WordFast does not import TUs from TMX file
Thread poster: Adine Versluis

Adine Versluis
Netherlands
Local time: 15:03
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 24, 2013

I received a TMX file from my client, which I tried to add to WordFast. It does not give any error messages, but at the end of the process, it says that there were 0 TUs added, even though there are thousands in the file (it also says that). Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I use WordFast 3.0.0 for Mac.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
More info Jan 24, 2013

There are more than one ways in which TMX files can be incompatible, so we'll probably need more information to solve this.
The simplest way for you to give us all the necessary info is to post the offending TMX file and a TMX file exported from Wordfast (in the same language combination). So, upload the two TMX files to dropbox, google drive or rapidshare and post a link.
If the files are are confidential, you can remove all translation units except the first one. Open the TMX in a text editor and look for <seg> tags.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:03
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Also Jan 24, 2013

try Okapi Olifant for conversion.

Adine Versluis
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not for Mac Jan 24, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

I've tried that, but that does not seem to be available for Mac, only Windows.

Adine Versluis
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remove all text? Jan 24, 2013

FarkasAndras wrote:

There are more than one ways in which TMX files can be incompatible, so we'll probably need more information to solve this.
The simplest way for you to give us all the necessary info is to post the offending TMX file and a TMX file exported from Wordfast (in the same language combination). So, upload the two TMX files to dropbox, google drive or rapidshare and post a link.
If the files are are confidential, you can remove all translation units except the first one. Open the TMX in a text editor and look for tags.

I've checked the file, and there are over 26.000 seg-tags, can I remove the entire text, or must all the text between those seg-tags be removed manually?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Olifant is for Windows Jan 24, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

She said she's using a Mac
But if she has access to a Windows machine, Olifant is indeed a good alternative. So is WfConverter, which can be used not only to convert TM's from .sdltm to .tmx, but also from .tmx to Wordfast's .txt (and the other way round). In fact, it was WfConverter's original raison d'être (back when it was called "Wf2TMX").

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Olifant is cross-platform currently Jan 24, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Indeed, but what’s the difference? I use Linux and have no problem running Okapi and wf2tmx via Crossover. Crossover is available for MacOS X as well. Besides, Olifant tools are cross-platform (Java-based) currently. I believe, there’s still a converter therein.

[Edited at 2013-01-24 12:38 GMT]

Adine Versluis
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried Jan 24, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

esperantisto wrote:

But if she has access to a Windows machine, Olifant is indeed a good alternative. So is WfConverter, which can be used not only to convert TM's from .sdltm to .tmx, but also from .tmx to Wordfast's .txt (and the other way round). In fact, it was WfConverter's original raison d'être (back when it was called "Wf2TMX").

I've asked someone to use Olifant on it, but then it just says (in WordFast):

Failed to connect. Translation memory header is invalid.:

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No need to install other sw Jan 24, 2013

TMX incompatibilities like this are generally due to something trivial, like the wrong language codes or some minor difference in the header. With a bit of knowledge about TMX, it's easy to spot how two files differ, so it's often much easier to fix the problem by hand than to install and learn some TMX processing software. 3rd party software also may or may not fix the issue and may corrupt the file, introduce other incompatibilities or remove/change metadata (such as TU creation timestamps, creation IDs, additional text fields etc.).
Of course if the error is something like a corrupt character in the file, running it through sw may help.

Adine Versluis
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Jan 24, 2013

I'm not sure if this works for everybody, but I finally got it to work.

I opened the TMX file in a Text Editor and removed all *'s from the file (read that somewhere)

and then I changed all the 'fr' tags into FR-FR (which I saw in a WordFast file) and all the nl tags into NL-NL. I did get an error message for two TUs, those appeared to be empty, but the rest was imported.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
There you go Jan 24, 2013

Well done. Perhaps it would be worth testing which of the two things you did helped, and possibly report the issue to Wordfast. Even if they don't fix it, their software should at least issue a meaningful error message in cases like this.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
all Jan 24, 2013

Adine Versluis wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

If the files are are confidential, you can remove all translation units except the first one. Open the TMX in a text editor and look for tags.

I've checked the file, and there are over 26.000 seg-tags, can I remove the entire text, or must all the text between those seg-tags be removed manually?

This got resolved in the meantime, but it would have been sufficient to go to the end of the first TU (i.e. the first </tu> tag) and simply delete everything after that. This way you also delete two tags from the very end of the file, making it technically a broken TMX, but that's easy to fix.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Okapi vs. Olifant Jan 24, 2013

esperantisto wrote:
Indeed, but what’s the difference? I use Linux and have no problem running Okapi and wf2tmx via Crossover. Crossover is available for MacOS X as well. Besides, Olifant tools are cross-platform (Java-based) currently.

I think you are mixing up Okapi and Olifant. Their names both start with an "O" and they have the same author (Yves Savourel), but they are different things.

Okapi is a suite of tools with funny names (Rainbow, Checkmate, Ratel etc.), and it is indeed multiplatform (being Java-based).

Olifant is part of an older version of Okapi and it's .NET-based, and as such Windows-only. It's the only Okapi component that hasn't been ported to Java.

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sort of Jan 25, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I think you are mixing up Okapi and Olifant. Their names both start with an "O" and they have the same author (Yves Savourel), but they are different things.

Not that different. In Windows Start menu, the Olifant entry is listed under Okapi tools title. But yes, the cross-platform version of Okapi tools does not include any equivalent to Oliftant.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast does not import TUs from TMX file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search