Thread poster: Lianne van de Ven

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 4, 2012

Can anyone verify if there is any issue with Google MT in WFP (most recent version)?
Or know of any other reason why my targets are not being populated with a MT (it has always worked up till yesterday)?

When I click the MT button/icon in the toolbar, nothing happens either, except that it changes the score column from N/A to 0.

I just rebooted my machine, to no avail. I don't understand this issue because I don't think I have changed any setting recently, and it used to work just fine (setting is: Perform MT when there is no TM match).

And, for the life of me, I can't find information about my api code:
http://code.google.com/
Nothing api there, and not via my google dashboard either (where it looks like EVERYthing of me has been stored).

Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
Finnish to French
Google Console Nov 4, 2012

Lianne van de Ven wrote:
And, for the life of me, I can't find information about my api code:
http://code.google.com/

The correct address is:
https://code.google.com/apis/console/

Click on API Access:

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Api found & renewed Nov 4, 2012

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for your quick reply and pointing out how to find the api. I found it as well, and renewed my api, although google was already reporting that my api was running fine.

I just checked how WFP is running on my laptop and although not perfect (skipping some segments), MT is working there.

I reinstalled WFP on my desktop not too long ago because of issues. I am thinking that customization (of keys and colors) might cause issues. I get error messages that changes have not been applied, however, they work anyway.

I think I need to send WFP my error log.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
Finnish to French
Renewing API Nov 4, 2012

Not sure what you mean by "renewing your API"? Generating a new API key? Normally, it is not necessary: you can use the same key month after month. What matters is settling your bills every month. This is done automatically if your credit card data is valid.

Customizing of items such as shortcuts and colours should have no effect on the way MT works. MT is primarily affected by your internet connection.

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Erratic at best Nov 4, 2012

Yes, renewing api is generating a new key. For some reason I had to do that once (not because I am not paying my $2/month), so I just gave that a shot again.

The reason that I think that customizing could affect this issue, is because I get error messages at the moment that I apply a customization.

What I don't understand is why WFP would be erratic, and sometimes perform a MT and sometimes not, and just leave a target segment empty.

I have reinstalled WFP, which, for some magical reason, restored the MT function.

I am pretty &%$ right now. I am translating 3000 words today and I have done only 200 because I am just trying to make my software work. It doesn't make sense, and it's not the internet connection as far as I can tell, because everything else is working (browser, skype, laptop, television in the home, all on the same cable).

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Understanding keys Nov 4, 2012

Hi Dominique,

If you could enlighten me on the "when" and "category" columns in the keys customization, I might be able to figure out what I am looking for.

I have about 10 keys customized in the "wordfast scheme".
I don't understand, in particular, the settings for "select next word" and "select previous word".
These shortcuts select next/previous word in the source. I want these keys to select previous/next in the target... This helps me edit text faster. I don't understand what good it would to to select them in the source.

At any rate, I have about 10 customized keys, and I think I observe WFP giving me errors (cannot log the change or something to that effect) when I make (some) changes in these. This time I will customize them one by one and log exactly what I am doing plus the errors that might result so I can better report on this.

However, I still am looking for more basic info, specifically on these "when" and "category" contexts and what they mean or do, because the new manual (3.0) does not mention anything about them.

Thanks.
Lianne

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
100% match not propagated... Nov 5, 2012

I apologize for this dialogue with myself on this forum, but I hope someone might still have a suggestion or experience similar problems, and I am really puzzled.

I just moved to a next segment and nothing appears in the target: no TM match nor a MT translation.
I am surprised that there would not be a TM match, so I perform a concordance search, and I find a sentence in the TM that is a 100% match of my current segment.

Here is a link to a screenshot of what I am looking at (don't know how to display it here).
http://turn-a-phrase.com/images/wordfast-no_matching.jpg

You'll see that target 34 is empty. No MT was entered. Upon the concordance search for the first four words, a 100% match is found in the TM. However, it was not propagated as it normally does.

Now I used the leverage function (which I never use, just following a suggestion in the manual), and see what happens:
http://turn-a-phrase.com/images/wordfast-leveraged.jpg

The score column in the TM view has appeared and, yes, my target is now filled with the TM match.

I don't understand what is happening here, and it is different than before.
I am almost starting to think that I am suffering from severe memory loss myself (me) and it is really very frustrating...

ps: as a last resort I checked my java version and updated from 7 update 7 to 7 update 9.

[Edited at 2012-11-05 00:37 GMT]

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 07:18
English to Arabic
TM Nov 5, 2012

Dear Lianne,

I am reading and I am sorry for the hassle you have.

I suggest you close WFP, and go to the TM folder; delete the files JTX and Lock - be careful, do NOT delete the TXT file as it is the TM!

Now, open WFP, and start working again. Let me know if this helps.

--------------------
My advice (as a translator) is to disable the MT - real-time MT hinders working in CAT tools in general due to time delays. If you need to use the MT, use one of the tools that gives it as external suggestion such as Lingoes, but let this now until you have enough time later.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MT works, 100% matches not Nov 5, 2012

Hi Yasmin,

Thanks for your reply. I removed the .lock and .jtx files.

What I am seeing is that MT seems to work, but 100% matches are not propagated (not sure about matches less than 100%). The only way to find out if there is a match is to perform a concordance search and then to leverage the result if there is one.

In this particular case the problems I am experiencing might be caused by the TM that was provided to me. I don't know. Instead of working with two TM's (my own and the one that was provided), I imported the provided TM into my own. But I am still experiencing the same problems:

Target remains empty at match:
http://turn-a-phrase.com/images/wordfast-empty-target.jpg

Concordance search finds matches:
http://turn-a-phrase.com/images/wordfast-missing-matches.jpg

Leveraging content:
http://turn-a-phrase.com/images/wordfast-leveraging-content.jpg

About Perform TM Lookup automatically that doesn't work either (the target remains empty AND TM matches are not showing up in the TM window):

I have always worked with the setting "Perform TM Lookup automatically" which you and/or someone else recently advised me to disable because WFP was going very slow (on a remote TM).

I don't understand how we can/should work turning this automatic lookup off. I have so many jobs that come with large TM's and I am instructed use terminology from the TM. I need to look up things all the time. It's a lot easier if that gets done automatically.

When there are matches, I double check for the differences - as most best matches are 99% or less, rather than 100%, especially when using larger TM's. If I didn't work this way, my high matches or even 50% matches - for which I get paid only half - would cost me MORE time rather than less.

Generally, it takes me more time to analyze differences between two similar sentences than just simply to translate one sentence.

I am just about at the point that I wonder who ever came up with the idea that so-called matches should be paid only half. I really can't say they save me all that much time. Having to work with TM's that you have to match is an entirely different story than using a TM that you are welcome to use if you choose to. Yes, in the latter case I like working with TM's.

In addition, oftentimes segments that are rated high as matches (85% and up) require a lot of editing, e.g. inserting a fairly large number of tags or rearranging the word order.
Sometimes segments don't even fit on my screen, such as a long list of items, all separated by tags, however, all tags have been moved over one word, e.g.
[{ut5}France{ut6}Italy{ut7}Spain]
needs to be
[{ut4}France{ut5}Italy{ut6}Spain{ut7}]
This rates as a high match, however, it takes me a lot of time to match the source.

At any rate: I need to look up TM's automatically. And at this point, that is not happening. And targets are not being propagated. So I need to find out what causes this. I would be happy you send you the TM and one of my txml's for you to see how it works for you.

Thanks for your patience.
Lianne

PS: Yasmin, the one thing I don't have a problem with is using MT and speed (when it works). It's as fast as I could ever wish for, and so is using my local TM's.

[Edited at 2012-11-05 05:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-11-05 08:16 GMT]

Egypt
English to Arabic
Modified segments cannot be automatically propagated by matches Nov 5, 2012

Dear Lianne,

As far as I can see from the screenshot, the problem in the TXML file. Those segments are "modified" even if they are empty. Modified segments (Pink by default) cannot be automatically propagated by matches. You will have only to use Alt+Space.

The question now is why they are turned into "modified"; for me this might mean the TXML file was edited in an older version of WFP - what is your WFP version?

-------------------
As for *automatic* TM Look up, it works with Ctrl+Down or mouse clicks only.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
version 3.1.0 build 20120803-0719 Nov 5, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

The question now is why they are turned into "modified"; for me this might mean the TXML file was edited in an older version of WFP - what is your WFP version?

Dear Yasmin,

When I open a word file, the segments are "created as modified" and the entire score column contains N/A entries. I did notice this, and failed to investigate it further.

Am I running an old version? I just downloaded/updated this on September 11.

Thanks.
Lianne

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
MT hinders CAT tools Nov 5, 2012

My advice (as a translator) is to disable the MT - real-time MT hinders working in CAT tools in general due to time delays.

I thought I would note that, in my experience, the latest versions of WFC and Studio 2011 are not hindered by MT in the slightest.

Regards,

Olly

Egypt
English to Arabic
Impossible Nov 5, 2012

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

Dear Yasmin,

When I open a word file, the segments are "created as modified" and the entire score column contains N/A entries.

This cannot be the case unless the TXML file was already created and processed somehow.

I suggest that you open a *copy* of your source document again in WF Pro to generate a fresh copy of the TXML file. Then use the toolbar button "Translate All" to pre-translate it.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stumped: it is true. Nov 5, 2012

Dear Yasmin,

I don't have the source files, I receive txml's for many or most jobs.
But I created a brandnew file in word for you and opened it with Wordfast:

http://turn-a-phrase.com/images/wordfast-NA.jpg

This looks exactly the same for both my installations, desktop and laptop.
Are you saying that displaying N/A in the score column is not how it should be?

Based on some screenshots in the manual, I'd think this is not wrong (most screenshots are in text rather than table view, but the text view displays N/A scores for most segments).

When I create a new document that contains a TM match, below is the result.

http://turn-a-phrase.com/images/wordfast-translating.jpg

I first tried "translate all" which turns all N/A's into 0/no matches, or propagates from the TM, OR (when MT is turned on) propagates either from TM or uses MT.

Then I just translated manually, MT turned off. The match does propagate and everything else seems to work as it should.

Since I reinstalled Wordfast yesterday, I don't have issues with the MT anymore, just SOME TM matches that are not propagating.

So I am wondering of some entries in the TM are not valid, and therefore don't propagate.

Please let me know if you think this would be an invalid TM entry (starting with the xx):

xx121104~154409 Lianne 0 EN-US &tA;“&tB;Rating&tC;” filter allows you to view candidates based on their rating. NL-NL &tA;Het filter '&tB;Cijfer&tC;' laat u kandidaten zien op basis van hun cijfers.

Thanks.

Egypt
English to Arabic
What are "modified" segments? Nov 5, 2012

Dear Lianne,

I referred clearly to "modified segments" and told you that they are "Pink" by default. You can even filter them if you go to the Outline Pane and select the filter "Modified Segments". "So I hope you see the difference between what you are referring to and what I am referring to.

If you like you can send me the (problematic) TXML file in private to double-check.

=====================

If the MT works for you, I do not have a problem, and you should not have a problem - no interference.

=====================

Who said that an TU starting with the xx is called "invalid"?! That is rather a way for Wordfast (any product) to mark "deleted" segments. So those translation units in the TM starting with xx simply have no effect.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google MT/api: nothing happening

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search