Thread poster: Mandy Liang
Mandy Liang
Mandy Liang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:14
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2012

For most time, I translate from English to simplified Chinese. On such occasion, the Microsoft MT works well.

Rarely, I get jobs with a ZH-TW target language. I then create a new TM with, for example, a EN-US > ZH-TW (traditional Chinese used in Taiwan) language pair.

In WF pro, when I changed the target language of a project, the leveraging of Microsoft MT is fine that it will produce the result I want according to the change.

But in the case of WF cla
... See more
For most time, I translate from English to simplified Chinese. On such occasion, the Microsoft MT works well.

Rarely, I get jobs with a ZH-TW target language. I then create a new TM with, for example, a EN-US > ZH-TW (traditional Chinese used in Taiwan) language pair.

In WF pro, when I changed the target language of a project, the leveraging of Microsoft MT is fine that it will produce the result I want according to the change.

But in the case of WF classic, the MT just doesn't work, it's wired. I only created a new tm with a different target language, such as ZH-TW, and changed nothing else of the settings and I started to work, pressing ALT + Down Arrow. Instead of getting the mt suggestion, there is a message which reads

"Argument Exception Method: Translate() Parameter: to Message: 'to' must be a valid language
Parameter name: to message id=1035.V2_Rest.Translate.398A45B2"

I run the MT test, the result turns out to be like this:

"The URLs below are used by Wordfast. They can be manually tested in a browser:

http://api.microsofttranslator.com/v2/Http.svc/Translate?contentType=text/plain&from=en&to=zh-CHW0&text=My%20black%20cat%20is%20sleeping."

to=zh-CH? what's that? I know ZH-CN (Chinese, PRC), ZH-SG (Chinese, Singapore), ZH-TW (Chinese, Taiwan), but I have no idea about zh-CH.

I assure you I have followed the prompt and entered ZH-TW as the target language code.

SO, how to fix that?
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
Finnish to French
Language codes for Chinese in Google Translate and Microsoft Translator Nov 23, 2012

I just used Wordfast Anywhere to test translation from English into Chinese (simplified and traditional), using Google Translate and Microsoft Translator. Here is what I got:

Google Translate:
EN: The brown fox jumps over the old lazy dog
zh-CN: 棕色狐狸跳过了老懒惰的狗
zh-TW: 棕色狐狸跳過了老懶惰的狗

Microsoft Translator:
zh-CHS: 棕毛狐狸跃过旧的那只懒狗
... See more
I just used Wordfast Anywhere to test translation from English into Chinese (simplified and traditional), using Google Translate and Microsoft Translator. Here is what I got:

Google Translate:
zh-CN: 棕色狐狸跳过了老懒惰的狗
zh-TW: 棕色狐狸跳過了老懶惰的狗

Microsoft Translator:
zh-CHS: 棕毛狐狸跃过旧的那只懒狗
zh-CHT: 棕毛狐狸躍過舊的那只懶狗

As you can see, the language codes for simplified and traditional Chinese are not the same in Google and in Microsoft. The problem with Wordfast Classic is that it doesn't convert correctly zh-TW into the code expected by Microsoft Translator. I will mention this to the developer and report.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Dominique: (slightly off topic) Nov 23, 2012

Looks like a similar problem to what is happening in memoQ with the language variants and Microsoft Translator...

Michael

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
Finnish to French
memoQ Nov 23, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
Looks like a similar problem to what is happening in memoQ with the language variants and Microsoft Translator...

Yes, it's quite likely Chinese wouldn't work at all with Microsoft Translator in the current version of memoQ.

Mandy Liang
Mandy Liang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:14
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
..... Nov 24, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Yes, it's quite likely Chinese wouldn't work at all with Microsoft Translator in the current version of memoQ.

HI Dominique,

Thank you very much. I have searched a lot , and finally found your post and the reply from Yves http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast_beta/message/12796

It helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help!!! Wired Language codes with Microsoft MT in WF Classic 6.03t

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »