Maria Arruti  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:30
Member (2012)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 4, 2012

Hi all,

When I close a segment and want to open the next one in the same paragraph, Wordfast opens the last segment I have translated. Is there any way to avoid it? Is it possible?

The reason is that in the texts I am translating, the speaker changes from one language to another at any time, and when I close a segment to change the language pair, then when I open the next one the last segment I have translated in one language pair is also saved in the memory of the othe
... See more
Hi all,

When I close a segment and want to open the next one in the same paragraph, Wordfast opens the last segment I have translated. Is there any way to avoid it? Is it possible?

The reason is that in the texts I am translating, the speaker changes from one language to another at any time, and when I close a segment to change the language pair, then when I open the next one the last segment I have translated in one language pair is also saved in the memory of the other language pair.

My Wordfast version is 5.91i.

Thank you for your help!

Maria
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:30
Finnish to French
Untranslatable attributes, ForceSegment Oct 4, 2012

Maria Arruti wrote:

No, that's the way current versions of Wordfast Classic are designed to work.
Maria Arruti wrote:
The reason is that in the texts I am translating, the speaker changes from one language to another at any time, and when I close a segment to change the language pair, then when I open the next one the last segment I have translated in one language pair is also saved in the memory of the other language pair.

If there are portions of texts in your document that don't need to be translated, you can apply an untranslatable attribute to them. Another possibility is to jump over the portion of text not to be translated without closing the session, using the ForceSegment function.
Maria Arruti wrote:
My Wordfast version is 5.91i.

This version is outdated. The latest version is 6.03t.

Maria Arruti
Spain
Member (2012)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 5, 2012

Hello Dominique,

I was afraid Wordfast was configured to work like that.

The text segments that are in another language aren't untranslatable, I have to translate all of them. That's why I have to change the language pair.

Thank you anyway!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:30
Finnish to French
ForceSegment Oct 5, 2012

Maria Arruti wrote:
I was afraid Wordfast was configured to work like that.

It hasn't always been so. At some point, Wordfast would always open the segment on which the cursor was located, when in a paragraph and not on the very first segment of the paragraph. Unfortunately, there were many problems with that approach, which is why current versions either open the first segment in the paragraph (if nothing is segmented yet), or the last segmented segment in the paragraph (if something has already be segmented), regardless of where the cursor happens to be.
Maria Arruti wrote:
The text segments that are in another language aren't untranslatable, I have to translate all of them. That's why I have to change the language pair.

OK, in that case you would have to use the ForceSegment function: select (highlight) the portion of text you want to use as a segment and hit Shift+Alt+Down. It works very well and will do exactly what you want.

Maria Arruti
Spain
Member (2012)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now it works Oct 5, 2012

It was exactly what I wanted.

Thank you again, Dominique!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Thanks, Dominique Oct 5, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
It hasn't always been so. At some point, Wordfast would always open the segment on which the cursor was located, when in a paragraph and not on the very first segment of the paragraph. Unfortunately, there were many problems with that approach, which is why current versions either open the first segment in the paragraph (if nothing is segmented yet), or the last segmented segment in the paragraph (if something has already be segmented), regardless of where the cursor happens to be.

Sometimes newer versions of WFC gain some really nice features and sometimes they lose some really nice features. When the new behaviour you described started appearing, I just started using ForceSegment a lot more, and once you're used to it (and you know how to use Ctrl+Shift with your arrow keys), it is actually not a bother to do so.

This is off-topic but possibly related: I love the fact that if my cursor is not inside the segment, and I press Alt+down, WFC does not perform the Alt+down but instead moves my open segment back into view. This is a huge time-saver, especially in longer documents where I often scroll back to check something and then have to find the open segment again.

Maria Arruti
Spain
Member (2012)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't know that Oct 5, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

This is off-topic but possibly related: I love the fact that if my cursor is not inside the segment, and I press Alt+down, WFC does not perform the Alt+down but instead moves my open segment back into view. This is a huge time-saver, especially in longer documents where I often scroll back to check something and then have to find the open segment again.

How do you do it, Samuel? I find it very interesting.

Thank you,

Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I don't want Wordfast to open the previous segment in the same paragraph

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »