WordFast Anywhere: Translation unit...how does it exactly work?
Thread poster: Jacqueline Rosa-Kuhn

Jacqueline Rosa-Kuhn
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 22, 2012

Hi everyone,

Re: WordFast Anywhere

I know this must sound like a silly question for long-time CAT tool users, but even though I've been translating for many years, I always did it as a side income, and not that many projects a year, so I never acquired one.

Now, I am working a full time translator, and I am learning how to use WordFast, and I'm confused about the translation units.

I was under the impression that a translation unit would come up automatically whenever it was found, but it didn't, at least not the way I was expecting.

I was translating a document recently, and as as example:

Segment X to be translated reads: The crowd went crazy when the band started playing!

Segment Y to be translated reads: Incredibly, shortly after the band started playing, the power went off, and . . .

***I was expecting that the section [the band started playing] in segment Y, since it is part of segment X , would come up already translated on segment Y, but it didn't, so I had to translate it again***

Am I doing something wrong, is that the way it works. If that's the case, how then do CAT tools really help you be more productive?

Thanks everyone!

[Edited at 2012-10-22 17:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-22 21:10 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:05
English to French
+ ...
wrong assumption Oct 22, 2012

At least partially wrong. Try enabling "Subsegments from Translation Memory" in Wf Setup | AC.

Assuming you use Wf Classic.

Jacqueline Rosa-Kuhn
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clarification from poster Oct 22, 2012

I am referring to WordFast Anywhere on my my question. Thanks again!

Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:05
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
translation unit Oct 22, 2012

A translation unit is your source segment, so in case of WfA & WfC - the word/phrase highlighted and "standing out" from the crowd of other words/sentences.

If you want to divide your TU into smaller parts, you can use the command "force segment". If you have a little phrase (e.g. "in accordance with") that you know you'd like to translate quickly and in the same way, you can add it as an entry to your Wf Glossary.

Good luck!

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:05
Member (2008)
French to English
% match Oct 22, 2012

Matching goes by percentage match. When only 4 words out of a segment match only 4 words out of a previous segment, the match % is quite low, and may not come up as a match at all. Try lowering the % for finding matches, but even then, with such a small proportion of the segment matching it might not show up. You can set the % match in the control panel somewhere.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast Anywhere: Translation unit...how does it exactly work?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search