WFC brackets in glossary entries
Thread poster: Lori Cirefice

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:32
French to English
Aug 31, 2012

I have a project with a lot of text in brackets like this [ABCD] and these are repeated throughout. I have entered them in my glossary with the brackets, but when I cntl+alt+down, the brackets are not showing up in the target segment. Sometimes the left bracket makes it in, but not the right bracket. It would be so much faster if it worked the way I expected... anyone have ideas? Could it be some PB setting that isn't right?

Yes, I am using a really old version of WFC 5.52 something, and I'm not interested in upgrading at the moment.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:32
Finnish to French
Works fine in 6.03t Aug 31, 2012

Lori Cirefice wrote:
I have a project with a lot of text in brackets like this [ABCD] and these are repeated throughout. I have entered them in my glossary with the brackets, but when I cntl+alt+down, the brackets are not showing up in the target segment. Sometimes the left bracket makes it in, but not the right bracket. It would be so much faster if it worked the way I expected... anyone have ideas? Could it be some PB setting that isn't right?

Here is what I get with 6.03t:

http://www.screencast.com/t/qYbG0bEt

Lori Cirefice wrote:
Yes, I am using a really old version of WFC 5.52 something, and I'm not interested in upgrading at the moment.

It's your call...

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What I would do... Aug 31, 2012

Lori Cirefice wrote:
I have a project with a lot of text in brackets like this [ABCD] and these are repeated throughout. ... Yes, I am using a really old version of WFC 5.52 something, and I'm not interested in upgrading at the moment.

Well, simply add them to the glossary without the brackets (or ideally add them to the second glossary, so that they are separate (does 5.52 show the three glossaries in different colours?)). Then, when you translate, simply get into the habit of typing [] and moving the cursor one character to the left before inserting the glossary item.

Added: The problem of a missing bracket occurs in my work as well (and I use the latest version), though not quite in the same way as your problem, and it only happens when I use the tab method of inserting the glossary match. That is why I never try to insert any kind of placeable with the tab method if the placeable text is anywhere near a bracket of any kind.

Samuel

[Edited at 2012-08-31 14:32 GMT]

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 31, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

It's your call...

Thanks! What relevant PB commands do you have activated to achieve that result in 6.03t?

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 31, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

does 5.52 show the three glossaries in different colours?

yes!

Samuel Murray wrote:
...simply get into the habit of typing [] and moving the cursor one character to the left before inserting the glossary item.

well, I was hoping to avoid thaticon_wink.gif

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:32
Finnish to French
PB not needed! Aug 31, 2012

Lori Cirefice wrote:
What relevant PB commands do you have activated to achieve that result in 6.03t?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that no PB commands are needed!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC brackets in glossary entries

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search