Esther Rodrigo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:48
Member (2012)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 27, 2012

Good morning,

I have been following very carefully the latest posts on Wordfast TM and terminology, since I realized I had a problem as well, but could not quite put the finger on it. It has nothing to do with the file format but with the content of the Wordfast glossaries. I knew they were somehow confused, but could not understand why or how it had happened. The meaning of some words seemed to change, and when trying to edit the glossary in order to fix it, those words were not there. I tried deleting the .bak and .old files, as suggested, but it was not of much help.

I just found a good example of this confusion inside the glossaries: I was translating a German text into Spanish and the tool suggested for the word "Wettbewerbsfaktor" a wrong translation, which puzzled me. Looked for the word into the glossary and found out that this particular word was not even in it. The suggested translation was indeed the right one for another word ("Wettbewerbsverbot") which actually was in the glossary. The meaning of both words is quite different. It is as if the glossary only or mainly took into account the beginning of the words. This is a big problem when working with a language like German, in which words are very often made up of other words.

Is there perhaps a way to edit my preferences regarding terminology that could solve this inconvenience? Otherwise, I am very happy with the tool.

Kind regards,

Esther Rodrigo

Direct link Reply with quote

Hedwig Lugaro  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:48
Spanish to French
+ ...
Maybe the fuzzy terminology option is activated Nov 27, 2012

Hi Esther,

It happened to me and I solved it by checking the box "Disable automatic fuzzy Terminology recognition" option, under Preferences -> Terminology.
I hope this helps!

Have a nice day!

Hedwig

Esther Rodrigo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:48
Member (2012)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Nov 27, 2012

That was the solution, indeed. Thank you, Hedwig.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 3.1: Terminology mix-up

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search