accepted track changes in MS Word keep being resurrected in Wordfast Pro
Thread poster: Nadezhda Kirichenko

Nadezhda Kirichenko  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:11
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 15, 2013

Hello,

I have something which appears to be a reoccurring issue.

Techincal background:

- Apple Mac
- using the latest Wordfast Pro (updated yesterday)
- working with Ms Office Word .docx file

I have a file that was sent to me for translation that originally contained track changes (deletions, comments, insertions). Before opening the file in Wordfast I have "Accepted all" changes and deleted all comments + set the document to display "final without track changes" option. However when the document gets opened in Wordfast the text which has been deleted reappears in the source section.

Now I am wondering whether this is something to do with the fact that it's the second version of the document that I have previously been translating and, perhaps, is due to the fact that I am using an "old TM" for the new file and it's not in "Read only" mode? Can't think of anything else that may cause this.

The original file is in .docx format, I tried changing the name, tried changing it into .doc - but to no avail. I still see the deleted text in the "newly opened" file in Wordfast.

Basically, if this persists and no solution is found I am wondering what would be the best approach to reflect the amendments in the final text - do them manually in Word? Luckily there's not that many of them, but it's still rather annoying.

Please help!!!

[Edited at 2013-01-15 23:12 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:11
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
A few steps Jan 16, 2013

My system set up might not apply to yours, I work on windows.
But the procedure is this:
Open the word doc with edits and save it as "edits-clean".

Then (in this newly saved document) perform "accept all changes".

After you do this, all comments are automatically removed and there should be no effect for "display without track changes" - because they have been all accepted and removed. If that's not the case, you have not properly accepted all edits.

When I apply this to a file with edits, it opens as cleaned up final version in WFP.

If there are edits, WFP will give an error message with instruction to first accept all changes, as you probably know.

I think your problem might arise from not first "saving as" of the original file with track changes.

Whatever is in your TM has no effect whatsoever on what displays in your txml document.
AFAIK "read only" is not relevant either. WFP makes its own txml file based on the word file that is selected.

Also, you don't "change" the extension of documents (docx into doc): you need to use "save as" and select the format in the second field.

See if any of this helps.

Regards,
Lianne

English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re "edits clean" Jan 17, 2013

Hi Lianne, thanks for your comments and time!

I've in fact done all that in various combinations, including the way you are suggesting and it doesn't seem to help.

And when I said I "changed" the extension I meant the entire process of opening and saving under Word 2003 .doc (apologies for not making it clear).

The problem remains and after some further investigation I've discovered that not all the "accepted changes" come up, but only a few and when I search for such text in the cleaned document in Word (opening it normally in MS word) via the word search function the accepted text does not come up but it's still seen in Wordfast so I am starting to think that the text was actually embedded into the document in some weird way that is not cleaned by the Word "accept all changes" function.

I know there is software on the market that cleans Word documents (such as Workshare) post track changes as sometimes even once the mark-up has been accepted there might still be "unseen" amendments, notes, time stamps left in the doc, etc. And for the time being I blame it on that. Can't really figure out what else may be causing the problem.

All the best,
Nadya

[Edited at 2013-01-17 12:58 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 00:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
RTF / LibreOffice? Jan 17, 2013

Did you try opening it in TextEdit, and save it as RTF, open it in Word:mac and convert it back? Or opening it in LibreOffice, save as ODT, convert it back to DOCX?

Cheers,

Hans

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:11
Finnish to French
Send document to the hotline Jan 17, 2013

Nadezhda Kirichenko wrote:
And when I said I "changed" the extension I meant the entire process of opening and saving under Word 2003 .doc (apologies for not making it clear).

The problem remains and after some further investigation I've discovered that not all the "accepted changes" come up, but only a few and when I search for such text in the cleaned document in Word (opening it normally in MS word) via the word search function the accepted text does not come up but it's still seen in Wordfast so I am starting to think that the text was actually embedded into the document in some weird way that is not cleaned by the Word "accept all changes" function.

Nadya: can you send a copy of your original source document (before and after accepting all tracked changes) to the hotline? You can contact the hotline by logging in to your account at wordfast.net and selecting 'Contact the hotline'.

English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re. hotline Jan 19, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Nadya: can you send a copy of your original source document (before and after accepting all tracked changes) to the hotline? You can contact the hotline by logging in to your account at wordfast.net and selecting 'Contact the hotline'.

good idea, thanks!

English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re. rtf Jan 19, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Did you try opening it in TextEdit, and save it as RTF, open it in Word:mac and convert it back? Or opening it in LibreOffice, save as ODT, convert it back to DOCX?

Cheers,

Hans

I did not actually, will try it and let you know whether it works thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

accepted track changes in MS Word keep being resurrected in Wordfast Pro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search