Thread poster: Birgit Richter
Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:23
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 25, 2012

... and I can't open it. It opens on my little netbook, but not on my main system (a laptop). When I click on the executable file, nothing happens.

Has someone had the same problem and how did they solve it?

Thank you very much.

Birgit Richter

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:23
English to Arabic
64-bit? Nov 26, 2012

Dear Birgit,

Is it a 64-bit Linux?

If so, WFP does not officially support 64-bit Linux. Search this forum for workarounds.

If not, try to update Java.

Please keep me informed.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:23
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Run from the terminal… Nov 26, 2012

…and show the output.

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Marketing vs real life Nov 26, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

If so, WFP does not officially support 64-bit Linux.

Dear colleagues,

Am I the only one here who feels some discrepancy between the above sentence and the marketing statement of Wordfast? Cited from www.wordfast.com:

"The #1 standalone translation memory tool for any platform "

It is a pity that this problem persists for ages and support redirects you to an user forum for the solution.

Regards,

Gyula

[Módosítva: 2012-11-26 10:08 GMT]

Egypt
English to Arabic
Marketing vs. Support Nov 26, 2012

Dear Gyula,

Gyula Erdész wrote:

"The #1 standalone translation memory tool for any platform "

You cannot fully believe in marketing! Simply, all the TEnTs pretend they are "the #1"; so apparently they cannot all be right.

Again, any operating system might suggest that WF Pro can work on Android or iPad whatever, which is not true at all. (Do not confuse it with browser-based WF Anywhere!)

In my humble opinion, what should be corrected is rather the "Supported Platforms" page, which we have requested before, and this is a reminder:
http://www.wordfast.com/support_platforms.html

Gyula Erdész wrote:

It is a pity that this problem persists for ages and support redirects you to an user forum for the solution.

As far as I can see, most 64-bit Linux users are able to install and use WF PRo with some trick: installing ia32-sun-java6-bin and then by running the command update-alternatives --config java and choosing the 32 bits Java. Some users sent detailed descriptions on the group as well. Apparently, this requires a good Linux experience, and WF support does not offer Linux technical support.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How I see this problem Nov 26, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Again, any operating system might suggest that WF Pro can work on Android or iPad whatever, which is not true at all.

Nobody ever expects that a desktop software should run on a mobile phone OS.

On the other hand, platform independence means for 9 out of 10 computer users a software that can run on both hardware platform (PC, Mac) and the three main software platform (windows, Linux, MacOS.), without restriction (32 bit yes, 64 bit, not really).

In my opinion, you simply do not want to take the time and effort to develop Wordfast Pro to provide full compatibility with 64 bit Linux, as this is probably the smallest segment of the CAT-tool market. This is not a problem, this is business.

The problem is that you are advertising your software as platform independent which is simply untrue.

Regards,

Gyula

Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Pro 4 supports 64-bit Linux Nov 26, 2012

Dear Gyula,

Gyula Erdész wrote:

In my opinion, you simply do not want to take the time and effort to develop Wordfast Pro to provide full compatibility with 64 bit Linux, as this is probably the smallest segment of the CAT-tool market. This is not a problem, this is business.

Not exactly; Wordfast Pro 4 beta already supports 64-bit Linux; however, it will take some time until it is released.

Thanks for your invaluable feedback!

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Good news Nov 26, 2012

Dear Jasmin,

Not exactly; Wordfast Pro 4 beta already supports 64-bit Linux; however, it will take some time until it is released.

This is great! Thank you.

Kind regards,
Gyula

Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Nov 28, 2012

... for your tips. I have now installed WFPro on my old (ancient) laptop which has Ubuntu 9.04 on it. It appears to be working, I will now test it for a little bit and then decide whether I want to renew my old expired licence.

Regards,

Birgit

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:23
English to German
+ ...
Perhaps you should sell your ancient computer gem and buy a new one? Nov 28, 2012

I just read that an old Apple 1 computer has sold at an auction in Cologne, Germany, on Saturday for EUR 400,000 (approximately US 630.000).

You can read about it here:

http://bazonline.ch/digital/computer/Unglaublich-unglaublich--der-aelteste-Apple-der-Welt-findet-einen-Kaeufer/story/28825859

Perhaps you should sell your ancient computer gem and buy a new one?

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
WFP 4? Jan 29, 2013

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Yasmin,

Any news regarding Wordfast Pro 4? When (in which quarter of 2013) it will it be released? Does it get a new, proper terminology module?

Thanks for the information in advance.

Best regards,

Gyula

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying to run WFPro (3.1.1) (Version for Linux) on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search