Wordfast on new computer
Thread poster: scorrell

scorrell
Local time: 07:39
English to German
Nov 12, 2012

Hi,

I just bought a new computer (with Windows 8) and downloaded Wordfast fresh from the wordfast store. But I did not realize that of course now I have to recreate all my settings again. Is there a way to import the wordfast version from my old computer into the new computer with all the settings intact?

Thanks in advance!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Wordfast.ini Nov 13, 2012

If you mean Wordfast Classic, you can copy the file Wordfast.ini from your old Startup folder to the new Startup folder. AppData - Roaming - Microsoft - Word - Startup
For WFP I don't know, probably you have to make the changes to Edit - Preferences.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
For WFP… Nov 13, 2012

…try copying .wf_workspace subdirectory from your user settings directory.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
@esperantisto Nov 13, 2012

esperantisto wrote:

For WFP…try copying .wf_workspace subdirectory from your user settings directory.

This is risky and can cause problems.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
That’s why… Nov 13, 2012

…I say “try”. In any case, you can remove the subdirectory resetting WFP to defaults (and, as a general rule, when you manually modify any program’s settings, make sure to backup the previous ones).

scorrell
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Pro key assignment Nov 13, 2012

is my biggest problem, I need to assign keys for the German umlauts. I used to use Alt plus the ASCII code, but now I need to also put Num Lock on for that to work, which I hate, because it locks out other functions I use.

Jamie Lucero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:39
French to English
WFP preferences/keys export/import Nov 13, 2012

If you are looking to move your settings (from Preferences) and key assignments from one machine to another in a risk-free process, you can simply export a preferences file from WFP on the old machine and then import it into WFP on the new machine. The following is a list of steps to accomplish this:
  1. Open WFP on the old machine and Press Ctrl+3 (top keyboard row, not numeric keypad) to make the Quick Access box appear
  2. Type "preferences" (no quotes) and select Export (Export Wizard: Preferences) - Export when it appears in the list
  3. When the dialog box appears, choose Export all and then click Browse
  4. Choose a name and location for your export file and click Save
  5. Back at the main dialog box, click Finish
  6. Copy the exported preferences file to the new machine
  7. Open WFP on the new machine and Press Ctrl+3 (top keyboard row, not numeric keypad) to make the Quick Access box appear
  8. Type "preferences" and select Import (Import Wizard: Preferences) - Import when it appears in the list
  9. When the dialog box appears, choose Import all and then click Browse
  10. Locate your exported preferences file and click Open
  11. Back at the main dialog box, click Finish to complete the transfer

WARNING: As far as I can tell, this process transfers all the preferences and custom key assignments. However, I cannot guarantee that it captures everything you have customized. In addition, it does not carry over projects, TMs, or glossaries. These last items have to be transferred manually (and glossaries require their own export and import process to move).

scorrell
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jamie!! Nov 13, 2012

it worked and not only are all my preferences back, it also fixed the problem with needing the Num Lock for my German Umlauts - thanks so much, it saved me a lot of frustration!!

Egypt
English to Arabic
German umlauts Nov 13, 2012

scorrell wrote:

is my biggest problem, I need to assign keys for the German umlauts. I used to use Alt plus the ASCII code, but now I need to also put Num Lock on for that to work, which I hate, because it locks out other functions I use.

Could you please elaborate or the problem of German umlauts. As far as I can see, there are already shortcuts for them in WFP. You can check Help menu > Shortcut list. Can not you use the default shortcuts?

TIA,
Yasmin

scorrell
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Umlauts Nov 13, 2012

I don't see the Umlauts in the Shortcut key list, but anyway, this is the way I have been working for years, and it works again, so I am happy!

Egypt
English to Arabic
Umlauts Nov 13, 2012

scorrell wrote:

I don't see the Umlauts in the Shortcut key list, but anyway, this is the way I have been working for years, and it works again, so I am happy!

If they are not on the shortcut list, how come that you have customized the keys?

I am happy that you are happy. It is just that this thread is public, and some people might come here and have misconceptions.

If I am mistaken, I would be so happy that someone corrects me. Are not German Umlauts on the default list of WFP shortcuts?

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2012-11-13 22:12 GMT]

scorrell
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Umlauts Nov 13, 2012

I did not see Umlauts on the list, or any special characters for that matter, just short cut keys for wordfast functions.
My keys are not customized, I just use Alt + ASCII code to get what I need.

Egypt
English to Arabic
Accented Characters Nov 13, 2012

Here is a list of shortcut lists supported by Wordfast Pro:
http://www.wordfast.com/WFP2/Working_with_Advanced_options/Accented_characters.htm

They all work perfectly here, including the Umlaut.

HTH,
Yasmin

Egypt
English to Arabic
Disclaimer Nov 14, 2012

Dear Jamie and All,

Jamie Lucero wrote:

If you are looking to move your settings (from Preferences) and key assignments from one machine to another in a risk-free process, you can simply export a preferences file from WFP on the old machine and then import it into WFP on the new machine. The following is a list of steps to accomplish this:
  1. Open WFP on the old machine and Press Ctrl+3 (top keyboard row, not numeric keypad) to make the Quick Access box appear
  2. Type "preferences" (no quotes) and select Export (Export Wizard: Preferences) - Export when it appears in the list
  3. When the dialog box appears, choose Export all and then click Browse
  4. Choose a name and location for your export file and click Save
  5. Back at the main dialog box, click Finish
  6. Copy the exported preferences file to the new machine
  7. Open WFP on the new machine and Press Ctrl+3 (top keyboard row, not numeric keypad) to make the Quick Access box appear
  8. Type "preferences" and select Import (Import Wizard: Preferences) - Import when it appears in the list
  9. When the dialog box appears, choose Import all and then click Browse
  10. Locate your exported preferences file and click Open
  11. Back at the main dialog box, click Finish to complete the transfer

WARNING: As far as I can tell, this process transfers all the preferences and custom key assignments. However, I cannot guarantee that it captures everything you have customized. In addition, it does not carry over projects, TMs, or glossaries. These last items have to be transferred manually (and glossaries require their own export and import process to move).

Thanks, Jamie, for your adventurous tip. However, after checking with the WFP Development, I have received the following reply:

>> This "feature" was not planned nor added by our developers.
>> This is a third party shortcut feature inherited from Eclipse, and we cannot guarantee its functionality.
>> We will propose the thorough testing of this feature to the QA, and then we will decide on keeping or removing it.

Again, as far as I can see, the exported file includes system and WFP version specific data, which might mean that it can cause problems with different operating systems, configurations, and/or WFP versions.

To conclude, we do not offer any support to and we are not responsible for any consequences resulted from using such features that are not documented by Wordfast manuals or official resources.

Kind regards,
Yasmin
WF Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast on new computer

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search