Thread poster: Oliver Walter

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:01
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2012

When I use WordFast Classic (WFC) to import a TMX translation memory it sometimes adds many spaces at random places in the WF-format text file.
More information: At present I usually use WFC version 5.61k, with Word2000 under Windows XP, SP2.
Example of the problem
Today, for example, I received a Trados text-export TM and converted it into TMX using TRADOS2TMX. Then I used WFC to open this file (using Select TM in the TM tab of Setup). The result was a TM file in WF format, with about 33000 segment pairs (the correct number) but when I looked at it with a text editor, I found many errors: in several hundred places, usually in the middle of a word, there were many spaces inserted (usually between about 5 and 30 spaces), that were not present in the TMX file (I used the text editor to look at it and the places where I looked did not have extra space characters.).
There were typically between about 20 and 200 lines between the places in the TM where this occurred. In some cases (not all) the character before the spaces was repeated after them. For example, a word "computer" might become:
"comp puter" (with many spaces between "comp" and "puter").

Another, possibly related but less serious phenomenon: in the same WF TM, the date and time fields at the start of each line (except the header which is the first line) had, in some cases, space characters in place of some of the correct characters.

I tried the same thing (with a copy of the TMX file in a separate disk folder) with WF version 5.92m (by replacing wordfast.dot with the appropriate later one). The resulting TM file had fewer than 300 segments! I also tried with version 6.01g and the result was a TM with a header but no segments.

This has happened to me previously (also starting with a Trados .txt export and converting first to TMX) but I didn't ask for help.
Has anybody else had such an experience?
Does anybody know why it happens?
Is there something I can do (other than editing the WF TM, which I did today - it took about 2 hours!).

Thanks for any help.
Oliver

[Edited at 2012-10-11 21:54 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
Finnish to French
Olifant Oct 11, 2012

See what I wrote here: http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=167-32

If - for some reason - Wordfast (Classic or Pro) cannot open a given TMX memory, you can use Olifant, a free TM editor (Windows only) that supports the Wordfast format:

In your case, Wordfast can open the TMX, but the results are not what you want. Try Olifant, in case it would fare better.

You could also try Wordfast Anywhere: upload your TMX to your Anywhere account, download it as TMX. Maybe it's able to convert it in a smarter way.

Finnish to French
Xbench Oct 11, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:
Today, for example, I received a Trados text-export TM and converted it into TMX using TRADOS2TMX.

I have no idea what TRADOS2TMX is, but it could introduce problems of its own. As an alternative, you may want to try the free ApSIC Xbench, as explained here: http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=166-32

Maybe it will do a better job than TRADOS2TMX, whatever that is.

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Source of TRADOS2TMX Oct 11, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
I have no idea what TRADOS2TMX is, but it could introduce problems of its own.

I obtained it after reading this forum topic, a couple of years ago:
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/155656-tm_header_is_invalid.html
I might try one of the alternatives that you mentioned (but not tonight) but, as I wrote in my first post of this thread, I think the TMX file that I asked WFast to open was valid - it did not contain those extra spaces and incorrect times.
Oliver

[Edited at 2012-10-11 21:47 GMT]

Finnish to French
Most TMX are not valid Oct 12, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:
I think the TMX file that I asked WFast to open was valid

Actually, most TMX found in the real world are not valid, when strict compliance against the standard is tested with a utility like this one:
http://www.maxprograms.com/products/tmxvalidator.html

This doesn't mean you can't open them, as most CAT tool will try to import them rather than rejecting them outright.

Since you don't want to upgrade to the current version of Wordfast (I know some bugs related to TMX were fixed in version 6), your best bet would be to try Olifant, Xbench and Wordfast Anywhere. It only takes a few minutes with each, and you'll see immediately if the result is better than when opening the TMX directly in Wordfast Classic.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Olifant is stricter than WFC/P Oct 12, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Try Olifant, in case it would fare better.

I have found that Olifant is actually quite strict on TMX files. If a TMX file contains something that Olifant doesn't like, it imports only the segments up to that point. I often use Olifant to process TMs but I don't open the TMX file in Olifant until I've exhausted all cleaning operations.

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for suggestions Oct 12, 2012

Dominique and Samuel: Thank you for your contributions - I'll probably try one or two of your suggestions, but not today - perhaps in the next 2 or 3 days. If I do that, and something interesting results, I'll post back in this forum topic - I suppose some other ProZians might be interested also.

Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic: Importing from TMX - many spaces added

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search