WF Classic Translation Memory
Thread poster: Jack Ward

Jack Ward  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
Nov 28, 2012

Hi everyone,

I have been using WF Classic for just over a year now, and have a question regarding the TM function.

Is it possible to adjust the settings so that the TM recognises strings of, say, 5 words or more? At present, my TM only recognises complete segments that I have translated almost word for word, and which are almost identical. If, for example, I have translated the following segment before:

'The man went to the shop and bought himself an apple and a banana',

and it appears exactly like this in a future translation, the TM will automatically fill in the Target Segment for me, which is great.

However, if I am faced with a segment containing:

'It was a cold mid-November afternoon. The man went to the shop and bought himself an apple and a banana, for which he paid £1.50',

the TM does not recognise this string of text which I have already translated before. Is there a way that I can rectify this, so that the TM recognises strings of words, and not only entire segments, or do I simply have to enter all of these strings into my glossary?

Best regards,

Jack

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:25
Finnish to French
fuzzy threshold, expression search, glossaries Nov 28, 2012

There are two mechanisms for increasing leverage at the segment and subsegment level: 1) lowering the fuzzy threshold (default: 75%, lowest possible value in WFC: 50%), 2) enabling expression search (in Terminology > Other).

However, what you would want to do in your case is add phrases to a glossary.

memoQ has a feature called LSC that does exactly what you want:
http://kilgray.com/memoq/60/help-en/index.html?longest_substring_concordance_.html
Unfortunately, WFC hasn't got such a feature. Expression search is the closest thing there is to it.

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:25
English to French
+ ...
Try Subsegments from TM Nov 28, 2012

In addition to what Dominique wrote:

In theory, the Wordfast | Setup | AC | Subsegments from Translation Memory function ought to do what you want.

I wrote "in theory" because that function does not always work well (and, in some beta versions, may even have been disabled, although this should not be your concern), depending on the version you are using.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:25
Finnish to French
AC & subsegments from TM Nov 28, 2012

JL01 wrote:
In theory, the Wordfast | Setup | AC | Subsegments from Translation Memory function ought to do what you want.

I wrote "in theory" because that function does not always work well (and, in some beta versions, may even have been disabled, although this should not be your concern), depending on the version you are using.

Indeed: "in theory"! In practice, I have never got anything from it. I think it's safe to say that feature just doesn't work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Classic Translation Memory

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search