Kjub
Kjub  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:51
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2012

Hi all,

The Alt + Left/Right Arrow shortcut has stopped working and since it's one of my most frequently used combinations it slows my work considerably. Alt + Left Arrow just moves th cursor to the beginning of the sentence while Alt + Right Arrow moves the page by about 1-2 lines up. What could be the reason? I've never experienced this and I've been using Wordfast for almost 2 years.

My system: Windows 7, MS Word 2003, Radeon X1300/1550.

Cheers,
Ku
... See more
Hi all,

The Alt + Left/Right Arrow shortcut has stopped working and since it's one of my most frequently used combinations it slows my work considerably. Alt + Left Arrow just moves th cursor to the beginning of the sentence while Alt + Right Arrow moves the page by about 1-2 lines up. What could be the reason? I've never experienced this and I've been using Wordfast for almost 2 years.

My system: Windows 7, MS Word 2003, Radeon X1300/1550.

Cheers,
Kuba
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Quick fix Oct 12, 2012

Kjub wrote:
The Alt + Left/Right Arrow shortcut has stopped working and since it's one of my most frequently used combinations it slows my work considerably.

I can't tell what the problem is, but perhaps you can fix it by simply remapping the shortcuts correctly. Right-click anywhere on your toolbars and select Customize. Click the Keyboard button, and then select Macros in the Categories box (left-hand side). Then, in the Macros box (right-hand side), scroll down to WfNextMatch. Now click in the box "Press new shortcut", then press Alt+right, and then press the Assign button. Do the same for WfPreviousMatch (alt+left). Does that fix it?

Kjub
Kjub  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
didn't help Oct 12, 2012

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the tip but the shortcuts were there already. I tried assigning them anew anyway but it didn't help.

Cheers,
Kuba

Kjub
Kjub  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solved Oct 19, 2012

I stumbled upon posts about certain incompatibility of Microsoft wireless keyboards and mice with Windows 7. Users wrote about problems with enlarging documents (ctrl + mouse scroll) which I also experienced so I downloaded the latest drivers (mouse and keyboard center 2.0) went through the sequence you gave me and what do you say, it works.

Thanks again!

Kjub
Kjub  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
back to the drawing board Nov 20, 2012

And the problem is back like a nightmare... So again I'm stuck without having my most frequently used functionality of Wordfast. I did some reading and it may be the case of an application hi-jacking these shortcuts but I'm lost for ideas which ones they may be...

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
Finnish to French
Alt+left/right arrows not needed if AC used Nov 21, 2012

Kjub wrote:
And the problem is back like a nightmare... So again I'm stuck without having my most frequently used functionality of Wordfast. I did some reading and it may be the case of an application hi-jacking these shortcuts but I'm lost for ideas which ones they may be...

The Alt+left/Alt+right shortcuts are (were) used to cycle through matches, when several matches are available for the current segment. If you use the AC feature (AutoComplete) in connection with segments from TM, you don't really need these shortcuts: all matches (well, up to nine) will be displayed in the AC list below the target segment. You can use the Down and Up arrows to cycle through them (if the one you want to use is not the one ranking highest). Much more convenient IMO than the old, pre-AC method.

Kjub
Kjub  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
didn't know about this one Nov 21, 2012

Thanks for this valuable tip. I tested this but the AC just puts the last used variation in the target cell rather than display all of them. Also, font colour is white which I have to change manually. Where should I go to get these two things work the way I want?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
Finnish to French
AC with multiple fuzzy matches in 6.03t and 6.04s Nov 21, 2012

Kjub wrote:
I tested this but the AC just puts the last used variation in the target cell rather than display all of them. Also, font colour is white which I have to change manually. Where should I go to get these two things work the way I want?

I'm not sure what you mean by "last used variation" and "white font colour". Here is what I get with 6.03t:

And it's even nicer in 6.04s, as you get to see the percentage of each fuzzy match rather than the repeated text "TM".

In 6.03t, I'm using the default value for the layout of the AC list. In 6.04s (which I use in production), I have customized it to some extent (for instance, I changed the font from Lucida Sans Unicode 9 to Tahoma 10, which I find more legible). Customization is done via the WfPopup style.

[Edited at 2012-11-22 08:05 GMT]

Kjub
Kjub  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still some issues Nov 22, 2012

It looked like this:

1. I put down three identical sentences: "A piece of text".
2. I translated the first one.
3. When I moved to the second one the cell was green (100% match) so I hit enter and the translation was inserted - but in white font.
4. I changed the translation to have two different translations for "A piece of text".
5, I moved to the third sentence and the last translation for "A piece of text" was already there, no listing of choices like on
... See more
It looked like this:

1. I put down three identical sentences: "A piece of text".
2. I translated the first one.
3. When I moved to the second one the cell was green (100% match) so I hit enter and the translation was inserted - but in white font.
4. I changed the translation to have two different translations for "A piece of text".
5, I moved to the third sentence and the last translation for "A piece of text" was already there, no listing of choices like on your images.

I did some more tests and and I did get a list of fuzzy matches but:

1. when there was one fuzzy match no AC list was displayed - the cell was yellow and I could insert the match by hitting enter and the inserted text was white.
2. when I put different translations for an identical sentence, the AC list (if it showed) always displayed only the last variation.

So I guess I must change some settings but I don't know where to look. By the way, where do you customize the layout of the AC list?

[Edited at 2012-11-22 12:08 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alt + Left/Right Arrow not working in WF Classic 6.03t

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »