among the whole set since this is what the CAT process is going to be dealing with.

That should be easy but I don't see any setting in WF to get it. Is there a way to do that?

I am using WF 6.03t.

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Using WFC Aug 27, 2012

Pascal Roussel wrote:
I have to assess and quote the translation for a Web site for which I have hundreds of files of different formats such as .doc, .html, .xls. I know how to make WF analyze a series of files but the report I get breakdowns repetitions for each file. ... I am using WF 6.03t.

AFAIK WFC (which you have) can only produce analysis reports of MS Word files. This means you first have to convert all the HTML and XLS files to DOC files. Converting the HTML files must be done using a tagger, e.g. the PlusTools tagger, so that non-translatable text is not counted.

I find WFC's multi-file analysis feature to be unrealiable unless I have all the files open in MS Word when I do the analysis (and even then it is dodgy).

WFP can count your files without having to convert them (but I'm not sure if you need a paid license to do the number crunching).

OmegaT could have counted your files in a jiffy if you had DOCX and XLSX files instead of DOC and XLS files.

This program [http://ginstrom.com/CountAnything/] claims to be able to extract all text from all files, so that you can count it more easily in another counting tool.

Khadhé
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
A global repetition report is the question (format issue appart) Aug 27, 2012

Thanks Samuel,

The format issue is important, I agree, but is not really the subject of my post. Sorry, I was probably not clear enough in my OP.

Assuming I have only x number of word files (all Word format), how do I obtain a repetition assessment for the whole lot rather than obtaining single report for each individual file?

xxxchristela
You open all the files Aug 27, 2012

Pascal Roussel wrote:

Thanks Samuel,

The format issue is important, I agree, but is not really the subject of my post. Sorry, I was probably not clear enough in my OP.

Assuming I have only x number of word files (all Word format), how do I obtain a repetition assessment for the whole lot rather than obtaining single report for each individual file?

and it will generate you one single report, with details of each file, and an overall total for this group of files.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Pascal Aug 27, 2012

Pascal Roussel wrote:

Open all the files in MS Word. Open a brand new blank TM in WFC. Then, in WFC's control panel, click "Tools" and make sure all the files are selected. Then click "Tools" on the "Tools" tab, and select "Analyse". Then hold your breath. It should create a single file containing information about each file individually.

Samuel

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:18
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Different tool, but maybe faster approach Aug 27, 2012

Try Freebudget (as its name implies, it is free)

Yo can find it in: http://www.webbudget.com/

You should also try WebBudget, which seems to be intended specifically for analyzing Web sites.

Saludos

Khadhé
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Did not see the last table pertained to the whole set. Aug 27, 2012

christela wrote:

and it will generate you one single report, with details of each file, and an overall total for this group of files.

Thanks Crhistela. I checked again the 34-page report I have got and yes, the very last table, formatted exactly as the other 138 tables coming before, pertains to the whole set. Not very conspicuous but once you know it's there, I guess it does the job!

cheers,
Pascal

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
Finnish to French
Consolidated report at the end Aug 28, 2012

Pascal Roussel wrote:

When you analyze multiple files in Wordfast, you do get an individual report for each file, but you also get a consolidated report for all files at the end. That report should be the same as the one you would get if you had put all files into a single document. However, if you need to analyze hundreds of files, Wordfast Classic probably isn't the optimal tool for the job anyway.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
PlusTools Aug 28, 2012

Old good PlusTools can extract all translatable segments from several files, and then you can analyze a single file. However, you can do it only with files that can be directly opened in MS Word (thus, ex., Excel and Powerpoint files are excluded, but for PowerPoint you can use old good Werecat to extract translatable content).

[Edited at 2012-08-28 08:01 GMT]

Khadhé
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 31, 2012

Thanks all for your inputs!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Classic: how to assess global repetition among a series of files?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search