MonicaVFreit (X)
MonicaVFreit (X)
Brazil
Local time: 08:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 11, 2012

Hello all,

I am a new CAT tool user and after some research I chose and purchased Wordfast Classic 6.03t.

I am in the middle of a translation and I used the quick clean up button on 2 or 3 documents just to see how it worked, well now all my files in that folder, all 31 docs are clean even though I didn't choose to to that.

Can someone eplain why and also tell me how to undo that?

Thanks so much for the help.
MonicaVF

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:22
English to Arabic
Ctrl+Comma Nov 11, 2012

Dear Monica,

Maybe they are not cleaned. Open one of those documents you did NOT clean up, and try to press Ctrl+Comma on your keyboard.

Let us know if this helps

Kind regards,
Yasmin

MonicaVFreit (X)
MonicaVFreit (X)
Brazil
Local time: 08:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clean up docs Nov 11, 2012

Hello Yasmin,

Thank you SO much for such a quick reply. Ok, I did what you said and the unclean doc showed up! So now I have 2 questions:
1- Why are they all showing up as "clean"?
2- How do I really clean up my docs, so that I can upload them to my client? Is there another way other than the Quick clean button?

And if I may, since I have you now, let me ask you another question. One of the do
... See more
Hello Yasmin,

Thank you SO much for such a quick reply. Ok, I did what you said and the unclean doc showed up! So now I have 2 questions:
2- How do I really clean up my docs, so that I can upload them to my client? Is there another way other than the Quick clean button?

And if I may, since I have you now, let me ask you another question. One of the docs had an image, that doesn't show up when I open it up to translate, is there any way of translating images? What about PDFs, can that be done in WC?

Thanks again, I have been watching all your trainings and I appreciate it.

Once I'm done with this translation I will post some more questions I have.

Take care,
Monica
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:22
English to Arabic
Clean up, images and PDF Nov 11, 2012

Dear Monica,

MonicaVFreitas wrote:

Ctrl+Comma is not for cleaning up; it is just for displaying the document to see how it will look like when you clean it up.

MonicaVFreitas wrote:

The "Quick Cleanup" toolbar button should be OK and enough. There are other ways for other purposes, just for your information: http://wordfast.net/wiki/Clean-up_of_Segmented_Files

When you clean up a file, the current document will have the translation only while another document with the extension *bak will be created in the same folder; it is a "backup" for the segmented (unclean) document.

MonicaVFreitas wrote:
One of the docs had an image, that doesn't show up when I open it up to translate, is there any way of translating images?

Your client does not expect you to translate images unless you have applied as a DTP or graphic localizer. Although I can usually localize images, I do not do myself as this would mean unpaid time; I just drop the client a line saying: "What about the images in the document?" Well, I am not sure what you mean by images though; maybe you rather mean a scanned document?

Anyhow, you can isolate the images into a separate document, save/convert them as PDF, and then convert the PDF to text. I do not expect perfect results for such case though; this depends on the complexity of your images - whether they are text only, text on image, charts, etc.

MonicaVFreitas wrote:
What about PDFs, can that be done in WC?

You can convert them in WF Anywhere and then translate the generated document in WF Classic. You can create a free account at: www.FreeTM.com and watch useful videos at: http://www.freetm.com/doc/videos.html

MonicaVFreitas wrote:
Thanks again, I have been watching all your trainings and I appreciate it.

Once I'm done with this translation I will post some more questions I have.

You are very welcome!

Kind regards,
Yasmin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic 6.03t - quick clean up

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »